Gex X--the 30 something thread

Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Misfit »

Well now that we are on one of my favorite subjects (music.) I have to say the 80's for me were all about U2, The Cure, Phil Collins, Bryan Adams, and maybe a little Twisted Sister. As a side note great band today that again a lot of you have most likely never heard of is Secondhand Serenade good band.

Misfit.

This link is not always working but if you want you can check it out.
http://www.streamingdude.com/MP3Liveplayer.html
Last edited by Misfit on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Reading is Sexy*
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Here are some other bands that I liked. Thompson Twins, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Alphaville. I really liked anything, as long as it was appealing to me. It didn't matter what genre. However, I was a big Erasure and Alphaville fan in the mid to late 80's.

Thanks for the audio stream Misfit.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Yes, I have fond memories of Duran Duran, U2, Sting/Police, Depeche Mode, The Cure, so many great bands. Remember the 'hair' bands? Bon Jovi, Ratt, or LoverBoy? And goodness, Boy George! First time I ever saw a man with that make-up on (and not on a broadway stage!). I felt so stupid when my brother explained to me that he was in deed a boy...I thought he was a girl since he had make-up on! Ah, a child's innocence! Ha, and after that, I remember Rocker's with eyeliner and what about Kiss and their face paint! Crazy trends!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
bac

Post by bac »

A bit back we were speaking of jelly shoes. I came across this lovely photo from probably 1981 ish. I seem to have solved the problem of smelly feet by adding socks. It makes for an interesting outfit.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg17 ... rwoman.jpg

The personal humiliation may continue as I come across more lovely photos of myself and upload them. Ahh, good thing I have a good sense of self now.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

It's a very cute picture of you Bac! Don't worry, my father continues to wear socks with his sandals...drives my mother crazy! When he bums around the house, he won't wear socks, but when he goes out, he thinks it looks nicer to wear socks with his leather sandals.

Thanks for the music link Misfit, it's making the day go by faster!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

bac wrote:Here are some other bands that I liked. Thompson Twins, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Alphaville. I really liked anything, as long as it was appealing to me. It didn't matter what genre. However, I was a big Erasure and Alphaville fan in the mid to late 80's.

Thanks for the audio stream Misfit.
bac, i think you and i would have been great friends back in the day. I LOVED Erasure, yet much like most of the other music i used to listen to (and currently love) none of my friends knew who they were or really liked it.

i can remember listening to Erasure and dancing on the beach at my cottage. of course i thought i was out of eyesight, but it seems that people's vision is heightened at the beach. :oops:

hmm...who else did i like? i liked The Smiths, A-Ha, OMD, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, Psychedelic Furs, U2, The Cure, Def Leppard, Guns n Roses, Thompson Twins, and the soundtrack to all of our "boy-girl" parties was Air Supply. ♪ I'm all out of love, i'm so lost without you...♪ :lol:

i'm sure i'm missing a few million other bands...
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

Air Supply & The Little River Band were the groups with all the great slow songs but I remember being at the roller skating rink and all they would play was REO Speaedwagon. I use to love going to the skating rink and my skates.

Ah, the memories - life was so simpler then!
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
bac

Post by bac »

Ahh, roller skating. Unfortunately, I was not near a roller rink. So I used the side walk. Here is a great photo I found with my roller skates. Nice, huh?!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg17 ... skates.jpg

Another slow song band with mood music was Chicago. At least for me. :)
One of the first songs I really sang along with was "Hard for me to say I'm Sorry". Loved that song.
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

bac wrote:Ahh, roller skating. Unfortunately, I was not near a roller rink. So I used the side walk. Here is a great photo I found with my roller skates. Nice, huh?!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg17 ... skates.jpg
I had a pair of skates like that! I loved them! I used to skate on the sidewalk and street all of the time. I still love to skate. I also like skates more than rollerblades. I wish I just had a pair!
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

I promised GNE that I would make an appearance in this thread and here I am!!! UGH! Roller skating! I was TERRIBLE! There were all the cool kids who could skate well. And we had school sponsored skating parties and the really cute boys I liked would skate with the cool girls and I tried, but mostly stayed on the carpet :oops: I was not the confident girl back then, let me tell you. I was always so small for my age and perhaps one of the LEAST athletic/coordinated individuals you would meet. Seriously.

Ok, REO Speedwagon "I'm gonna keep on loving you" was a good one, Foreigner's "Waiting for a girl like you" was also excellent (strangely, I heard that in Meijer this last Friday night whilst grocery shopping for our tailgating at IU) sigh! Such angsty love songs - Speaking of music, Cheap Trick "I want you to want me" is one of my faves. I also started listening to Alt Rock in '87 (The Cure, New Order, Depeche Mode) which was really strange for small town Indiana then. Still love them all to this day, the Cure is my favorite band evah. The first New Year's Mr. Blue and I spent together (in 1993) Just like heaven was playing (probably on a mixed tape!!!!), so that was awesome. OH OH! And he was into Belly, Dinosaur Jr. and 3 Non-Blondes from the alt station in Dallas. Such good music then too!