A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by Alphie »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
viciousmushroom
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 24 ~ An Impasse

Post by viciousmushroom »

first, im so glad the boards are up again:]
second, i want to comment on this chapter because im rereading the book series once again because i just finished breaking dawn. i was rereading this chapter and i realized how almost mean edward sounded by not PROMISING to stay with her. it made me think ''well maybe this is for what leads into new moon'' but then again, i wasn't sure. i wanted some feedback.:]
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

First I would just like to say, this is probably my second, if not my favorite chapter of Twilight, for many reasons. It's just such a special and tender moment between Bella and Edward, how couldn't anyone love it?

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now?

I definitely believe that drinking her blood makes it easier for him to resist her. Now, he knows how her blood tastes and the anticipation of just DYING to drink from her is gone because he now knows the taste. Yes, her blood still calls to him and he LOVES the taste, but he can resist because he's tasted once and knows what he's resisting.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella?

Even though he knows it is crazy to deny Alice's visions, he also is able to hold on to the small hope that the future is not set in stone and that something could change that stops Bella from becoming a vampire. He has never wanted the fate of becoming an immortal for anyone, most heavily due to his belief of immortals lacking a soul, so of course he doesn't want that same fate for Bella, no matter how much she does, or thinks she does.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her?

At that point, I think two things specifically were playing in Edward's mind. One was living with Bella forever and keeping her safe with him until the days she died. The second were contingency plans of leaving and keeping her safe in the same sense and away from him and all vampires until the day she died. Both plans came out in his response. He couldn't leave her if he tried because the first thought was just too appealing, but he would leave her if he had to because the second thought was the "right" thing to do. They contradicted themselves, but as did his answer to Bella. The signs were there.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

In general, I'm a pretty rash person, especially when I'm living vicariously. I say, why not take a risk and live happily? No matter the situation. Initially, I don't even think I gave a second thought to what Bella would be losing. I know Edward stated it a thousand times, but like Bella, I was more focused on what would be gained. From the beginning, I've been pro-bite. NEVER once doubting Bella's view or falling under Edward's persuasion. "Change her already!" I must have screamed a thousand times. Edward was sensible, but it honestly never mattered.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
gordonfan08
Wandering Through Town

Post by gordonfan08 »

1. Given everything we learn from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he didn't like how she smelled when she had a transfusion, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist now? I think Edward has great self-control and that drinking her blood didn't make a difference for him in his resistance.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella? He knows that the visions can change when the person's decisions change.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises NOT to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella over and keep her calm for now? DO you think he had plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her? I don't think Edward planned to leave Bella at this point.

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her? I think Edward was being very sensible wanting Bella to stay human as long as possible.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

He clearly was pretty hard on himself. He had more self control than he realized. However, I'd say that once he actually tasted the blood, it probably would have been harder to resist.

Because he's stubborn and feels a moral dilemma about taking Bella's human life away. He seemed blind to the fact that she didn't want to envision a future as an old maid...she just wanted him.

I don't think he had any plans to leave her, really. But I think he saw the situation as vastly different once a member of his own family threatened Bella's life, and that was the reason he had to make himself go.

I was pretty annoyed with my wonderful Edward. LOL. I wanted her to be a vampire, and I didn't see how their futures would work out if she wasn't transformed, because what... He would be eternally 17 and she'd turn into and old lady? That wouldn't work. While I don't think she should have been changed right then (in hindsight anyway), I have always been a proponent for her being changed, whether by Edward or Carlisle.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

1. Well, it shows he likes her more than her blood. Also, having tasted it, maybe it would be easier to resist.

2. Well, I guess he doesn't want to ruin her life or something, and that it may notbe her chosen lifestyle.

3. He probably planned it, since they had to move a lot. I think he did that to calm her.

4. I think it really isn't Edward's choice. It is Bella's life, and soul, so she can choose what she wants to do with it. Edward, I guess, could pursuade her, but it really is her choice in the end.
Twifighter4Edward17
Settled in Forks

Post by Twifighter4Edward17 »

1. Given everything we have learned from Edward about the fact that he was able to stop from drinking Bella's blood, but that he did not like the way she smelled because of the transfusions, what does that say about his control over the way he thirsts for her blood ? Do you think drinking her blood makes it easier or harder for him to resist ?

I think it is easier if he doesn't.

2. Edward admits that Alice has seen Bella as a vampire. Why do you suppose, since he of all people knows it's crazy to deny Alice's visions, that he is so resistant to giving in and changing Bella ?

Bella he said he does not want to take her soul away and that he did not want her to miss anything. But from her point of view I would so want to be a Vampire rather then human myself.

3. Bella begs Edward to never leave her. Although he never exactly promises Not to leave her, he does say it would be impossible for him to even try. Knowing what we know about New Moon, do you think he was saying this as a way to tide Bella and keep her calm for now ? Do you think he has plans even at this point in the story to one day leave her ?

No I don't think he will leave her ever again. No No that can and will not happen again.

4. Bella and Edward agrue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over wheather or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point ? Try to ignore all the discussions you've heard at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensable to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?

I think waiting like she did was best but on the other had I would have wanted that and I would have gone with him.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I think their relationship will be easier from now on. Edward did the impossible. He has been faced with the most unthinkable of situations between them, and he's proved to himself that he's able to overcome it. Their love would seemingly conquer all.

I think he truly believes Bella will change her mind, and when she does, Alice's visions will change.

I think he has always planned to one day leave her. Edward wants her to live a normal life. He knows that he can't be with her forever if she stays human. I'm sure he assumes she would eventually want children and a family; He doesn't want her to miss any of that.

I think they are both right. I selfishly wanted Edward to change her so their saga could continue and they would be together forever. Edward's opinions hold some validity though. Bella would leave everything natural, familiar, and would essentially be giving up any chance she had for any shred of a normal life, including her family.
Stacia
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Stacia »

He's got incredible control! Even though I've read all the books, I would have assumed that because he drank her blood, it would be easier to resist. Because he's had that taste...but then again....mind over matter, I guess!

It would hurt Bella. He doesn't want to see her in pain. He wants her to live a full, long life...and like he says: he doesn't want to damn her to an eternity of night.

I think he's always had plans in the back of his mind, just in case but I don't think at that particular moment he could've left her. She needed Edward to get through her "ordeal".

4. Bella and Edward argue about her becoming a vampire, to which he point blank says that he will never do that to her. When I first finished reading Twilight, I was very torn over whether or not Bella should become a vampire. How did you feel at this point? Try to ignore all the discussions you've had here at the lex and focus on your first initial reaction. Did you think Bella should be changed right away and leave her family and life behind, or did you think Edward was being sensible to tell her that her mortality was important and more natural than anything he could give her?
I think that he was right not to do it at that particular moment. I think it's best to hold off for as long he can. I wanted her to become a vampire though, even in the beginning. As horrible as it is, it is a romantic notion...
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

He does? I don't recall this in Twilight... hmmm... Alice's visions are not set in stone and can change. Also - Edward resists changing Bella because not one vampire has ever chosen the change, thus it is for them an uncontrolled fate that pains each vampire in a way.

Hmmm... I have not given it any though until now, but I don't think Edward has decided to leave just yet.

I was never torn - I always wanted Bella to become a vampire - ALWAYS!
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!