Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by una »

Okay, I do get those emails from VS about their sales. I just saw this Victoria Secrets bra on the add and had to check it out. Okay, it comes in a 40DD...how the HECK is that supposed to support ANYTHING!?!? What, does it have adhesive in it? I can see how it would work for less bouncing sizes but come on! That's supposed to hold you and and support you? With little straps? Geez, it looks like it is already falling off the model!

Sorry, just need to rant over the absurdity of it all. Carry on...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

I just finished reading the first book in the Final Prophecy series by the WARDen recommended author Jessica Andersen. I have to say that Night Keepers was pretty good.

Instead of vampires/greek gods/greek demi-gods/psys or changelings, it's Mayan mythology. The Night Keepers are the last remaining descendents of the ancient Mayans and they are fighting to save the earth from the evil that threatens to destroy it on December 12, 2012.

There's no hissing involved. :) Some good steam but no hissing (that I recall).

I'm hoping to get some quality DH time this weekend. Poor Talon has been sitting waiting patiently for me to start his story.

Holy cow...it's taken me half an hour to write this message! How dare people expect me to work while i'm at work! ;)
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Phew! I had 5 pages to catch up on.

I didn't read any of the short stories, and from what I gather (and would I really know anyway?) I didn't miss anything. I will read them. When I have time. :)

Fan: V's book will not faze you in the least since you've read D-H. You made it through worse things.

I love the Brothers in BDB, but my heart totally belongs to the Hunters.

For anyone starting out on the D-H series, check out the very first page of the D-H thread here. Check out my first post. There's a reading list with extra information. It should help.

I hope everyone is doing ok with our freaky weather. We had a bad storm last night and today it's extremely windy. Loose limbs from our ice storm are now flying. Fun times!!

My doctor's appt was rescheduled for today at 4pm. I'm hoping to get my tailbone x-rayed as well. It still hurts! It's been 2 weeks. Sheesh.

By the way, I love the new Twilight Lexicon artwork at the top of the screen. Pretty. :P
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

oleander wrote:I just finished reading the first book in the Final Prophecy series by the WARDen recommended author Jessica Andersen. I have to say that Night Keepers was pretty good.
I'm glad that you put in a recommendation for this series. I bought the two books after the chat that the WARDen had with Jessica and while I haven't started reading it (the DH men were the #1 priority at the time), I now know that it's a good read. I was planning to start when I completed the last 3 DH books.
Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:I love the Brothers in BDB, but my heart totally belongs to the Hunters.
I agree with you on this one. Since reading Kenyon's series, I've become really fond of this series. While BDB was my first introduction in "paranormal smut." I like how the women in the DH series are depicted and aren't your run of the mill, cookie cutter, Victoria Secret models. It helps me believe that there is hope for me, the "average, normal" American woman. Oh and not to forget that these books are well written.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning that Ward seems to be unfair to her characters and to flat out not like some of them...and I have to say, when i went to her website and was reading some of the "interviews" she wrote, I thought the same thing. I'm kinda weirded out by some of the things she writes and don't understand why she goes in some of the directions she does...

She mentions that she doesn't like V...huh? I can't see SK saying that about any of her DHs...and SK doesn't seem to add random details to her stories for no apparent reason either. I am really enjoying the BDB series so far, but like the part with V and Butch...I felt like she left readers going "what???" I thought maybe V and Butch were going to become lovers or something but of course that doesn't happen and although I haven't read V's book yet, others I know who have read the entire series seem just as confuse dby the whole "weirdness" between V and Butch. It seems like a random detail to throw in and then have it go nowhere...why do it?? (sorry twightlightmom, I know I already vented to you about this...LOL)

Anyway, that was just my thoughts on the subject :?

Thank you Naureen!!
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I agree FanMNM. There are little details sprinkled around that we have no idea if they mean something, Lash's tattoo after his transition, the coffins stacked in the garage when Marissa goes to burn her dresses, etc. Now, I know if it was SK, they will come to mean something, they are clues. But with the WARDen, you just don't know. If her characters and the mythology were not so compelling to me, I wouldn't be so enthralled with it. Plus it helps that the writing has improved. However, sometimes it is just odd. I wonder if she is a dream writer...you know she dreams or day-dreams and that is how these things get put together?
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

That's a good question...

I don't think I'd read the books if I wasn't so enthralled by the Brothers. I feel silly saying it but I like the books so much but I'm not sure I like Ward...LOL. That seems weird to me...

With SK, I'm always sure she's going to make me feel whole at the end of one of her books. They might be hard to read and heartwrenching, but she never disappoints! I'm not sure I have that faith in Ward. Then again, a lot of people feel that way about SM (not sure they like her and how she feels towards her fans especially) and I disagree. I do have faith in SM :) So maybe my feelings toward Ward are just really me being too sensitive? :roll:

Thank you Naureen!!
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I got home tonight after a long day at work to find my copy of Dark Lover waiting for me. I think I'm the one whose most behind on the reading, and I think I've got my friend interested so I may have to send her and my other friend a copy for Valentines day just so I can get them going on it too.

Anyway can't wait to read and share what I think if you don't mind me doing it, wait there is a thread for that isn't there???
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

ellalou, it's great that you're going to read BDB. I quite like it when someone on here picks it up for the first time because everyone gets something different from it (or any series for that matter) and it just reminds me why I enjoy the books so much. It's refreshing.

As for the BDB series, I think the WARDen is a little out there, but I really love the Brothers so I can look past her idiosyncrasies (sp?).
una

Post by una »

Ellalou feel free to read and make comments here. The BDB thread here is full of spoilers so if you do go there to post, don't read or only read those posts where we call out your name. I'd hate for you to get spoiled on it since most of us that post there have read all the books (including the Insider's Guide). But we are all here for you so you can always PM us or chat here on this thread.

We have been seriously missing some PSDs. So let's play - guess our PSD!!
Here is contestant #1.
Contestant #2 is ??????
And our final contestant.

Again, thanks for playing!