Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
DesiringJB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Jacob Black

Post by DesiringJB »

malaz wrote:I think Jacob's love is childish.
And i think that because it has only started, i have no doubt that his love could have developed into something much stronger later in life if bella had pursued jacob rather than Edward. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, and therefore his love for her is still at the first stage - to me - at least. At the moment, or in eclipse rather...I can't say that it could be in comparison to Edward's, even later in life. There's just something more about Edward's ability to love. i am not saying Jacob can't love. But there's a difference between his and Edward's. Bella is his whole life to Edward, the core of his existance, he would die if she died, the world revolves around her, he would rather suffer than she suffers, he would gladly burn in fire if happiness is what she would endure...Jacob's love does not experience the same level of impossible height. No it does not. It doesn't mean that he doesn't love bella or it's any less worthier than Edward's or inferior. It just means to me that Edward's love is much much stronger and something that could not exist. Jacob's love is more humanly possible. Edward's isn't.
(sorry to double post, it wasn't my intention...now i am going to hope that no one gives me crap about it...sorry sorry)
Jacob's love for Bella was childish because it was new? Bella and Edward's love was pretty also very new. And Jacob's love for Bella was the center of his life at one point too, and the only reason that changed was because of Nessie. Time and again Jacob showed his love for Bella. Who's love is stronger? Technically, Edwards is, yes. Jacob cannot physically hold the same capacity as Edward can (at least I think SM made that point in BD when Bella became a vampire). However, they both gave all they had. How can you give anymore than your all? And yes, Jacob's love is more realistic, which is why I choose Jacob and Bella's love story over Edward and Bella's love story any day. To each their own, huh?
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

I may not like Jacob as much as Edward but very nicely put DesiringJB. :D
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

DesiringJB wrote: Jacob's love for Bella was childish because it was new? Bella and Edward's love was pretty also very new. And Jacob's love for Bella was the center of his life at one point too, and the only reason that changed was because of Nessie. Time and again Jacob showed his love for Bella. Who's love is stronger? Technically, Edwards is, yes. Jacob cannot physically hold the same capacity as Edward can (at least I think SM made that point in BD when Bella became a vampire). However, they both gave all they had. How can you give anymore than your all? And yes, Jacob's love is more realistic, which is why I choose Jacob and Bella's love story over Edward and Bella's love story any day. To each their own, huh?

I completely agree with that.. :D especially about the part that Jacob can't love with the same magnitude (is that even the right word? hmmm.. ) as Edward can/ as vampires can..
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I'm rereading Breaking Dawn the entire way through this time, and it's surprising me how caring Jake is when it comes to the Cullens. I skipped over the whole Jacob part the second time when I read it because I was still new to the Twilight series and had just read New Moon like two nights prior and loathed his character in that book.

To me, this character grew up when it came to the legends of his people. They said that vampires were evil creatures, and that they were not to be trusted. When he went to protect the very creatures that were said to be evil, he saw that they were not all evil, and the Cullens were truly good, like Bella had said. The world dropped the black and white mask that he seemed to have placed on it, and he really opened his eyes.

I still can`t stand his character in New Moon, and Eclipse is bearable, but IMO, he comes off more mature towards vampires in Breaking Dawn. Not considering Twilight in this because he`s barely there and completely ignorant to his true history.
DesiringJB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by DesiringJB »

RebeccaCullen wrote:I still can`t stand his character in New Moon, and Eclipse is bearable, but IMO, he comes off more mature towards vampires in Breaking Dawn. Not considering Twilight in this because he`s barely there and completely ignorant to his true history.
Jacob hated the vampires, yes. However, Edward hated the werewolves. How can you only put Jacob down then? Both Edward and Jacob could have handled the situation better. They both formed opinions without getting to know each other. Its hypocritcal to only subjectify one of them.

Annnd, Jacob was a wonderful person in New Moon..Full of understanding and compassion. I think he handled events better than Edward had. And although Jacob made mistakes, his were more justifiable than Edwards (IMO).
BlackRainWillFall
Settled in Forks
Location: California, wishing it were the La Push Reservation

Post by BlackRainWillFall »

Your post was true to words, DesiringJB. ;)

Yet, I cannot stand that people compare Jacob and Edward's capacity of love. Both boys offer unconditional love; but as stated by other posts, Jacob's love is exceedingly more healthy. Not just for Bella, but in general (excluding any girl who would think it is better to have an ETERNITY with someone, living off the blood of animals and watching the mortals you love around you die due to old age or something else that an immortal will never experience).

Think of it this way: Whereas Edward is overprotective to the point where he denies Bella the right to see her La Push friends, Jacob is protective to the point where he still knows that Bella has the right to make her own decisions, whether he agrees with her decisions or not. Whereas Edward was so willing to leave
Bella behind 'for her own good', Jacob would put everything at stake to stay by her side -including defying his own pack- even if it meant that he could only be her friend. And lastly, whereas Edward would be unable to function or carry on through life without Bella, and jump at the chance to commit suicide (would a dead Bella really want that?)... Well, I get the sense from Jacob that he could live without Bella-- he just wouldn't WANT to live without her, and the sunlight in HIS life would diminish.

Remember kiddies, I'm not bashing Edward and I'm not saying Jacob is perfect (psh, we all know he's not). This is just my opinion. If an Edward-fan defies me just for having an opinion, expect no mercy. :twisted:
Team Jacob. Because I can't resist the beautiful rays of the sun. <3<3<3
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

The only reason Edward left was because he wanted Bella to be safe. Jake wants to stay at her side because he doesn't have much of an oppurtunity..It hurt Edward as well to leave her. He was on the verge of coming back. But then Bella threw herself off a cliff and then he wanted to die. He knew he couldn't exist in a world where she wasn't alive. Edward almost killed himself for the girl he loved with all his power and eternity. He still loved Bella when he left. Did Jacob kill himself for Bella? No he lied about it so they could have just 1 passionate kiss. I'm not saying Jacob is bad and Edward is perfect...they both made huge mistakes..But I don't know if Jacob would sacrifice himself for Bella.
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

I must admit, I HATED Jake with vengence when I first read about him in NM, I was like tossing my book against the wall every five minutes. That was all before I decided that both of the leading males weren't for me anyway :) But I did grow to like Jake, from Eclipse onwards he seemed like a very caring person, who despite being passed up by the girl of his dreams, still wanted her to be happy and safe, I for one wouldn't do that for someone if they broke my heart, so it was a very loving thing for him to do . . . especially when Bella was being so goddamn annoying. I didn't understand why Edward and Jake didn't just desert her with all her nonsense . . . I'm not a Bella lover :D
Anyway, I am really happy Jake got his happy ending, that he got his chance to be loved by someone and love them right back, properly. At first the whole Nessie thing was creepy towards me, but now I think it's fair, if Bella gets everything she wanted why shouldn't he?
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
DunnerheartsTwilight
Being Tortured by Jane
Location: Postaholic. Vampirizing Sarah, Emo Tee-angers! DSCL 4 LIFE

Post by DunnerheartsTwilight »

jacob is awsome until he gets in the sleeping bag with bella and wants her to get nude uhhh come on thats edwards job people!!!
but whne he imprints on renesmee (i hate how they call her nessie) i like him again cause he stops being all mellow and stops hitting on bella!!
APPC~Party Manager.Leo~Volturi
Cosimo Tagliano~Jamie-Drake.On The List. Seth-Team Jake
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

DesiringJB wrote: Jacob's love for Bella was childish because it was new? Bella and Edward's love was pretty also very new. And Jacob's love for Bella was the center of his life at one point too, and the only reason that changed was because of Nessie. Time and again Jacob showed his love for Bella. Who's love is stronger? Technically, Edwards is, yes. Jacob cannot physically hold the same capacity as Edward can (at least I think SM made that point in BD when Bella became a vampire). However, they both gave all they had. How can you give anymore than your all? And yes, Jacob's love is more realistic, which is why I choose Jacob and Bella's love story over Edward and Bella's love story any day. To each their own, huh?
yes, it is. Jacob is young, he's 16 - he's known bella for how long again, oh yeah, 3 months...love grows.
With Edward it's different - he's a vampire, they experience things with a finality, their love for their mates isn't like human love. It's like he imprinted on Bella. It's not the same with Jacob. Bella was never the center of his universe, the importance of his existence, yes bella was central to jacob's life, but it's not the same thing, there's a distinction between both.

Okay...are you agreeing with me? that's my whole point. Edward's is stronger, simply because it just is (well there are valid reasons). Jacob's isn't.

I've never said Jacob's was more realistic. It's more humanly possible but not for people his age (I think Jacob is pretty unrealistic when it comes to something--if no one noticed) By the way, that was general statement. But yes, jacob's is more realistic in the sense that humans are capable of it too, which makes it undesirable to me at any rate - well, that's not true, jacob is what is undesirable. Like Mr.Darcy said "she's bearable. but not enough to tempt me"

BlackRainWillFall -- "think of it this way..."
That's not the way the story is. But it's your opinion at any rate.
I am not sure if it's exceedingly more healthy? What makes it so? While Jacob's is natural and human, Edward's is irrational and extraordinary and true and more powerful...
I think for me, i prefer Edward's better. It's not that Jacob's is inferior...but...

Someone said Edward hated the wolves? - i am not sure that's entirely true. he only hated Jacob for a brief time in his life, whilst jacob hated all the cullens (he eventually warmed up to carlisle) but still...