General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Imprinting

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake, I thought you meant "with" as in like, dating. Because he doesn't have to be with her emotionally, just near her.

I forget where it is but I'm pretty darn sure it was stated that Emily hated him at first because of the situation with Leah. It may be in Jacob's Book but it also may be in Being Jacob Black.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
amethyst
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by amethyst »

Holdingoutforjacob is right . . . Stephenie Meyer said in an interview that Emily said to Sam something along the lines of "I will never ever love you. Go to hell" . . . Sam didn't take it that well, he got really mad and furious and he exploded into a wolf. Poor Emily was standing too close and well the rest is history. ;)
"I never would have banished him from her society as long as she desired his. . . . . But, till then--if you don't believe me, you don't know me--till then, I would have died by inches before I touched a single hair of his head!"
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I know I read that somewhere. Thank you!

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

amethyst wrote:Holdingoutforjacob is right . . . Stephenie Meyer said in an interview that Emily said to Sam something along the lines of "I will never ever love you. Go to hell" . . . Sam didn't take it that well, he got really mad and furious and he exploded into a wolf. Poor Emily was standing too close and well the rest is history. ;)
I gotcha!, I don't read the interviews usually. I didn't think I read it in the book anywhere.
Thanks ;)
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

One thing about this whole imprinting thing that absolutely disgusted me is when they got Nessie out, and Jake thought Bella was dead, he just left. He didn't even try to save her. Even though he no longer loved her in that way.. you still don't leave people to die.
I guess it doesn't have much to do with the imprinting thing, more to do with Jacobs idiocy.

It doesn't matter that the 'pull' was towards Nessie instead of Bella.. you still don't walk away when someone is DYING. It still doesn't matter if Edward was there.
I never liked Jacob, and that part right there just justified why he's an idiot.

Even though he probably couldn't help Bella.. you just don't walk away.. :cry: :cry: :cry:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

TNO wrote:
And them, Sam could tell her everything. There are no rules that bind you when you find your other half.
My translation: Sam made himself out to be the victim, and tried to gain Emily's acceptance through pity.
I understood this differently. My take is that Sam phased while he was still with Leah (as in, in a relationship). The elders finally got to him, and he regains enough control to phase back to human. But he has nothing to offer Leah in ways of explanation- where he's been, what happened to him... He has to keep it a secret, after all.

And then Emily comes along, and Sam imprints on her. Suddenly the rules (of secrecy) don't apply anymore- he's free to tell Emily all about him- man and wolf combined- that he was never able to tell Leah (until presumably she too phased). He didn't make himself out to be a victim- he was just horrified at what he had done (when he hurt Emily) and reacted badly. And as Jacob said, then it was Emily comforting him, and one thing led to another...

TNO wrote:I'm not saying it's wrong to dote on someone you love. What I'm saying is it's wrong to do so if they don't want you to dote on them. I'm not saying it's wrong to want to be with someone you love- but it is wrong to force your presence upon them if they don't want you around. The implication in the Twilight series is that shifters do just that to their imprintees- they force themselves on the imprintees until they're accepted.
Where do you see this? I don't think we've actually seen any of the imprinting werewolves force themselves into the lives of their imprintees.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Jadey wrote:One thing about this whole imprinting thing that absolutely disgusted me is when they got Nessie out, and Jake thought Bella was dead, he just left. He didn't even try to save her. Even though he no longer loved her in that way.. you still don't leave people to die.
I guess it doesn't have much to do with the imprinting thing, more to do with Jacobs idiocy.
I was so mad about that too. I couldn't believe it. She wasn't dead yet. And while Edward was still fighting like crazy to save Bella's life, Jacob rushes down the stairs to kill their newborn daughter!! He should still feel the love for Bella like he felt as her friend, and not just leave her to kill the baby that she might have given her life to save.
ringswraith wrote:
TNO wrote:I'm not saying it's wrong to dote on someone you love. What I'm saying is it's wrong to do so if they don't want you to dote on them. I'm not saying it's wrong to want to be with someone you love- but it is wrong to force your presence upon them if they don't want you around. The implication in the Twilight series is that shifters do just that to their imprintees- they force themselves on the imprintees until they're accepted.
Where do you see this? I don't think we've actually seen any of the imprinting werewolves force themselves into the lives of their imprintees.
I think this is just the point about imprinting. I just read about this, where Jacob is telling Bella about Quil imprinting on Claire. And he explains how it's not some dirty relationship with a kid. Jacob says that the wolf will be whatever his imprintee needs him to be. He will be her friend, her brother..Whatever she needs at a given point in time. And eventually they will fall in love because they will be perfect for each other. But I'm thinking that if the imprintee didn't fall in love with the wolf, that he would still be her friend. He would never force himself on her, because her happiness is the most important thing. So I think the important issue here is that the wolf will be there for his object of imprinting. Nothing forced about it they way I see it.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
TNO
Wandering Through Town

Post by TNO »

I think this is just the point about imprinting. I just read about this, where Jacob is telling Bella about Quil imprinting on Claire. And he explains how it's not some dirty relationship with a kid. Jacob says that the wolf will be whatever his imprintee needs him to be. He will be her friend, her brother..Whatever she needs at a given point in time. And eventually they will fall in love because they will be perfect for each other. But I'm thinking that if the imprintee didn't fall in love with the wolf, that he would still be her friend. He would never force himself on her, because her happiness is the most important thing. So I think the important issue here is that the wolf will be there for his object of imprinting. Nothing forced about it they way I see it.
No. Imprinting exists for purposes of reproduction. When Claire's legal, everyone will expect her to fall in love with/marry/have kids with Quil. As I said, he may not force her physically, but the sheer amount of pressure from the expectations of basically everyone who knows about the wolf pack will basically ensure that she does end up bearing Quil's children.
I might not have a problem with this if Quil kept his distance, but really- would you want to date your older brother?
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I don't think she would feel forced. I think that the imprintees on their own will fall in love with their wolf. The main concern of the wolves are to make their imprintees happy. If for whatever reason she wasn't happy with him (and I don't see why she wouldn' be) he would leave her alone and let her live her life. But since he's been there for her her whole life, done everything to keep her safe and happy, why wouldn't she fall in love with him?

But that's just my opinion.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

But- she's not dating her older brother. It's not the same thing.

I agree that the imprinter/imprintee falling into a relationship is the "natural" or "expected" course of things. But the imprintee is actually free to find someone else if they so desire. But why would they choose anyone else? As Jacob says, "It's hard to resist that level of commitment."

The imprinter actually has less of a choice in the matter; they want nothing but happiness for the imprintee, and they'll be unable to see anyone else (as Quil tells Jacob).