Make Up

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Make Up

Post by skylarblue »

AliceLauren, I was thinking about trying the true match foundation but wasn't sure since I have really oily skin, let me know if you think that it's worth a try.

I agree that it takes a long time to put on Bare Minerals, I think it's kind of funny because they say it should only take 5 minutes. So not true.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
loverboyis
Learning to Love Green
Location: Debating on the Oxford Heels vs. the Laced Booties with Alice

Post by loverboyis »

If it's any help, I always use Makeup Alley to see reviews and ratings on a product or brand name - you have to sigh up to see, but in the end, I found it to be worth it :) Accurate ratings and reviews, but best to read threw all and see whether or not some factors (skin tone, sensitive/oily skin, etc) applies to you.
Oh and always moisturize before you use any powder or mineral of sorts:
- Pressed Power, Minerals, etc will last longer on your face threw out the day
- You won't be as oily when you use moisturizer; you shouldn't get as much of a shiny look
- Keep the moisturizer on for 3-5 minutes, let it skink in. And a little goes a long way :]
Cherry-Cherry Boom-Boom - Mosic
F-16
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by F-16 »

skylarblue wrote:AliceLauren, I was thinking about trying the true match foundation but wasn't sure since I have really oily skin, let me know if you think that it's worth a try.
I've tried the true match foundation, and I've found that it works really really well for me. It's not 'heavy' if you know what I mean. It goes on well, and it feels light. My skin's pretty oily and I find that if I'm wearing it all day and I sweat a lot, the effect wears off, but I don't get that hideous shine that I usually do when I'm hot.

Hope that helps!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

For a long time makeup user, I feel like I'm just starting out because now at the end of the day I get asked if I've run a five mile marathon because my skin is so shiny and flushed looking.

I guess I've learned all my makeup tips by trial and error. So I'm going to try everyone's suggestions and hopefully I will find something that really works.

One question though, I thought moistureizer was only for those with dry skin? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the whole point was to put the moisture back into dry skin so how does it benefit oily skin?
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
jess_marie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by jess_marie »

Oh snap. This is my shoot right here!

What can't you live without? Liner & mascara
What brands do you use? TONS. From MAC to CoverGirl to cheap Why are we talking about a donkey? Claire's shoot.
What makeup tips do you want to share? It just takes practice.
Your worst makeup story? Poking myself with new mascara wands.
Are you having a good makup day? Not so much.
Are you a child of the eighties and want to ban blue eyeshadow? No!! As long as it's used in the appropriate ways, it's alright.

Links to some of my makeup!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/M ... CN6651.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/M ... rnpuep.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/M ... CN7387.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/M ... yeball.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/M ... G_0045.jpg

Yeah, you get the idea.

TEAM EDWARD
because vampires sparkle, duh.
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

What can't you live without?
That's rather a tough question, as I don't actually wear makeup that often. I've been told by many people that I have an excellent face that really doesn't need much in the way of makeup, but I INSIST on eyeliner and mascara, at the very least. Lipstick (or lip gloss) is entirely optional. No lip liner, if at all possible.

What brands do you use?
I'm not picky here, really; if it's got a shade I like, that I can wear, I'll grab it. Rimmel's one I always look for, but in lieu of that some CoverGirl is okay. If I'm wearing lipstick, I don't want it to go ANYWHERE, so I try to find MaxFactor's Lipfinity or its closest equivalent in the shade I need. That's getting tougher, anymore. Mary Kay is about the only company that sells foundation in my skin tone (Ghost White, which is only slightly darker than Hungry Cullen White, from what I understand), but I quit wearing foundation a while back. Probably a good bet--that mail-order stuff gets pricey, and they don't give you much.

What makeup tips do you want to share?

When they say "accent your best features", they're not kidding. Failing that, draw out and fix the ones that stand out as problem spots. For example, my eyes are set so deep they're practically in the center of my head. It can make it hard to notice my eyes except for when my glasses are reflecting glare. A single line of eyeliner along the upper lid and a mascara in a complimentary shade will drag those puppies out any day. Depending on what I'm wearing, a washed-out bluish-grey or an autumn red (again, not too heavy: not all Bette Davison comparisons are favorable) goes well to add extra "oomph". And don't think they're just going to hide behind your glasses, unless you wear sunglasses all the time; glasses can actually accent your eyes. Frankly, they're equal parts accessory and necessity.

Also, limit the dark colors. Dramatic is good for night-time, but too much gets scary. Think more "Victorian Cameo" than "World-Owning Queen", unless you're out to impress someone. (Or a bunch of someones. But don't go dramatic in a business venture. That tends to put people off.)

Your worst makeup story?
The first time my mom put eyeshadow on me...it was a deep blue, and it clashed horribly with my flower-print dress that was already offensive enough as it was. Even worse, it was shared, and I guess something got in the mix, because I came down with conjunctivitis not too long after that. She chucked the eyeshadow and hasn't broached the subject since.

Are you having a good makup day?

If I have accomplished my goals, then it's a good day. A good makeup day is just when I get what I need to make things happen at a reasonable price.

Are you a child of the eighties and want to ban blue eyeshadow?

1.) Yes--early eighties. 2.) Not so much ban, though there are few enough people that could pull off blue eyeshadow that I'd want to limit the non-costume usage of anything darker than cyan.
Edward Cullen Fan
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Edward Cullen Fan »

Lately, I've been wearing make up but recently it doesn't really look like I'm wearing any. I use CoverGirl/Maybelline. Maybe I should try something different. Is there anything that's really good with that, but not totally expensive? :?
srabrgr
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by srabrgr »

Holy crap, I am completely loving how you do your eye makeup, I was thinking about playing with some color and I think I will use a couple of your photos as a guide lol
"Don't forget those sparklin' day walkers!"
AliceLauren
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by AliceLauren »

skylarblue wrote:AliceLauren, I was thinking about trying the true match foundation but wasn't sure since I have really oily skin, let me know if you think that it's worth a try.

I agree that it takes a long time to put on Bare Minerals, I think it's kind of funny because they say it should only take 5 minutes. So not true.
It works really well. I love it. I don't use the pad brush thing it come with. I use another powder applying brush.

But just make sure that before you put it on to wash your face or something, otherwise it will become really oily.
StupidxLamb
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by StupidxLamb »

If anyone wants some Ahmazing lip gloss, try Rimmel London's Eastend Snob. It's such a beautiful color. It's really neutral looking, but shiny and...gah. I'm almost finished with my tube; It's so awesome. Plus, it LASTS! I've never loved a lip gloss as much as I love this. :oops: *mwah*
Team Edward
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it"-Jack Handy