Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
maggmaster
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelings

Post by maggmaster »

Truthfully I was amazed athow polished this was for a rough, unedited version. The writing was superior to Twilight in almost every way and the prespective was interesting. My wife made the interesting comment that even if this had not been an accidental leak, it would still have been an excellent marketing decision. No matter when, if ever, Stephanie decides to finish this novel, ahe will surely have a huge number of people salivating to finish it.
TrueLove1
Settled in Forks

Post by TrueLove1 »

I have to say that I'm not mad at Stephenie for choosing not to continue with Midnight Sun. In fact, the more I think about this, I'm not mad at anyone at all. This entire situation, as unfortunate as it is, seems to be the bad result in a whole string of good intentions:

*Stephenie stops writing MS after a few amazing chapters because she's got a contract to get other books done. (Understandable)

*She gives copies of MS to various people she's close to and one person "for a good reason". She alludes to the fact that this person may have been taken advantage of and the story leaks.

The Twilight Fandom (heroine addicts being tempted with heroine :shock: ) can't resist another sip at the font of fabulousness and read the chapters (not knowing at the time whether these were actual chapters of this book or just a really good fan-fic writer.)

That's an important point that I think everyone is sort of glossing over here. Many, many people who read this didn't even know they were reading THE Midnight Sun. I read it and the question was still out there: Look at this thing. Do you think it could really be MS? Is the writing "right" for Stephenie? Is this Edward's voice?~ I for one was admittedly too curious not to read. At the end I was still thinking (because there was no statement from Stephenie's people): Even if this person isn't Stephenie, that was an amazing likeness and a REALLY worthwhile fan-fic.)

So a few days later I found out what I was reading was very likely Stephenie's work and within a day or two her statement came out to confirm it. She states that she is not in the mindset to finish this. She's too angry because she feels violated and this story wasn't meant to be seen yet. How can anyone blame her for that? She said herself that she's afraid if she sat down to finish it that James might win for crying out loud. Is that the story we want to read? I for one am not at all interested in a continuation and ending of MS that loses Edward's voice and his character. This story is All Edward; All The Time. I just have to ask myself how in heaven's name can she finish THIS book in any legitimate way if she's so upset and angry that she can't connect with Edward's voice? I just can't see an inspired story, which the first 12 chapters of MS undoubtedly are, come out of this circumstance.

My personal feeling is if the author herself recognizes that the story would suffer if she wrote the rest of it now, then I am going to take her at her word and be grateful that she has the intellectual maturity to know that she is not inspired to write this AND it really does deserve her full loving devotion. Until Edward's voice and his magic come back to her I agree with her and the other posters who say she should not finish MS.

I will go beyond that even and say to Stephenie that if the magic NEVER comes back, having just the first 12 chapters will be enough. That will always be better than a disjointed flat narrative.
danobanano
Putting the Fun in Fun Fur

Post by danobanano »

Utah's own Studio5 talk show has posted a poll asking for your thoughts on the Midnight Sun Leak.

After discovering her new book "Midnight Sun " had been leaked and posted on the Internet, author Stephenie Meyer announced she was too sad to continue writing, and put the project on hold indefinitely.

Will you...
Support Stephanie by not reading the incomplete version.
Read what is available, while holding on to hope that Stephenie finishes the book someday.
Click here to vote.

And if you happen to tune into KSL 5 Televsion at 11:00 am MST Tuesday Septemeber 9, 2008 you may get a chance to listen to my call in phone conversation with the hosts of the show.
It's all about expectations baby
Help Save Forks High School
Jezzie
Settled in Forks

Post by Jezzie »

I finished reading the draft of Midnight Sun from Stephanie Meyer'e website yesterday. I agree that it wasn't too shabby for a rough draft! I thought it really enhanced Bella and Edward's story to hear it from Edward's perspective, and it only made me love Twilight more. I truly truly hope that Stephanie can recover from the leak and someday finish this book. One of the biggest reasons I say that is because I think if it is left incomplete, someone else may finish it for her, and that's just not something I want to see. I want to read the meadow scene from Stephanie and no one else!!

If anyone has information about where readers/fans can send mail to Stephanie Meyer in support of Midnight Sun, could you please let me know?
Support Midnight Sun!!
SparklingDiamond
Wandering Through Town

Post by SparklingDiamond »

It's easy for us to say that she should pick herself up and write the dang book already, but this isn't an essay. An author's emotions really do bleed into the text they write, and I hope when her emotions start bleeding into Midnight Sun again they are the breathtakingly beautiful feelings that are so enchantingly portrayed in the first twelve chapters.
I couldn't agree more, Lilbit. The first 12 chapters of MS completely captured the magic of TW. This is what drew readers to the series in the first place. As a fan, I don't want any less than that for the rest of the book, if it gets written.

My personal feeling is if the author herself recognizes that the story would suffer if she wrote the rest of it now, then I am going to take her at her word and be grateful that she has the intellectual maturity to know that she is not inspired to write this AND it really does deserve her full loving devotion. Until Edward's voice and his magic come back to her I agree with her and the other posters who say she should not finish MS.

I will go beyond that even and say to Stephenie that if the magic NEVER comes back, having just the first 12 chapters will be enough. That will always be better than a disjointed flat narrative.
Again, I couldn't agree more. I never would have let myself think this if you hadn't already written it, Truelove, but if the magic isn't there, than I'd rather see SM let the story go.

Even Edward had the courage to walk away when he thought that's what was best. It wasn't popular, but it had to be done. We let him off the hook, well most of us, so let's do the same for Steph.
leannia
Wandering Through Town

Post by leannia »

You all make very valid points about her frame of mind and finishing MS. It's her book, she'll finish it if/when she wants to.

*edited because I was in a really bad mood when I oroginally wrote this.... sorry*

I honestly don't understand why she had to make a statement about it at all. I wish she would have just let the LIttle Brown legal dept. deal with it quietly. Most of us had no idea that there had even been a leak.
Last edited by leannia on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Persephonie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Persephonie »

QFT
Mopeding79
Settled in Forks

Post by Mopeding79 »

:o First of all I was SHOCKED!!! The reason being is that the other 4 books were kept under lock and key until they were released which was way awesome and then this happens I know as Stephenie put it that it was unintentional and mistakes happen and it is way sad that it did happen because among you I was really excited to read Twilight from Edward's perspective. I am happy that she was willing to put the partial draft online even though it is not all of it I was happy to read it or am reading it... I wish I had a laptop I can only read so much sitting at my computer.. Any way I love it and, it is so incredibly good and well written yah there are flaws but hello it's a draft.. I never realized how strong his connection was to Bella even from the beginning.. I love all of his silent thoughts like " Run Bella Run" or "by the I am in love you" or his jealousy just cracks me up or for the fact that he gets restless every time that he is apart from her... It makes me laugh.. I love it so Far.. I just hope and hope hope that one day that we will all be able to read the whole thing.. I bet we will I am trying to look at with optimism.. However I can totally see her perspective and how I would be upset to as an author and feel betrayed.. She is a great writer and I have enjoyed reading her work... :mrgreen:

" The Mountains are the means the man is the end. The idea is to improve the man, not to reach the top." ~ Walter Boatti
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

Meteora wrote:
I think the proper response would have been to take a break from writing it, deal with the cretin who leaked her stuff, and then get back to it, not threaten her entire fan base with the possibility of never getting to read this book they've been waiting for so long for.
Well, we have no indication that this ISN'T what she's doing. All she has said is that she can't write it right now.
My point here was that it is a threat, for lack of a better phrase. Midnight Sun is "indefinitely on hold". I don't pretend to know for a fact that SM will or will not publish the remainder of the book, but placing the novel "on hold" is the nice way of saying we might never see it come to fruition.

If I'm totally honest, I really only have a problem with this for one reason:

Will it totally suck to have been promised Midnight Sun and never be able to read it? Yes, but my life wouldn't end.

Would it suck to be Stephenie Meyer right now? Possibly. She's getting reamed out by some fans, supported by others, I'm sure she's being pressured by her publishing company, and then, over all of that, is the betrayal she has to feel thanks to the jerk who leaked her work. I personally emailed her publisher a quick note to tell them that I, along with many others, would most definitely read her book if/when it's published, leaked chapters and all.

However, she has the ability to deal with the loser who broke her trust. She *knows* who it is. They broke her trust, and, if you get down to it, probably a plethora of copyright laws. The fact is that it wasn't their work to publish anywhere, anytime. I can say with complete confidence that if the book I'm currently writing got taken from me and published online in it's partial format, errors and all, I'd finish it, *especially* if I knew I had a loyal fan base who was waiting on pins and needles for it.

I liked a comparison I read in some online article: It said that music is leaked all the time and you don't see the musician scrapping the whole album. *sigh*

Long story short: I just want to see her finish it, both for the reader's sake and for hers, to complete what she began.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I was angry that someone leaked out the draft. I decided not to read it, even the 1st chapter that Stephanie released. I felt it was an insult to Stephanie to read the unedited draft online. Its really frustrating.

I understand how Stephanie feels. I have been behind the scenes(etc etc etc) in school projects, and yes, it would be unpleasant that the thing you are working hard on is exposed before you can show it.\

I am gonna wait for the book to release, no matter what happens.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.