Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by ashleygill03 »

I'll start with this. I love the books. I like the movie.
I've seen it three times. The first I was disappointed, but it was midnight, and I had high expectations.

Here are my problems..
Neither Bella nor Edward says I love you once throughout the course of the movie. Strange.
The first hour of the movie was very choppy. It moved too fast and too slow if that makes sense at all.
The developing love between Bella and Edward seems very cheapened in the movie version. It's rushed, and I didn't buy it. I felt puppy love rather than an eternal deep connection. If they were to get one thing right it needed to be that their love was believable.
The camera angles were just plain bad. What was up with ALL THE FACES?

Now I think they did some things VERY well
Kellan Lutz captured the essence of Emmett perfectly. I can't wait to see his character further developed.
Billy Burke as Charlie was phenomenal.
Carlisle looked exactly like a vampire.
I love the dialogue between Charlie and Billy.
I think Bella and Jacob interacted well.
Nikki Reed really got Rosalie down in my opinion.
The music fit in very well.
Rob really carried the movie, he did a great job, even though he was given some corny lines (spider monkey? seriously?)
The bad vamps were believable and I liked them.
Jessica did great.

All in all, I liked more than I didn't like.. but I think the core of the story was lost on the movie. I think they needed some more lines.. even if they had to remove a scene somewhere. Kristen needed to look and speak like she was in love.. not annoyed. That bothers me. But she did good before Edward and throughout the fight scene I think.
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

TinyDancer wrote: Does anyone else really really like Emmett now? Holy cow he is gorgeous!!!!
Emmett is definitely hotter than I imagined! I don't know though...wearing his hat to the side and hunching over the Jeep? Cute, and funny, but not exactly vampire-like. Oh well, I guess that is how Emmett comes off.

rockiemtngirl wrote: The relationship between Edward and Bella never gets developed. For me, that was the biggest failure. Another big problem for me was that there really isn't a story to follow in the movie - it seems like random scenes that don't even fit well together.
EXACTLY. I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I'll just comment on the random scenes. Where the HECK were the transitions? It was just a compilation of random parts of the book put one after the other in choppy sequences. If I hadn't read the amazingness that is Twilight, I'd constantly be thinking "okay...what was that all about?" I mean really.
ashleygill03 wrote:The developing love between Bella and Edward seems very cheapened in the movie version. It's rushed, and I didn't buy it. I felt puppy love rather than an eternal deep connection. If they were to get one thing right it needed to be that their love was believable.
The camera angles were just plain bad. What was up with ALL THE FACES
I definitely agree. I found myself laughing at some of my favorite lines!! They sounded so... fake and forced. I don't know. It just came off all wrong for me. And yes, there were a lot of awkward angles.
Last edited by twilight1909 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
Twilighter28
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilighter28 »

rockiemtngirl wrote:I'm being honest
Well - I love books! In any genre, the books are usually better than the movie - but this movie takes that thought to a whole new level. I was so disappointed. The relationship between Edward and Bella never gets developed. For me, that was the biggest failure. Another big problem for me was that there really isn't a story to follow in the movie - it seems like random scenes that don't even fit well together. I'm not sure why scenes were put in the movie that were not in the book - those scenes really didn't make a lot of sense, especially when so much that is the heart of the Twilight book was cut out.
Also - what happened to Edward? In the book he is a stronger personality and more possessive of Bella. That was something I loved about him. For me, Robert Pattinson looks the part - I just wish he would have been given the opportunity to act the part. Regarding Bella - I think Kristen Stewart looked the part for me, but didn't get to fully act the part of Bella due to the very poor screen adaptation and direction. In general, I thought the casting was good- although Rosalie looked far to old to pass for a highschool student! My wish list for the sequel: Dump the director and whoever did the screen adaptation and script! Please!!! The movie is taking in big money because of the huge fan base, **not** because it is a good movie. When you walk out being this disappointed, how can you consider it a success? I

Yes exactly!!! Without the development of Edward and Bella's relationship there would be NO Twilight, period. That is the story line. The other things that happen just add to the book. The movie is only bringing in big $$ because of the hype that has surrounded it and the books, not b/c it was a theatrical masterpiece!
Twilighter28
Settled in Forks

Post by Twilighter28 »

Another big problem for me was that there really isn't a story to follow in the movie - it seems like random scenes that don't even fit well together. I'm not sure why scenes were put in the movie that were not in the book - those scenes really didn't make a lot of sense, especially when so much that is the heart of the Twilight book was cut out.

Again you are right on with this. It was so incredibly choppy - horrible transitions which just added to the lackluster romance going on in the movie. I swear Bella didn't smile once. I realize their relationship in the book was an intense one, but geez at least act like you are in love. It almost would have seemed silly if they said "I love you" because it was so rushed it would have seemed out of place and cheesy - kind of like when he said "you are my life now" - when you read the books it fits when he says it, but in the movie it seemed awkward - b/c you're like "are they really in love already???"
paddymay
Settled in Forks

Post by paddymay »

Things I Disliked

* I don't think they developed Bella and Edward falling in love enough. It just randomly happened. If I hadn't read the books, I would be wondering when exactly did they fall in love.
*I hated the special effects with the running and jumping. Just...no.
*The meadow scene...ugh. They butchered it with a capital "B". The entire scene where she tells him she knows what he is and he's trying to scare her was done too choppily and cheesily. My friends and I were cracking up the entire time.
*They didn't play the eyes thing up enough.
*Some of the scenes were unintentionally funny.

Things I Liked. A Whole Freaking Lot.

*Kellan Lutz. "Her name is Bella, duh." Gah, he was so awesome.
*All of the Cullens were fantastic. They didn't have much screen time but when they were there you knew it. I also loved when Bella met them and how embarrassed Edward was; so normal.
*Taylor Lautner. I've heard a lot of complaints that he wasn't Jacob and that he was wooden but I didn't see that at all. In fact, I thought all of the actors (yes, even Kristin and Rob) did a fantastic job with what they were given. I can totally see Taylor as New Moon Jacob.
*Um, did I mention Kellan Lutz?
*"That's my monkey-man." Nikki Reed was fantastic.
*The humans. Don't ask me how Mike and Jessica went from annoying to loveable. I'm still trying to process it.
*The baseball scene and the prom scene were awesomesauce.

All in all, I really liked the movie. There were some parts I disliked but I went in with lower expectations than a lot of people I know and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it. Definitely seeing it a second time.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujSLy_aZ29I

i guess that scene wasn't as bad as i thought it was.. haha when he glares at her.. wow.

i think people were laughing not because its funny--- well it is when she smells her hair.. but because its exciting seeing your favorite scenes on the big screen.. i am like that with Harry potter.
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
twilight1909

Post by twilight1909 »

Man there is a lot of copyright infringement going on... WOW though, Rob's glare made me melt! I think I was too busy laughing the first time I saw that. I still don't like the hand-over-the-mouth thing, but the stare...right on.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
brunetterebel010
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by brunetterebel010 »

WOW!
I just got back from seeing the movie.
I
Loved
It!
My absolute favorite things were:
Jasper(I love southern boys), I even liked his hair :)
I loved the baseball scene, it was brilliant!!! Every last second of it!

I loved the scene when Edward and Bella walk across the parking lot (Rob in his sunglasses) and he throws his arm around her and says "As long as i'm going to hell" and just grins. It was dazzling.

I loved all of the prom scene, it looked to me like those movies set a hundred years ago with the ballrooms and the dancing and the romance. It fit Edward perfectly.

Don't ask me why, but in the ballet studio when Emmett and Jasper and Alice are burning James, and they're like dancing. I though it was great. Like a war dance or something, it creeped some people out, but I liked the effect...

I laughed:
At Mike in the window
Charlie and the pepper spray
Charlie and the gun
Charlie and Billy talkin like kids
Every time I saw Emmett, just because I love him, and he was so darn CUTE :)

Parts of it were a little akward, some of Edward's best lines were weird the way they got worked in (like his sudden insistence she sim him sparkle) it was okay, but it was like they were thrown in just to be sure they got in there...but it was cute akwardness :)

All in all the good stuff TOTALLY outweighed the bad stuff.
I think my mom cried when Bella left Charlie(and my mom NEVER crieds)

Edward was sexy
Jasper was REALLY sexy :) (just cuz hes my favorite)
and Emmett was just cute :)
Jacob was cute

The death glares from Rosalie were PERFECT!

and in case no one noticed at the end credits when it was showing the characters, the part where it re-played Carlisle biting Esme, that was sexy too...(I have no clue why but I though it was...)

When Rob's accent slipped and he went all British, I swooned a little bit (i'm a sucker for accents especially Australian and British one, needless to say I listened to Laurent every time he opened his mouth)

all in all in all I loved it, and I'm going again tomorrow night
Backhoe Trainee EDC. Inc.
Check out my book! Something Darker http://inkpop.com/projects/71416/something-darker/

Banner by jrsygurl!
mananda
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mananda »

Did anyone catch the part when Edward gives Bella a ride to school and when they get there she said "everyone is looking at us" and Edward said "not that guy. oh, he just looked." :lol: I didn't understand what he said there the first time I saw it but I caught it the second time.

I just thought it really funny...
jess_marie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by jess_marie »

mananda wrote:Did anyone catch the part when Edward gives Bella a ride to school and when they get there she said "everyone is looking at us" and Edward said "not that guy. oh, he just looked." :lol: I didn't understand what he said there the first time I saw it but I caught it the second time.

I just thought it really funny...

Hahaha yeah, I caught it.
I laughed really loud and no one else really did..
So I'm guessing not many people caught it.

TEAM EDWARD
because vampires sparkle, duh.