Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by Asheleyo »

Danica wrote:i fled from Stephanie site and hid under my pillow going lah lah lah lah lah. but i had to face the inevitable
Lol, that's pretty funny. Hiding from Edward's thoughts!
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Danica
Wandering Through Town

Post by Danica »

i would have translated the Battle Hymn of the Republic into Arabic but unfortunately i dont know all the words :)
and you really wouldnt want me to. i do sound like a crow that is being strangled while trying to gargle gravel, or something similar. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...
watch out the green imp is about....
clpviolet

Post by clpviolet »

I really, really loved MS. I wish that things didn't happen the way that they did, so that we could have this novel like published eventually or something. Oh well :cry:. I have read MS like three times, maybe more it was a while ago and I have lost count since then. I just loved seeing everything from Edward's PoV. After the first read I was hooked, and I kept re-reading and comparing it to Twilight looking at them each from all the angles. I analyzed it with a fine tooth comb or something. Each and every chapter and each and every character and then comparing it to MS to see what Edward thought.

I really wish that we could also have the meadow scene. Because that is my favorite scene/part in Twilight and to read Edward's thoughts going on in his head that whole day would have like been the best part of that book, too.
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

The part about the meadow scene that most makes me want to see it in MS is his reaction to Bella stroking his arm. He tells her she has no idea what it feel like, and I want to hear it in his head. I thought both Edward and Bella were good at describing the electricity that seems to flow between them, and I thought this would be quite comparable to that moment for him

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I think the meadow scene is what everyone wants to read! That and when he takes her to his home and is finally relaxed with her. When he finds her nearly dead in Phoenix will be incredible to read, and help a lot with his perspective in New Moon.
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

OMG, the meadow scene! Yeah, that will be really something to see in Edward's POV. How long has it been since the pre-book got leaked, a year? How long is she gonna take to get over it? Sheesh! Rabid fans over here!!! I tried to hold out and be a MSV, but my will power is weak. I wouldn't make a very good Cullen. :(
You know, Edward is awfully...effusive...even in his own mind and not speaking aloud. This is really apparent in MS. I was wondering, were most people that way in the early part of the 20th century? Or is that how SM imagines it? I wonder if she knows anyone that old and used them as inspiration? My grandma was born in 1910 and I don't remember her being quite that verbose or poetic. Maybe SM is getting her centuries mixed up?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

The verbose language, as you put it, would have been a little old by the nineteen-teens, but still in vogue among the well off. Edward was from a wealthy family and very well educated, so his speech would have shown that. The thing I missed were the colorful colloquialisms of that era. They had a wide array of uncommon sayings that would have been fun to read.
Great question. I have a master's degree in history, so proper verbiage is something I catch pretty quickly as well.
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

Openhome wrote:The verbose language, as you put it, would have been a little old by the nineteen-teens, but still in vogue among the well off. Edward was from a wealthy family and very well educated, so his speech would have shown that. The thing I missed were the colorful colloquialisms of that era. They had a wide array of uncommon sayings that would have been fun to read.
Great question. I have a master's degree in history, so proper verbiage is something I catch pretty quickly as well.
So would you say his use of "oh for the love of all that is holy" is more of a modern thing or older? I don't know how far back that particular expression goes.

I always found his use of it quite amusing, though.

Openhome

Post by Openhome »

That expression was used from the late 1880's on (in editorials from newspapers that I have studied for my thesis paper). It was used well into the early 1900's. I loved that line!
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

Openhome, thanks for that response, nice to get an educated opinion! BTW, what colloquialisms would you have liked SM to include? My grandma, while not exactly well off and a little younger than Edward, could sure turn a phrase! She was before her time, quite a spitfire. I can't remember exactly some of the phrases (she passed away a few years ago), I'm hoping to be reminded. :)
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."