Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

I was just thinking when i saw it " yeah right, like the Cullens would go to some crappy field trip! "
I was really looking forward to the bit where Edward blocked her way in the parking lot giving Tyler the chance to ask Bella out. I loved that scene from the book---but of course there was no such scene in the film :(
dazzled_twilighter
Wandering Through Town

Post by dazzled_twilighter »

his_bella wrote:As a movie.. it was good.. but as a book adaptation.. it was terrible.
See.. i understand that you need to add and subtract things to give meaning to people who haven't read the books but they really didn't have to do alot of the things they did =/
- billy driving
- waylon dying.. i understand that they wanted to give depth to charlie's character by adding tht they were friends for a long time.. but in NM .. Harry dies, so the repetition of charlie's friends dying may cause that part with Harry to be left out.
- The lullaby.. it was nice, but it was SO simple! Edward's supposed to be this amazing musician.. and it was just.. not that intricate at all...
- All the making out for that bedroom scene where Edward pushed Bella on the bed.. he didn't do that kind of thing till Eclipse.
- Bella should have worn the lacy stilletos like in the book rather than..converse =/
- we didn't get to see Alice and company at the prom
- they portrayed the film as being a month long.. it didn't give the accurate depth of time. For example.. with the girl's choice ball, where they used prom in place and scratched girl's choice.. that would have been funny to have as well.
- Bella was supposed to be fragile. Kristen stewart...was not
- I also think that they made it more of an action than a romance.. you didn't get to fall in love with Edward.
oh yeah!! The "billy driving" thing...i totally forgot about that one...ughhhh. Now I'm just getting pissed off again. I remember seeing that and I was just like "what the hell????? are you SERIOUS right now?!" I just don't get it...why change such little things that wouldn't make a difference? It's almost like they were purposely trying to do things away from the book.

and the field trip scene?? just a waste of film time. I agree with you, LoveMeSomeEdward, when Edward blocks Bella for Tyler to ask her to prom is one of my faves too...they could have cut the field trip and added that. But no, of course not.
mkc33
Settled in Forks

Post by mkc33 »

So I just got out of the movie theater. I read a lot of reviews before going and so I felt pretty prepared for disappointment and boy..I sure was! I tried really hard to like it and accept that it wasn't the book, which I did pretty well I think. I paid attention to the details of the movie though and tried to really grasp each scene, and that might have been why I didn't like this movie too much. While most of my concerns are the same as the ones that have been posted, i.e. rushed timing, botched meadow scene and others, the thing that I could not get over was the acting! I know that's due in part to the writer and director, but bad acting is still bad acting, in spite of the script. While practically everything in the book was jumbled around both in chronological order and in the plain facts, I could live with that because it worked as just a Twilight movie. But the acting..geez! Robert Pattinson got better as the movie went on. He really did start to seem like he was in love. He even smiled that crooked smile! Nice touch, I thought. He was a bit stiff at parts but he made up for it in others. But Kristin Stewart, what the hell?! It was just Kristin being Kristin, but tripping a few times and looking really really awkward. There's the part where Edward asks her if she's afraid and she says no..all the while looking like she's going to wet herself. I did think she did the ballet studio scene pretty well, but for the most part she was not Bella and very blah (this 'too good for you' attitude towards everyone..Bella at least made an effort to be nice). She just was not convincing. I'll admit, the writer's lost Bella completely. Her wardrobe (short shirts, studded wristband, sleeping in her underwear), her hair (isn't her hair straight?), her electronics (cell phone, lap top, ipod) weren't Bella at all. She's an old soul, not an edgy, modern tomboy. I mean..prom?! Who put her in leggings and converse? While I love Kristin's style..she's not Bella. She's only playing her. I know I'm just ranting but I just don't understand where the decision to reinvent Bella came from. But at least we'll always have the book..because it is a whole lot better than this movie.
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

mkc33 wrote:So I just got out of the movie theater. I read a lot of reviews before going and so I felt pretty prepared for disappointment and boy..I sure was! I tried really hard to like it and accept that it wasn't the book, which I did pretty well I think. I paid attention to the details of the movie though and tried to really grasp each scene, and that might have been why I didn't like this movie too much. While most of my concerns are the same as the ones that have been posted, i.e. rushed timing, botched meadow scene and others, the thing that I could not get over was the acting! I know that's due in part to the writer and director, but bad acting is still bad acting, in spite of the script. While practically everything in the book was jumbled around both in chronological order and in the plain facts, I could live with that because it worked as just a Twilight movie. But the acting..geez! Robert Pattinson got better as the movie went on. He really did start to seem like he was in love. He even smiled that crooked smile! Nice touch, I thought. He was a bit stiff at parts but he made up for it in others. But Kristin Stewart, what the hell?! It was just Kristin being Kristin, but tripping a few times and looking really really awkward. There's the part where Edward asks her if she's afraid and she says no..all the while looking like she's going to wet herself. I did think she did the ballet studio scene pretty well, but for the most part she was not Bella and very blah (this 'too good for you' attitude towards everyone..Bella at least made an effort to be nice). She just was not convincing. I'll admit, the writer's lost Bella completely. Her wardrobe (short shirts, studded wristband, sleeping in her underwear), her hair (isn't her hair straight?), her electronics (cell phone, lap top, ipod) weren't Bella at all. She's an old soul, not an edgy, modern tomboy. I mean..prom?! Who put her in leggings and converse? While I love Kristin's style..she's not Bella. She's only playing her. I know I'm just ranting but I just don't understand where the decision to reinvent Bella came from. But at least we'll always have the book..because it is a whole lot better than this movie.
I agree with you about Kristen. I was thinking the exact same things. Ugh. I think she'll be better in New Moon thought, at least I'm hoping!!
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
twilightroxmysox
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightroxmysox »

I have just got back from seeing the movie for the first time and haven't been on the lex between now and when the movie came out in the USA. It was so exciting I waited 3 hours to go see an advanced screening. Now don't get me wrong because I'm going to rant I did like the movie it was ok but the book was 100 times better and the whole movie I was too busy looking at how they had done it wrong and I couldn't enjoy it much.

Ok here is how i see the plot of the movie:

Edward and Bella meet and they don't talk and he looks like she smells bad and its really funny and the whole cinema cracks up. Then they have a really quick conversation that might not be long enough to count for a conversation, I think they have a few of those. Then Jacob tells her a random story. Then she looks up some stuff on the internet. Then she goes to a place and some guys who maybe look younger than her start annoying her and Edward shows up. Then she says were you following me? and he says yes I have been stalking you and i read minds. Then she goes to school but instead of going to school she wanders off into the woods and he follows her. Then she says "I know what you are" and he is like scarily saying "say it out loud" and she says vampire. Then he says "are you afraid" and she is looking and sounding absolutely TERRIFIED and she says no. Then he's like because you know what i am you have to see me in the sun. Then he goes in the sun and sparkles (should have sparkled more) and he's like see I'm an evil monster and she's just like ooooo pretty sparkly thing. He's like I'm evil and i've killed people and i want to kill you. She's like i don't care. Then without any chemistry or romance or anything they just go "we're in love now".

That's the first half of the movie and it is like 4 fifths of the book but crammed into half of the too short movie so it's really weird.

Second half all of a sudden this is an action movie but it wasn't too bad. Sarcasm - great watch Alice and Jasper were keeping on Bella - seriously she just walked out.Then there was a fight scene and the vampires clearly weren't as powerful as they should be. The fight scene was a bit weird in places where it just stops and they look at eachother instead of fighting. Then Bella screams and Edward sucks her blood and that part was good except for Carlisle being like "find the will Edward, find the will" thats a bit cheesy. Then Edward instead of being all cute and awesome is just like I want to kill you and I nearly did which really annoyed me because he was awesome there in the book. Then they went to prom and after jacob left there was a funny line about wolves and then there was a random shot of a girl in a dress. The End.

Also other things throughout the movie I had a problem with:
- Bella didn't smile EVER not once did she smile. My friend said she smiled when Edward pushed her onto the bed when they kissed but I'm not sure.
- Bella was really sulky and sad and whiny she was supposed to be all nice and selfless.
- They cut out soo many awesome scenes between them while their relationship builds. All the scenes when they have lunch at school, the car trips, the one where Bella faints, most of their time in biology. They just crammed it all into that weird version of the meadow scene. Seriously it was their second conversation when they were supposed to be in love.
- Edward should spend less time saying he wants to kill Bella and that he is weird and more time loving Bella and being perfect.

Also I got a massive drink and box of popcorn so that it had Twilight on it and it came with a glow in the dark straw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know random but also the coolest thing ever!!!
Last edited by twilightroxmysox on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
thanks to lalaith913 for the image

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Paste him on your sig so he can gain control!

E<3B
AngelYve83
Wandering Through Town

Post by AngelYve83 »

twilightroxmysox wrote:I have just got back from seeing the movie for the first time and haven't been on the lex between now and when the movie came out in the USA. It was so exciting I waited 3 hours to go see an advanced screening. Now don't get me wrong because I'm going to rant I did like the movie it was ok but the book was 100 times better and the whole movie I was too busy looking at how they had done it wrong and I couldn't enjoy it much.

Ok here is how i see the plot of the movie:

Edward and Bella meet and they don't talk and he looks like she smells bad and its really funny and the whole cinema cracks up. Then they have a really quick conversation that might not be long enough to count for a conversation, I think they have a few of those. Then Jacob tells her a random story. Then she looks up some stuff on the internet. Then she goes to a place and some guys who maybe look younger than her start annoying her and Edward shows up. Then she says were you following me? and he says yes I have been stalking you and i read minds. Then she goes to school but instead of going to school she wonders off into the woods and he follows her. Then she says "I know what you are" and he is like scarily saying "say it out loud" and she says vampire. Then he says "are you afraid" and she is looking and sounding absolutely TERRIFIED and she says no. Then he's like because you know what i am you have to see me in the sun. Then he goes in the sun and sparkles (should have sparkled more) and he's like see I'm an evil monster and she's just like ooooo pretty sparkly thing. He's like I'm evil and i've killed people and i want to kill you. She's like i don't care. Then without any chemistry or romance or anything they just go "we're in love now".

That's the first half of the movie and it is like 4 fifths of the book but crammed into half of the too short movie so it's really weird.

Second half all of a sudden this is an action movie but it wasn't too bad. Sarcasm - great watch Alice and Jasper were keeping on Bella - seriously she just walked out.Then there was a fight scene and the vampires clearly weren't as powerful as they should be. The fight scene was a bit weird in places where it just stops and they look at eachother instead of fighting. Then Bella screams and Edward sucks her blood and that part was good except for Carlisle being like "find the will Edward, find the will" thats a bit cheesy. Then Edward instead of being all cute and awesome is just like I want to kill you and I nearly did which really annoyed me because he was awesome there in the book. Then they went to prom and after jacob left there was a funny line about wolves and then there was a random shot of a girl in a dress. The End.

Also other things throughout the movie I had a problem with:
- Bella didn't smile EVER not once did she smile. My friend said she smiled when Edward pushed her onto the bed when they kissed but I'm not sure.
- Bella was really sulky and sad and whiny she was supposed to be all nice and selfless.
- They cut out soo many awesome scenes between them while their relationship builds. All the scenes when they have lunch at school, the car trips, the one where Bella faints, most of their time in biology. They just crammed it all into that weird version of the meadow scene. Seriously it was their second conversation when they were supposed to be in love.
- Edward should spend less time saying he wants to kill Bella and that he is weird and more time loving Bella and being perfect.

Also I got a massive drink and box of popcorn so that it had Twilight on it and it came with a glow in the dark straw!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know random but also the coolest thing ever!!!
LOL, the way you wrote your review is exactly like how it was when I went to see it. They really didn't do this story and justice. I love your review, it made me laugh.
miaperero
Settled in Forks

Post by miaperero »

So, if you went see the movie, not expecting it to be the book on film, then it was pretty good. As a movie, it was good. But myself, I was not crazy about it. I mean, it was good, but it didn't fulfill my expectations, and I was left dissatisfied.

In the restaurant scene, it was not secluded or romantic enough. And the waitress.. Wtf was up with her hair? It was not attractive, and neither was she. but in the book she was supposed to be oh so good looking, and Edward didn't pay her any mind, because he was so focused on Bella. But that didn't happen.

His car... HORRIBLE! Rosalie would not be seen riding around in a hatchback. Sorry.

We didn't find out Carlisle's history. And that was vital. I think that is one of the big points where they screwed up big time. I think/hope they'll put his history in the next movie, because in the second book, we meet the Volturi, and if we don't know Carlisle's history, then we don't know that he knows them.

They didn't do the blood typing in Biology, which I think was also a vital point because we need to know that she faints at the site of blood. For later on in Breaking Dawn, when she drinks the blood b/c she's pregnant. It's just ironic. That and because Edward is a vampire, who drinks blood, and Bella faints at the site of it. Yeah, we needed to know that.

The hotel scene was also a disappointment. First of all, it was waaaaaaaaaaay to easy for Bella to escape. Alice would NEVER have left her alone. And in the book, we see what Jasper is really about. We see how he can manipulate emotions. In the movie? Not so much, and that was upsetting. It's like Jasper is just there to look at. Wtf?

We don't get a concept of how much time passes. Because 1) she started in March. Wtf? But it wasn't THAT bad that she didn't start in Jan. but we don't get to see that Edward ignores her for 6 weeks after he saves her life, and we should really see that. We needed to see how much he tried to avoid her, and yeah he says "I'm sorry I'm being so rude" but we didn't really see him being rude, did we?

We see Bella fall a few times, and they talk about her lack of sports & dancing, but we don't really see how clumsy and helpless she is, and that's a major character point for Bella. I don't think Kristen portrayed Bella very well. She was way too monotone, and didn't nearly have enough emotions that Bella does. I knew she wasn't going to be able to pull it off. Kristen is too strong of a woman/actress to play someone so helpless.

In the meadow scene, it wasn't romantic enough. And Edward didn't sparkle enough for me. I was expecting to see some, blinding, can't look at him b/c it's sparkling so much, kinda stuff.

We never see Edward hunt. I mean, we didn't see him hunting the book, but we knew when he went hunting. We only saw that they missed school once, because it was sunny. We didn't find out if they hunted after school, or on the weekends or anything like we did in the book.

Bella knows they're going to prom. No way in hell would Bella agree to go to prom on her own free will. But in the movie, she gets ready on her own. NEVER would she do that!

We don't know how helpless Bella makes Charlie out to be, because she never cooks for him. They always eat at the diner.

I did love the fact that when Edward rescue's Bella from the guys in the alley way, he gets out the car, and growls at the guys. I loved that! So hot! And so perfect!

I liked when Bella woke up and saw Edward standing in her room, and when she turned on the light, he was gone. I dk why, but I liked it.

I really loved his reaction to Bella in Biology. It was like he was over doing it, but he didn't. It was perfect. The hand over his mouth, priceless!

Rob was really great at portraying Edward. When I pictured Ed, he had Rob's body, but not really Rob's face, but Rob just made the character so hot & sexy. And he did really well at getting to the point to where he knew how much Edward hated himself, but how much he loved Bella.

When Carlisle first entered the scene, in the hospital, it was perfect. I absolutely loved it. In the book they make him seem/look like a 50's looking movie start, and he looks just that.

Alice was absolutely how I imagined she'd be. I loved when they were playing baseball, how she would lift her leg & foot up, and her toes were pointed. Really set the mood for her to look as if she was a ballerina type, liked they described her in the book.

I loved how rude Rosalie was to Bella. It really showed how much she didn't like her, and Rose doesn't like her at all. I just loved it. And I think they hit the mark on what she looked like also. She is GORGEOUS, and has a GREAT body. I loved when she broke the bowl.

When Alice told Jasper "It's alright, you wont hurt her" when they met at the Cullen's house, I loved it. He looked like he was in physical pain, which in the book, he was, because it was so hard for him to be around humans because he was so new to this life. It really showed his pain that we needed to see. It really showed his struggle.

I loved that Edward was so embarrassed of his family when he brought Bella to meet them, after all of their reactions to her.

The ballet studio scene was amamzing. Cam did a really excellent job at James.

I really loved the fact that when Edward sucked the venom out in the ballet studio, he had a struggle to pull her wrist from his mouth. It really showed how much he wanted her blood, but we already knew how much he didn't want to kill her.

I also loved that they added Victoria at the end, in the prom scene. Even though that wasn't in the book, I loved that it was in the movie. Just by her facial expressions, we saw that she was going to get revenge.

I guess all I can say is, I probably shouldn't have read it that third time. Maybe I wouldn't have remembered so much of the book, and wouldn't have been so dissatisfied with the movie. Well, not the movie. The movie was good. but I guess I was expecting it to be more like the book than it was. They didn't change any scene's from the book, too much anyway, but they cut a lot of vital ones and that really upset me.
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

Both of you guys above ^^ described the film perfectly
The sparkling could have been more Yvaine from Stardust type thing with a few glitters. Bella just walks calmly out the door, i was hoping for the airport scene where she uses the double exit toilets!
paramore
Settled in Forks

Post by paramore »

Personally I did not like the movie at all. Perhaps, it's because I hold the books in such a high regard. However I never expected the movie to be exactly like the saga itself - after all it is Hollywood. You cannot expect the whole book to be played out to a tee.

What I disliked:
- Kristen Stewart. Sure she looked the like the Bella I pictured in my head but her acting was terrible. I mean the scene in the ballet studio when she starts to feel the venom. I'm sorry that was horrible acting, in my opinion.

- How everything seemed so rushed ( as mentioned in previous posts)

- The effects. The whole running thing - my goodness.

- Jasper... ?

Honestly, there is so much I disliked about this film, I feel I could go on forever. Yet - I don't have the words to express the bad taste it left in my mouth.

I am very curious to see how NM turns out. I'm hoping with better direction, screenplay adaption, and a bigger budget that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

paramore wrote:Personally I did not like the movie at all. Perhaps, it's because I hold the books in such a high regard. However I never expected the movie to be exactly like the saga itself - after all it is Hollywood. You cannot expect the whole book to be played out to a tee.

What I disliked:
- Kristen Stewart. Sure she looked the like the Bella I pictured in my head but her acting was terrible. I mean the scene in the ballet studio when she starts to feel the venom. I'm sorry that was horrible acting, in my opinion.

- How everything seemed so rushed ( as mentioned in previous posts)

- The effects. The whole running thing - my goodness.

- Jasper... ?

Honestly, there is so much I disliked about this film, I feel I could go on forever. Yet - I don't have the words to express the bad taste it left in my mouth.

Everything you stated has been my 'bone of contention' with Twilight. Trust I foam at the mouth constantly over my hatred of this movie and what they did to our beloved book. :x

I am very curious to see how NM turns out. I'm hoping with better direction, screenplay adaption, and a bigger budget that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Everything you stated has always been my 'bone of contention' with this movie. Trust me, I have foamed at the mouth continuously with my hatred over what they did to our beloved book. :x
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict