True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Post by Edward_Addict »

Kim, love, I'm sorry but I have to correct you on something. There actually IS an orgy-type sex party at the end of Living Dead in Dallas that draws the attention of the maenad (because she's attracted to lust and alcohol). The fact that there are these types of parties in Bon Temps is mentioned towards the beginning of the book, but Sookie doesn't attend it until the end, with Eric, to figure out what happened to Lafayette.
And I didn't think Lorena was mentioned until the third book, when Sookie finds out that Bill went to be with her again. What are you referring to when you said Isabel arranged for her to come back?
Dxplora07 wrote:ok, so I'm new, I've never read the books, and I just saw my first episode tonight on HBO...I'm slightly interested, but before I go out and start reading, I have a few questions. I'm pretty conservative, and what I saw, with the nudity and cursing, is it pretty rampant like that in the books? Is this series more like Twilight with the "fade to black" when certain scenes take place? thanks for the info!
Well unlike the Twilight series, the Sookie books are adult. So they don't have the "fade to black" moments. Sex is described. But it's not nearly as abundant as it is on the show. And the books are written from Sookie's point of view, so she (obviously) only describes sex she has. And there is SOME cursing, but not a ton.
But I HIGHLY recommend that you read the books. They are much much MUCH better than the show. Honestly, I enjoy watching TB but it is nothing like the books. They are butchering the characters and all the storylines.
Image Image
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

Mandy, your right about the one party, but for some reason I dont think of it the way they are portraying it on TB. that was a small party with a few couples. TB its all the time it seems and Maryann is always a part of it. Just excess to me.
And to dxplora, Read the books, you wont be sorry. So much cooler and better than the show.
:lol: :D
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
Dxplora07
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Dxplora07 »

thanks for the reviews..I can handle some cursing, and as long as it's relevant to the plot, a little "naughty" scenes, if anything, and I get to embaressed, I can always skip ahead...I was just a little uncomfortable watching the show, it was just too much for me....but if it's not as raunchy as the TV show, then I think that's def something I can handle. I'll pick up the first book this weekend and when I get done, come back to this forum! :)
bluemaria

Post by bluemaria »

I liked (not loved) the episode on Sunday. It seemed like they were not dragging it out as much as they have been, there seemed to be the beginnings of resolutions to many of the plot lines. On another forum someone mentioned them maybe blaming Daphne’s death on Sam. I never thought of that but it makes a lot of sense. I have to say I was not a bit worried for Jason. I don't see them killing him off and that did look an awful lot like a paint ball gun, like the one he used in the episode with Sara and Lafayette's dance numbers. Sara could have won the "Biggest Hair in Texas" prize when she shot Jason (and that is saying something). Godric looked like a different actor. Can Vampires age and gain muscle mass??? I was not thrilled about the flash backs but I think that Lorena and Bill actually have interesting on screen chemistry, I don't want to watch them get it on like the last episode but they are fun to watch fight. Bill is terrible not only does he treat Sookie like dog doo, now we see he broke Lorena's evil little heart. This Lorena is a much more sympathetic character than the one in the book. I don't know that she REALLY deserves a stake in the show yet. When Bill said "the Bleeds have started" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing :lol: . Of course my sick humor supplied "is that like 'the runs' " Hoyt and Jessica were wonderful as always. The “what have you done it with? :shock: ” made me laugh also :lol: . I think Sookie showed a little more back bone in this episode and that was nice. I enjoyed the scenes with Eric though I have to say I am getting tired of the monotone and bored expression, I get it, he’s too cool for all of this. It’s time to give Eric a little more depth. I don’t like that they just keep telling us that Eric likes Sookie. In my estimation, other than calling a doctor for her and not killing her when she slapped him, I have not seen much of a hint in his actions that he wants her for anything more than the service she can provide. Reading the books their connection is obvious, in the show it seems contrived.

Dxplora - I agree that you should read the books, at least read 1 and 2 and see how you like it they only get better as you go along. Like they already said there is sex in the series (esp. books 1 and 4) but it is not in every book. They are pretty bloody and there is some language. They are good books though and I recommended them to my aunt so they are not THAT embarrassing :lol:

Gamb1t- Oh my gosh I never thought I would see the day when we got a guy on this forum :D Have you read the books or are you just into the show? You would like the book Eric he reminds me VERY much of Gambit.
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

Blue - I pretty much agree with everything you said. The thing I was looking forward to the most with the start of the current season was the development of Eric and Sookie's relationship. But you are absolutely right, as much as I love him, I am too getting tired of the monotones and bored expressions. Book Eric is WAAAAAAAAAYY better and it is a shame that they are not portraying him in that fashion.

I really, really like it when Sookie and Bill are not together because she is not as annoying as she usually is. In the books, Sookie was not that annoying to me, but on the show, I just want to slap her. :lol:

As for Jessica and Hoyt, I was actually p'ed off about Jessica at first and was like, "OMG that isn't in the books!!! I am so p*ssed!!!" But she has grown on me.

Regarding Jason, there was a commercial with clips from the rest of the season and it did show that he was shot with a paint ball gun because he was looking down at his chest with a big red dot and Sarah was saying something to him as he was about to get up and stuff.
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i have read all of the book ages ago and have been waiting for months for the show to come on in the UK. we finally got it on Sky a couple of weeks back and tommorow will be the forth episode. can anyone fill me in about what they have changed about the plot in the first series pretty please????????
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
bluemaria

Post by bluemaria »

Landiana wrote:i have read all of the book ages ago and have been waiting for months for the show to come on in the UK. we finally got it on Sky a couple of weeks back and tommorow will be the forth episode. can anyone fill me in about what they have changed about the plot in the first series pretty please????????

There are a TON of things changed in the first season and even more in the second. The biggest changes to me in the first season were the characterization of Tara and Lafayette. They both have much bigger rolls in the show than in the books and their story lines are unique to the show. Also a new character that is not in the books is introduced near the end of the first season. Sookie and Eric's interaction in the show is much different than in the books. I feel that Eric's character is like a different person (vampire) in the show than it is in the books. I will not spoil you with too much information. You probably will not want to know if you really want to enjoy the show. :D

Have you read all the way to book 9? You should reread the books and come dish with us :D
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

So I saw this gif image (the one in my sig) and I couldn't resist.
With that and my avatar I swear I'm going to have to change my name to Eric_Addict :oops: :D
Image Image
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

yeah i have read all the way to book nine i just haven't bought them all... yet! i have the first two and last two on my book shelves and re read them quite recently.

so what does everyone think about the ending of the ninth one if you have read it???
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
eclipse my heart
Settled in Forks

Post by eclipse my heart »

True Blood = LOVE! My mom got season one on DVD recently, I was so happy. Now I can watch it with the commentary. Even though my friend said it wasn't as funny as the Twilight commentary. *shrug*

I'm SO behind on season two. I feel like I need to get on that.
And I'm thinking about reading the books.

I didn't see any mention of this, so sorry if I overlooked it; but...
Stephen Moyer (Bill) and Anna Paquin (Sookie)... engaged in real life?! How cute is THAT?