A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 21 ~ Phone Call

Post by darkrider »

1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had sketched Bella's house in Phoenix?
i wasn't surprised at all

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on.
so edward won't know

3. Bella is able to resist Jasper's calming power. Do you think she actually successfully resisted, or that he gave up when she broke contact?
she successfully resisted....given that i've read BD
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Post by MoonlitRose »

1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had sketched Bella's house in Phoenix?

I was shocked and afraid for Bella and Renee, because at that point I knew James had been there. What Bella may or may not find at her house could be heartbreaking and terrifying.

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on?

Bella was afraid they would stop her! She was terrified that if she didn't go, she would be leaving her mother to die at the hands of James. There would be no way that Alice and Jasper would let Bella go alone, which is strictly what James told her to do: get to her house, alone. If not, her mother would die.

3. Bella is able to resist Jasper's calming power. Do you think she actually successfully resisted, or that he gave up when she broke contact?

I think Jasper gave up when she broke contact. Jasper is a lot more powerful than Bella is, and if he had wanted to, he could have forced his power on her. However, I don't think Jasper likes to force people to do things--or feel things--they don't want to do or feel.
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

it was terrifying. i just said terrifying out loud btw, and i stuttered, it was like "t-t-terrifying" lol. anyway, it was like, crap, what is james planning? what's bella gunna do? where's edward? crap.

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on.
she was scared, james told her he would know if she was with anyone and bella would do anything to save her mother so she wasn't going to say anything. james manipulated her and it worked perfectly, i think i would do the same thing.

i dont think jasper wanted to force her into anything so when she broke contact he stopped trying and let her be.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by amulaya »

Was shocked! Didn't see that one coming.

Because she knows that they could stop her.

I think she successfully resisted. Apparently it's not as strong when he isn't touching you.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. What was your reaction when you realized that Alice had sketched Bella's house in Phoenix? I thought, O my God, that is creepy! He's at her house??

2. Why do you think Bella chooses not to tell Alice and Jasper what is going on. She knew they would try to stop her; she didn't want them getting hurt defending her- James was after her, not the Cullens.

3. Bella is able to resist Jasper's calming power. Do you think she actually successfully resisted, or that he gave up when she broke contact? Yes; I think maybe Jasper also let it go and just let her for once feel what she needed to feel.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

Whoa, this is some twisted stuff.

Because she thought her mother was in danger, would you risk your mother's life to keep friends in the loop, i know I wouldn't she's your mother. Besides Alice already found out, and was smart enough not to talk about it cause she understood the dilemma that bella had.

I think she was so strong willed at that point that nothing could really change her mind.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

i knew automatically that James was in her house. that he would probably find someway to get Renee. (and i cannot believe that James was so smart as to look through all her family videos and find Renee's panicking voice. hes really frickin determined when he wants to eat.) and that Bella should probably stay away. but i knew she wasnt going to. ill admit i got a little creeped out and scared.

they probably would not have helped her. maybe Alice. maybe. because she would see that the rest of the family would get there in time. but i dont think that she would take such a big risk. the future couldve changed.

but also! Alice could have seen that James really didnt have Renee and saved Bella a whole lotta worrying and panicking. dang i wonder what wouldve happened.

he definately stopped willingly. his power really does affect Bella. he probably doesnt like pushing feelings on people except when they need it. Bella definately needed it but i think he was giving her space. a little control. they had to follow the instructions. stay in a hotel room for too long. Bella had no control over what was going on and maybe he wanted to let her have something that she solely had control over.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

Fear

She knows that they will insist going with her and she doesn't want them to risk their lives. Most of all, I think she is truly frightened by James threat to her mother. She assumes there is no other way but to go by herself so that she can make sure everyone is safe.

I think this is where we see the human side of Bella's power to block herself off. She is so strong willed and protective of the ones she loves, and herself that she successfully puts up her shield...even as a human.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I was kinda worried that James would go there and kill her there, well, freaky.

She didn't want the others to get injured(like how). She doesn't want people to sacrifice for her. '

I think she successfully resisted it. Lol
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

I was thinking that James was in Phoenix, at Bella's mother's house, and that they were seriously screwed. I knew he must be planning something bad having to do with her mother.

She knew that if she were able to avoid James in this instance, he would not give up and never leave her alone. I think she wanted to get her death over with. Also, she was obviously worried that James would find out she told Alice and Jasper, and he would kill her mother. I know this is horrible, but I wish she had told Alice and Jasper, even before I knew it was a ruse. I figured they could probably get to James without him hurting her mother, but if he did, I thought she was expendable enough. I know, I'm horrible.

I think she did successfully resist. She has a very powerful mind, she's a shield!