Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

urcoolcarrie wrote:ugh ya. i can't read midnight sun. i promised myself i wouldn't. i have tried talking myself into doing it so many times, but then i just think that this was not the way stephenie wanted us to read it. i won't read something she was forced into giving out. its just not fair. plus, if she came out after we got done with all this thank you stuff, and said she was going to finish it someday, i would want it to all be new. i'm going to wait at least until november 1st to read it. i can withstand urges until then. i just figure that if she has had time to think it over and still says no, then i guess there is no point in waiting. i still have my tiny little ounce of hope that maybe, just maybe, she will change her mind. i doubt it, but its ok to dream, right?
Hey guys, I want Midnight Sun published SO badly that I started a petition -- one to Stephenie telling her that we will abstain from reading the leaked chapters and we LOVE her and will support her with whatever time she needs to be able to get back to that project.

I've already got over 200 signatures -- I would love even more!!! Spread the word!! Get your fellow Twilighters to sign and I will mail this onto Stephenie!

Go show her some LOVE!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/midn ... index.html
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

te he. sorry. i accidently signed it twice. didn't mean to, though!
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

UnfreakinBelievable wrote:
urcoolcarrie wrote:ugh ya. i can't read midnight sun. i promised myself i wouldn't. i have tried talking myself into doing it so many times, but then i just think that this was not the way stephenie wanted us to read it. i won't read something she was forced into giving out. its just not fair. plus, if she came out after we got done with all this thank you stuff, and said she was going to finish it someday, i would want it to all be new. i'm going to wait at least until november 1st to read it. i can withstand urges until then. i just figure that if she has had time to think it over and still says no, then i guess there is no point in waiting. i still have my tiny little ounce of hope that maybe, just maybe, she will change her mind. i doubt it, but its ok to dream, right?
Hey guys, I want Midnight Sun published SO badly that I started a petition -- one to Stephenie telling her that we will abstain from reading the leaked chapters and we LOVE her and will support her with whatever time she needs to be able to get back to that project.

I've already got over 200 signatures -- I would love even more!!! Spread the word!! Get your fellow Twilighters to sign and I will mail this onto Stephenie!

Go show her some LOVE!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/midn ... index.html

I with you, MS is incredible but I think we need to give Stephenie some time to recover from this betrayal. Though there is nothing wrong with showing her we care.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Tenoko
Settled in Forks

Post by Tenoko »

I like the image of Bella and Edward together, when she's pregnant and Edward first realizes he can hear the baby's thoughts, so he's like on his knees in front of her, with his hands on her swollen belly, his forehead gently touching her belly as he listens to the baby, I thought it was so cute.

I love Edward, I was cheering him on from the beginning, I think I only cheered harder because of how hard they were fought, even from the very beginning. But yeah, I love Edward's character, I think Robert is going to be able to portray him beautifully, about as best as anyone will be able to. Because it's not that he's just a vampire, he's also very human.
Calicoxx
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Calicoxx »

I actually have New Moon at the bottom of my list on the books in the series because of the lack of Edward in there.

While Bella /is/ my favourite character, she's a bit more bland without Edward, which is why I liked Twlight and Breaking Dawn so much. (I can't remember a lot of Eclipse, only read it once).
Peace, love, always and forever.
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Calicoxx wrote:I actually have New Moon at the bottom of my list on the books in the series because of the lack of Edward in there.

While Bella /is/ my favourite character, she's a bit more bland without Edward, which is why I liked Twlight and Breaking Dawn so much. (I can't remember a lot of Eclipse, only read it once).
ahaha, i agree.
my ultimate favourite is twilight with breaking dawn a close second.
eclipse-jacob pretty much ruined it for me...but Edward just brightened it up for me
i love new moon though, even if it was meaningless without Edward there. it was so vacant so...lifeless. my favourites parts are the first few chapters with the last chapters when edward returns *siigh* - i enjoyed jacob alot more in new moon than any other book in the twilight saga. so new moon wasn't that bad to me.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:if edward doesn't allow bella that choice he IS controlling her. and the fact that he felt that he could take that from her means that he DID feel he had some authority. in what way is it ok for a person's partner to take away their choices in any particular faction of their lives??? because that is what you are saying is ok here.
PLEASE do no misconstrue my words. I don't think Edward's first thoughts when he took out Bella's black box from her truck where "I've got to control Bella by taking away her choices!" He acted as quickly as he could and taking out that black box was his only option. Of course he felt terribly about it, who wouldn't? But he was acting as he saw fit, something that over time he did come to realize was wrong. Taking away someone's choices, partner or not, is generally not that right thing to do, but you cannot deny that there aren't instances where taking someone's choices away is the right thing to do i.e. : suicide. Let's not say I'm saying Bella was on a suicide mission, but to Edward that's what it looked like.
umm with the jacob "fixing it" thing i mean that he found that loophole, he refused to listen to sam, he wiggled around in his restrictions until it worked out ok for everyone and they were both happy. i see that as the time when he was hurting bella in the way edward did, that's why i'm comparing them. i feel like edward did not "fix" anything. bella flat out disobeyed him. edward is sort of in the role of sam here. sam took away jacob's choice to see bella, because he thought it was dangerous. did he "fix" anything when jacob went to see her anyway? no. jake did. edward took away bella's choice to see jacob, because he felt it was dangerous. did he "fix" anything when bella went to jake? no. bella did.
Well, I'd say it's a little different finding a loophole around someone else's orders when it's something you don't even want to follow at all, rather than finding a loophole around yourself when it's something you fervently believe in. It's useless to even compare the two.

------------------------------------------------------
malaz wrote:
Calicoxx wrote:I actually have New Moon at the bottom of my list on the books in the series because of the lack of Edward in there.

ahaha, i agree.
eclipse-jacob pretty much ruined it for me...but Edward just brightened it up for me
i love new moon though, even if it was meaningless without Edward there. it was so vacant so...lifeless. my favourites parts are the first few chapters with the last chapters when edward returns *siigh* - i enjoyed jacob alot more in new moon than any other book in the twilight saga. so new moon wasn't that bad to me.
Gah! I love discussion in the morning :D ! Even though it's 5 in the evening, I did just wake up....

I love you malaz :D . You're blatant honesty is so refreshing, not to mention you never-failing Edward love. We're two of a kind in that sense. Awwww you didn't like Eclipse? I loved that book. Twilight of course and...New Moon. It took forever to actually LOVE New Moon, but once I reached that point, there was no going back. Agreed, Eclipse-Jacob wasn't so cool. Actually Eclipse-Jacob is what made me stop actually loving his character(the love was pretty vague from the beginning though :lol: ). After Eclipse, I only simply liked him. Still only do.

But yeah Midnight Sun....AMAZING. For those strong enough to resist, I applaud you. For those not, or those who didn't even bother trying, those 12 chapters made the weekend, even if we all now kind of feel like crying. . .
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

gah. i love certain parts of the books with edward in it, and i almost wish that all the good things could be combined to make one amazing (and really weird) book. (not that they aren't magnificent seperatly. :))
i wish i could have the beginning of twilight, the body of eclipse, the ending of new moon, and the last pages of breaking dawn. those are like my favorite parts in all the books. (i don't know if any of that made sense, so if it didn't, you can just pretend. :))
edward gone in new moon broke my heart. i kept telling myself that he didn't love bella, and so eventually i believed it. that made it all the more amazing when they were in bellas bedroom and he was telling her that he did love her. ah. so cool. edward is wonderful. :D
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

:D :D :D
Thanks Bloodlust - sheesh...i was smiling like a fool reading that, haha :lol:
That's what i love, our never-ending, wondrous love for Edward. i am big fan of your arguments. extremely in agreement
I love eclipse - jacob was...a...i didn't like him then. i didn't hate the book, just some character actions that would make me favour it less...
I LOVE all the twilight books, eclipse more than new moon but twilight most and breaking dawn second if i have to favour them in ranks.

Midnight Sun was one of the most amazing piece of writing that has ever touched me in a level i don't understand. For one thing, it's the first half-written book that ever made me really cry or the one book that made me cry. I never cry at books (which i find rather weird because i am the type of girl you see crying through and through during a movie or anything sad or happy. Tears are always in my eyes) It was...i can't even describe it.
There is no word that can describe this writing to the full amazing-ness that it is without underestimating it. It's such a shame it will never see the light of day other through people's computers. heh!!
dont' continue if you haven't read it
one of the parts that made tears spill over and reach down to my chin again and again, is, while he was talking to emmett and telling him about all these ways that could endanger bella's life. That was excruciatingly poignant.
"I can't even describe it, Emmett. All of a sudden, this girl's the whole world to me. I don't see the point of the rest of the world without her anymore."
^just...
one of my favourite quotes from MS is:
"stop it Mom. you're making me blush"
so cute <33
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

*Bloodlust* wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:if edward doesn't allow bella that choice he IS controlling her. and the fact that he felt that he could take that from her means that he DID feel he had some authority. in what way is it ok for a person's partner to take away their choices in any particular faction of their lives??? because that is what you are saying is ok here.
PLEASE do no misconstrue my words. I don't think Edward's first thoughts when he took out Bella's black box from her truck where "I've got to control Bella by taking away her choices!" He acted as quickly as he could and taking out that black box was his only option. Of course he felt terribly about it, who wouldn't? But he was acting as he saw fit, something that over time he did come to realize was wrong. Taking away someone's choices, partner or not, is generally not that right thing to do, but you cannot deny that there aren't instances where taking someone's choices away is the right thing to do i.e. : suicide. Let's not say I'm saying Bella was on a suicide mission, but to Edward that's what it looked like.
umm with the jacob "fixing it" thing i mean that he found that loophole, he refused to listen to sam, he wiggled around in his restrictions until it worked out ok for everyone and they were both happy. i see that as the time when he was hurting bella in the way edward did, that's why i'm comparing them. i feel like edward did not "fix" anything. bella flat out disobeyed him. edward is sort of in the role of sam here. sam took away jacob's choice to see bella, because he thought it was dangerous. did he "fix" anything when jacob went to see her anyway? no. jake did. edward took away bella's choice to see jacob, because he felt it was dangerous. did he "fix" anything when bella went to jake? no. bella did.
Well, I'd say it's a little different finding a loophole around someone else's orders when it's something you don't even want to follow at all, rather than finding a loophole around yourself when it's something you fervently believe in. It's useless to even compare the two.

------------------------------------------------------
malaz wrote:

ahaha, i agree.
Gah! I love discussion in the morning :D ! Even though it's 5 in the evening, I did just wake up....

I love you malaz :D . You're blatant honesty is so refreshing, not to mention you never-failing Edward love. We're two of a kind in that sense. Awwww you didn't like Eclipse? I loved that book. Twilight of course and...New Moon. It took forever to actually LOVE New Moon, but once I reached that point, there was no going back. Agreed, Eclipse-Jacob wasn't so cool. Actually Eclipse-Jacob is what made me stop actually loving his character(the love was pretty vague from the beginning though :lol: ). After Eclipse, I only simply liked him. Still only do.

But yeah Midnight Sun....AMAZING. For those strong enough to resist, I applaud you. For those not, or those who didn't even bother trying, those 12 chapters made the weekend, even if we all now kind of feel like crying. . .
PLEASE do not misconstrue my words.

what edward did with bella is NOT like keeping someone from suicide. bella knew she was in no danger. edward refused to listen, he wouldn't even talk with her about it, he just took control. that implies that he didn't CARE what she had to say, that he didn't think she was capable of making that decision, and that she needed to be controlled. now, i don't think he woke up and said "let's control bella today" but what he DID do was not even give it discussion. i think i would find it more excusable if it really was a last resort, a plan b. but it wasn't.

maybe this will clear it up. this is what i think edward SHOULD have done. first of all, talk to bella about it. listen to what she had to say. consider it. understand that it's not HIS life and not HIS friend and maybe he doesn't know exactly what's best, but discuss why he's afraid with her, and listen to why she thinks he shouldn't be. research it a bit. maybe talk to jake. then, and ONLY then, if he thought it was STILL absolutely 100% necessary, should he have EVER done something like he did.

the fact that he felt terrible just goes to show that he KNEW he was handling it wrong, but he didn't feel he owed it to bella to be upfront and honest with her.

in the end, it's bella's life. it's her friend. it's not his. he doesn't control or own her. i'm NOT saying, PLEASE READ AND LISTEN TO THIS, that he consciously thinks of her as under his control, but i think that anyone who would go to the lengths that edward did obviously has some control issues, and thinks that the entire WORLD is something for them to control, not consciously, but subconsciously.

furthermore, a person committing suicide is living a life beyond their control, and is not sane. they have made the decision that they do not want to live anymore, and THAT is an instance where a person should not have control. but honestly, does a person who is suicidal have control anyway?

as for my comparison of jacob to edward, i've realized now that it's better to compare edward to sam, as i find them to be very similar in that situation. HOWEVER, please do not ever call something another person says "useless".

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...