A Chapter by Chapter Discussion of New Moon

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 9 ~ Third Wheel

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
I can actually see Jessica's point here. She was probably so scared by what Bella did outside that bar. And Bella had alianated a lot of her friends when she spent all her time grieving over Edward. But I do not think it was fair of Jessica to try and turn the others against Bella anyway.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
The meadow is their special place. It's the place where he really opened up to her, and her to him. It's the place where they had their first physical contact. I think she needs to go there, because she has so many memories connected to that place. And I think she feels that a piece of Edward is lingering there.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
He knew that Bella loved him as a friend and that she needed him in her life. He probably figured that he would just wait untill she was over Edward, and then she would realize that she loved Jacob. I never thought that would happen, but Jacob seems to be very persistent.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
I feel very biased answering this question, since I only wanted her to be with Edward and I wanted her to wait for him. But I will try to look at it neutral ground...Switzerland...Months had passed since Edward left, and there had been absolutely no contact. She had no reason to believe that he would be coming back. So she should try to open her heart a little bit and see if she could be happy with Jacob. And Edward wanted her to move on and be happy. But I don't think that she would have been able to. Too large a part of heart belonged to Edward, and there wouldn't be enough left for Jacob.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

These questions come from the lovely Twix!

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified?
i dont she did explaint hat she thought she knew the gut that sounds perfect innocent so no it wasnt justified

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice?
it was edwards speacial place and maybe his essance is there and trigger the voices

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up?
he knows time would heal and then she would want him in the same way

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on?
i think its smart of her its abit out of order on jacob that she would always think of an other but he accepts that
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

I think that Jess thinks Bella is crazy. I also think that Jess thinks she might pull the same stunt when they go out again. So I wasn’t surprised with it at all.

The meadow was somewhere where Edward could be himself. He didn’t have to hide and he could be in his glory. There was no way anyone else was going to see him and there was no reason as to why anyone else should. It was his special place. If he was going to exist anywhere besides the house, it would have been there.

It’s his personality. I don’t see him as one to just drop it because Bella said no. He’ll give her the space he needs, but then he’s there to remind her that when she is ready, he’ll be there for her.

I think that by her thinking the Cullens are never coming back, it’s smart for her to try and move on. And it’s smart for her to realize that she will never love anyone the way that she loves Edward. She’s not lying to herself so it’s all good.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I think it depends which way you look at it. From Bella's point of view, no - she went through Hell and had an irrational but in the end, valid reason for doing what she did. Jess wasn't hurt and it was Bella's personal issue, so why should she go all out to keep people away from her? But then from Jess's point of view... Bella asks her to see a movie out of the blue after ignoring her for four months, acts weird all through it, and then walks off to a bunch of random guys that she'd been trying to escape from. She acted like a nut with no explanation, and Jess never knew how deeply she felt about Edward to justify the freak outs. And Jess thought they were in danger, and Bella wasn't helping that. So I suppose she had every reason to feel angry - though I don't think it was right to turn other people against her. Deal with your own issues, instead of involving other people - God knows Bella had to.

Because more than anywhere else, the meadow symbolises Edward to her. It makes sense that if anywhere, his voice and his prescence would be there.

I think he's just naturally like that - he likes a challenge anyway, as proven by the bikes, and Bella is a challenge at that point. More than that, though, he really likes her - he doesn't like seeing her miserable and believes he can make her happy. He thinks by being persistant, he'll win her over - and he makes both of them happy in one go.

I saw it as a betrayal. It was so clear to me that she was always meant for Edward that the idea of her with someone else irritated me and felt like she was being disloyal to Edward. But away from the caught up emotion, from where she was, it wasn't the worst idea... She was in a bad state and had someone around that made her a bit better. Why not give herself the chance of a slight bit of happiness, the only kind she can get, and make Jacob, her best friend, happy in the process?
But whatever. Team Edward.
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tonya »

1. Jessica switches allegiance by siding with Lauren and convincing others to not go on the group outing. Do you feel that, based on Bella's actions the night of the bar incident, her reaction is justified? Not in my mind. Bella needed help I wouldn't have gotten mad at her like Jessica did.

2. When the motorcycle loses power to summon Edward's voice, Bella begins to search for the meadow. Why do you think she chooses this as her next attempt to conjure his voice? I guess because it's where they declared their love.

3. Bella is amazed that Jacob never gives up on pursuing her, despite rejection after rejection. She wonders where he gets the confidence. Based on what we know of Jacob, what do you think he reasons are for being so confident and not giving up? It's just who he is.

4. Bella knows that part of her will always love Edward, yet she begins to entertain the idea of Jacob being more than just a friend. Do you see this as a betrayal of her heart, or is she smart to press forward and think about moving on? Since she believed that Edward was never coming back it made since to think about moving on but it really isn't fair to Jacob because her heart belonged to Edward.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Well, no. But I'm sure that's what Jessica thinks. Bella's behavior was strange, for sure but if Jess were a true friend to Bella she would forgive the behavior.

It was a very special place to them; even if the adrenaline rush doesn't conjure his voice she has very distinctive memories associated with the place so she will probably feel closer to Edward while she's there.

His innate wolfiness gives him additional confidence; but I also think at this point he is just a happy, positive kid who sees a positive outcome for every situation & works toward it.

It's probably a little bit of both, actually. In order to be able to move on she needs to betray her true feelings a little bit. Otherwise the unrequited love & sadness will continue to run her life.

Image Image Image
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Yeah to both...stupid Jessica

Because it was their 'spot'

Umm I just think that Jake is really really stuborn

I was so so so betrayed...I was like no Edward will be back!!! He has to be!
**Kathryn**
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

yes it was justified, i cant blame her, but i still feel bad for bella. she couldnt help it!

i didnt know really. it wasnt really that dangerous and i thoght she had to do something dangerous to get his voice. i guess the meadow is where they were able to be themselves together and thats where she thought his presense would be the strongest.

thats just jacob! if he wants it, he doesnt give up! im gald he is too cause things would be a disaster otherwise!!

shes smart. at this point i thought edward was gone for good and jacob cared for her and would give her everthing she needed. a good choice, all in all.
Betting on Alice.
April Allen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by April Allen »

I don't know... maybe a little. But I think she should've talked to Bella before making any gossip about her. I don't know...

Because it's not just a meadow, it's THE meadow! Edward and Bella's place! She thinks that finding and seeing that place would bring her some memories about Edward, maybe hearing his voice too. Poor girl.

First of all: Edward's not there. Second of all: He knows that Bella feels better when he's around, so he can use that. And he is patient, he is his best friend.

I think it's a way of moving on. For all she knew, Edward was not coming back.
"Oh, I'm with the vampires, of course." - Bella Swan
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

Not really. Jessica is one of those people who like normalcy and popularity. Bella made refrence in Twilight, how it seemed Jessica seemed to enjoy the popularity more than her company.

Eventually she would have went there. I think what brought it up was going to the house first. Then the more she thought about it, she realized the meadow may have more of an emotional impact. That's where they first declared themselves and where he showed himself to her.

He knows how he feels about her. He is able to see more than just her looks but who she really is.

Not a betrayal.. but what can she do. Edward is gone forever. She's not forcing herself to get over him,.. it's just working out like that.