Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
eclipse my heart
Settled in Forks

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by eclipse my heart »

Going on about what debussygirl said...

I wouldn't be surprised if Jasper's reason for staying with the Cullens WAS 95% based on Alice's influence. But I don't think that means he doesn't love and/or care about them. I guess that's why his character is the one that I feel the most sympathy for? Because he's suffering through something that he wouldn't have chosen for himself, just because he loves Alice so much.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I do think a good part of the reason Jazz does stay within the Cullen's and their diet is because of Alice, but I think another part of it is the fact that the family unit, with the exception of Edward before Bella came, were relatively happy and easy to be around for the most part. Being around them put the depression in him at ease, and he was able to feel as normal as he could with his power. Once Bella came into the picture he did have to fight with his natural instinct to bite her, and it didn't help that he felt the lusting feeling that came from Edward, before he left because of the birthday accident.

When you live in darkness for so long you either want out or want something that gives you a good feeling. When everything had settled at the end of Breaking Dawn, and everyone was feeling happy, I do think that was when Jazz felt the happiest, and at ease the most with his power. Being an empath had to be draining on him, and the happy feeling he was getting from someone other than the love of his life had to feel good.

Alice is the light in his darkness like Bella is to Edward, and he would do anything for her. If anything were to happen to Alice, Jazz would be lost and revert into a shell of himself.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Good analogy, RebeccaCullen! Jasper joined the Cullens because Alice knew the Cullens' lifestyle would be the happiest situation for both her and Jasper and she led him there. Jasper would have stayed for Alice's sake even if it were not so ideal for him; but happily, the emotional climate in Carlisle's family was generally good--until Bella's arrival temporarily caused some angst and despair.

At the end of Breaking Dawn, Bella noted that Jasper seemed "more central" to the family than usual -- even more central than during the three months following Bella's transformation and before Irina went to the Volturi. What do you think changed for Jasper that lead up to Bella's observation?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i also think that some of the reasons he stuck to the diet was because of his unfortunate upbringing as it was. if he had been changed by some other vampire who just fed occasionally on humans i don't think that he would have had the same sort of depression or guilt towards feeding on humans. but because he fed so much due to the wars he felt the guilt so quickly. alice showed him the way to vegitarianism, but i think that the guilt and depression formed because of his upbringing plays a part in his reasons for staying on the wagon.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
opulent
Learning to Love Green

Post by opulent »

eclipse my heart wrote:Going on about what debussygirl said...

I wouldn't be surprised if Jasper's reason for staying with the Cullens WAS 95% based on Alice's influence. But I don't think that means he doesn't love and/or care about them. I guess that's why his character is the one that I feel the most sympathy for? Because he's suffering through something that he wouldn't have chosen for himself, just because he loves Alice so much.

Gonna jump in here. . .
To me, I think Jasper definitely would never have thought of living this life on his own. Not with the background he had. However, I also think that he did truly want to be a part of this family and their lifestyle. He felt guilty when he "cheated", when he couldn't control himself. And look at the way he reacted around Post-Bella and her super self control. He couldn't stand it that he still didn't have complete control of himself while Bella did.
Now I agree with Edward, that if Jasper had the same focus and attitude as Bella, that he probably could have achieved the same result. Still, even then, I think that Jasper did want to be more a part of the family than he is. If he didn't feel guilty about cheating, his attitude most likely would have been more similar to Laurent's. He would have hid his darker side from his family like Laurent did from Irina and the Denali branch. But Jasper didn't hide that side of himself.
It would be interesting to have a book about Jasper's life, to know more of his thoughts, and maybe even Alice's.
"Plus que ma propre vie."
EandB
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EandB »

I think there should be a series about Jasper and Alice' relationship.I'd but it .
Landiana
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i agree that Jasper would have never have thought of the solution to his depression about feeding off humans on his own, but i don't think that just because Alice showed him the way doesn't mean that he is any less commited. i think that he is one of the most commited, because he has to fight against so much more, against so many more years of unrestrained feeding.
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I agree with Landiana, particularly because of the emtional relief Jasper felt when he was no longer preying on humans. He told Bella that even after he left Maria in Mexico his depression after hunting remained because he could feel what his victims were feeling. It was emotionally draining for him. I don't know whether Jasper ever slipped up after joining Carlisle's family, but I think he was just as committed as the others . . . just more prone to slip up.

So, why do you think the temptation to indulge in forbidden food is stronger in some people? . . . by extension, for Jasper? Why was it so hard for him? I don't think the length of time he'd been "abstaining" is the total answer.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

It's Major Peter Whitlinson here, from Jasper's Confederate Army!
We're looking for more recruits to join our army!
To join, simply go to In the Twilight Zone and find our thread, Jasper's Confederate Army, Third Rank!
All of us majors are looking for new recruits, so don't hesitate to join!
~Major Peter Whitlinson, of Jasper's Confederate Army
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
Landiana

Post by Landiana »

Esme echo wrote: So, why do you think the temptation to indulge in forbidden food is stronger in some people? . . . by extension, for Jasper? Why was it so hard for him? I don't think the length of time he'd been "abstaining" is the total answer.
i think some of the fact is his past. after a lifetime of glutony he is being forced the abstain completely. its not as if he is just cutting back on the 'forbidden food', it is a total withdraw. i do think that the time he has been abstaining is a factor, but some of it could be a matter of will power. Jasper thinks that it should be hard, so it is.
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward