General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: True Love? Reality or Myth

Post by Angelvamp »

Well said, Asheleyo! Couldn't agree more.

This makes me think that you have to know yourself before you can know true love. For example, Rosalie says that Emmett is everything she would have asked for if she knew herself well enough to know what to ask for. She was lucky that her initial desire to save Emmett turned out so well and she found her true love. IMO, you have to know yourself well enough to recognize your other half. Does that make sense?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
anisah loves vamps
Settled in Forks

Post by anisah loves vamps »

what is true love..some ppl can argue on just that..i think true love is out there but it just has to be shearched for and developed..of as much ttime is need from the two..i think its possible to have more than 1 soul mate ..they just come at diffrent times or the same...bella say i think jacob is her soul mate but edward is her other half..this is one of the favorite umm i guess themes/quotes( dont know what to call it) because i 99.9% believe..i say 99.9% because ie never been IN love with anyone

and wut is pm???
im new on this site so bare with me the forums kinda confuse me
Vampire Lover since 2002
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

PM is Private Message. If you want to send a private message to someone posting, you can. Good for when you want to share something that may be construed as a sensitive issue, among other things. :)
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

How about the concept of Courtly love vs True Love...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

The Dark Knight wrote:How about the concept of Courtly love vs True Love...
I've seen some of your posts address this, but I'm not quite sure what "courtly love" is. Can you explain please?
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Angelvamp wrote:
I've seen some of your posts address this, but I'm not quite sure what "courtly love" is. Can you explain please?
Glad too, it's the concept of plutonic love, Like loving someone that may never no it... it has a bit of reverence in it...mostly seen see where one of the parties is unattainable like married or out of social class but still loved anyway...Think Romeo before the window scene or Lancelot before Gwenivar is tricked to see him in private... does this help or would you like more clarification?

gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

I kinda have mixed feelings on this one. It depends on how you define love I guess. If you would define love as a deep sense of affection that is felt toward something or someone then maybe I could see where Courtly love would come into play. However, this definition has to extend to more than just people. For instance, some people do their jobs because they "love" their jobs or play sports because they "love" the sport. So in that respect, I don't really think the two are comparable because I believe love is an emotion that is shared between two people, which is where true love comes into play I think. Also while I'm at it, I'm not really sure I believe in Courtly love because I personally don't think it's possible to love someone without getting to know them personally (and with the other person being aware of it lol). I think courtly love is just an expanded attraction (borderline obsession), almost like a fantasy because it is someone being attracted to someone without them knowing if going by the definition you had earlier. HOWEVER, I do know that courtly love is often applied to everything from the initial attraction to meeting each other, spending time in secret, etc. So in that regard, I believe that courtly love could lead to true love but only because the people are getting to know each other. SO to end that rant lol, I guess that it all depends on how you look at things because I believe the two can be very similar or completely different and sorry it took me this long of a post to realize that I haven't really made a point, just took up space :D
ImageImageImageImage
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

Thanks for that explaination, Dark Knight. Should have known - coffee, coffee, coffee. :D

So, now that the concepts are clear, what concepts did you want to discuss? To me, they are radically different. Although, I think courtly love can turn into true love, like gamb1t says. It happened for Edward. I wouldn't put Jacob in that catagory though. Maybe it's just because I don't view Jacob as very "courtly". :lol:
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

gamb1t wrote:I'm not really sure I believe in Courtly love because I personally don't think it's possible to love someone without getting to know them personally (and with the other person being aware of it lol).
You don't think it can be love unless the other person knows about it? Sorry, but that's a bit silly. You can be someone's best friend or just close confidant and love them. If the other person is either unobservant or occupied by their own love, then it's entirely possible they don't see it. But that doesn't lessen the friend's love at all. That's like saying that Edward couldn't love Bella until he had confessed to her his feelings. But how could that happen if his feelings weren't real till he told her? It's a bit of a paradox....
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Asheleyo wrote:
gamb1t wrote:I'm not really sure I believe in Courtly love because I personally don't think it's possible to love someone without getting to know them personally (and with the other person being aware of it lol).
You don't think it can be love unless the other person knows about it? Sorry, but that's a bit silly. You can be someone's best friend or just close confidant and love them. If the other person is either unobservant or occupied by their own love, then it's entirely possible they don't see it. But that doesn't lessen the friend's love at all. That's like saying that Edward couldn't love Bella until he had confessed to her his feelings. But how could that happen if his feelings weren't real till he told her? It's a bit of a paradox....
the example is Edward is True love while Jacob is courtly love...