Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by Esme echo »

Asheleyo wrote:But father stuff...yeah. I think it's significantly easier for Edward (and Bella) being parents because they get to start off right away with a fully aware child. No development necessary to communicate effectively. If all parents got to start with that I think we'd have a lot more "good parents." So yes, I think he'll be a good father, but I think he'll drift more into a capacity of peer than parent because of Nessie's nature. (Rosalie will be the aunt that unconditionally spoils her niece)
A truism of life is that we love best those whom we serve most. One of the most bonding experiences parents have is waiting on their infants "hand and foot" for years before they are able to take care of themselves. But Nessie was reading Tennyson at 3 months old! I think it was a disadvantage to Edward and Bella to be--essentially--cheated of those years of caring for their daughter as an infant. It's clear in BD, however, that Nessie and her parents were strongly bonded; maybe protecting her from the Volturi was an adequate substitution for caring for her as an infant!

Edward was in a severe emotional maelstrom from the time he learned Bella was pregnant till she woke up -- transformed and happy. For a month he watched the woman he loved--who gave meaning to his very existence--slowly, torturously die
. . . torn apart from the inside--because of him. He was "the burning man," sunk deep in despair.

It wasn't until the very day Bella died that Edward "heard" Renesmee. He had only hours to get used to the idea--the possibility--that he was the father of an actual child, not just a monster. And then, after her birth--before he even had a chance to really look at his gorgeous and amazing daughter--Jacob had laid an irrrevocable claim to her. All of the agony, fear, and pain he and Bella had endured that horrible month had resulted in a daughter that belonged more completely to Jacob than to them! Of course he was irritated! Of course he wanted time to become acquainted with his daughter before he had to give her up to another! Of course he was irritated that of all people, his rival for Bella's love was the man who now claimed his daughter! I'm sure, as a man, Edward wished Jacob had never come back from the wilds of Canada.

In spite of all this, I think Edward behaved admirably. He recognized that Jacob was helpless to control his compulsion to love Renesmee and he gave him as much leeway as he could. But he didn't have to like it.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

Still, as situations go, Edward should be the calmest father when it comes to worrying about his daughter's happiness with another man. No father could ask for more devotion that an imprinted wolf will show to his loved one. I don't see why, with time, he shouldn't like that idea. And I do think, by the end of the whole Volturi invasion thing, both Bella and Edward had at least started to grasp that. Certainly Bella had, since she was counting on that love to keep Nessie alive when she thought she and Jacob would be on the run. I think Edward is a little slower to accept it because he didn't have that idea of his daughter living on if they failed, and living on with Jacob, who would keep her happy as best he could because that was the true desire of his heart.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Asheleyo wrote:I think Edward is a little slower to accept it because he didn't have that idea of his daughter living on if they failed, and living on with Jacob, who would keep her happy as best he could because that was the true desire of his heart.
Very good point, Asheleyo. I hadn't thought about the despair Edward might have felt, thinking he was losing both Bella and Renesmee to the Volturi. Edward had a difficult time looking at things from an optimistic viewpoint; he was naturally pessimistic. Their future seemed pretty bleak to him. I can only imagine the amazement he felt when Bella's gift was able to protect them all from Jane and Alec. It must have been the first ray of hope he'd felt since he learned of the invasion.

Oh! I so want more "happy time" with Edward and his family!
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Esme echo wrote: A truism of life is that we love best those whom we serve most. One of the most bonding experiences parents have is waiting on their infants "hand and foot" for years before they are able to take care of themselves. But Nessie was reading Tennyson at 3 months old! I think it was a disadvantage to Edward and Bella to be--essentially--cheated of those years of caring for their daughter as an infant. It's clear in BD, however, that Nessie and her parents were strongly bonded; maybe protecting her from the Volturi was an adequate substitution for caring for her as an infant!

Edward was in a severe emotional maelstrom from the time he learned Bella was pregnant till she woke up -- transformed and happy. For a month he watched the woman he loved--who gave meaning to his very existence--slowly, torturously die
. . . torn apart from the inside--because of him. He was "the burning man," sunk deep in despair.

It wasn't until the very day Bella died that Edward "heard" Renesmee. He had only hours to get used to the idea--the possibility--that he was the father of an actual child, not just a monster. And then, after her birth--before he even had a chance to really look at his gorgeous and amazing daughter--Jacob had laid an irrrevocable claim to her. All of the agony, fear, and pain he and Bella had endured that horrible month had resulted in a daughter that belonged more completely to Jacob than to them! Of course he was irritated! Of course he wanted time to become acquainted with his daughter before he had to give her up to another! Of course he was irritated that of all people, his rival for Bella's love was the man who now claimed his daughter! I'm sure, as a man, Edward wished Jacob had never come back from the wilds of Canada.

In spite of all this, I think Edward behaved admirably. He recognized that Jacob was helpless to control his compulsion to love Renesmee and he gave him as much leeway as he could. But he didn't have to like it.
I could not agree with you more. You wrote what I have always thought when reading BD.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

.....I am glad the changes to this topic and Edward is do great. Also it must be to the liking of people who did not appreciate some and what they had to contribute.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

*knocks on thread door*

Hellllloooooooo??? Helloooo?

Wow. Things are sooooo quiet here. It seems all of the character forums have lost a head of steam. My apologies for my extended absence, but things were getting a little too....confrontational.... around here and I needed a bit of a break. I do miss debating and discussing Edward with all of you who posted regularly, who challenged and engaged everyone's thoughts. I do so hope that, as the release of the second movie approaches, some of you might come back for our good old fashioned chats about Edward Anthony Masen Cullen. Love him or loathe him or somewhere in between, he is such a fascinating man.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Sometimes a break can be good. But now that you are back, Jazz Girl, is there anything regarding our lovely Edward that you would like to discuss? Maybe if you have a topic, we might get busy with discussions again! :D
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I don't think Edward is given enough credit for
1) committing to a lifetime of "vegetarianism,"
2) always putting Bella's welfare before his own, and
3) overcoming his "frozen" state -- growing emotionally, even though vampires don't usually change.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Esme echo wrote:I don't think Edward is given enough credit for
1) committing to a lifetime of "vegetarianism,"
2) always putting Bella's welfare before his own, and
3) overcoming his "frozen" state -- growing emotionally, even though vampires don't usually change.
I think in some ways, it is more than Bella's welfare that Edward considers, it is almost as if he places himself second to any need, want or desire she could or might have. Especially when considering he wanted to make sure she didn't miss out on any "human" memories, like Prom.

What do you mean by "frozen" state, Esme echo? Would you mind elaborating?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Esme Echo~ I agree completely on all three counts. Edward grew so many ways in the course of the saga. His progress throughout his life with Carlisle was impressive, inspirational even. But, I think, once Bella came into his life, the way he changed, grew, worked to improve and open himself was wonderful.

Una~ Thanks for the welcome back. I have dearly missed these threads. The passion with which we argue these characters just goes to show how deeply they touched us. But, you are right, sometimes some perspective is good. I think you hit the nail on the head, as far as Edward's utter devotion to Bella. I think, maybe, it might be related to his vampiric experience of his emotions. You see the same thing, particularly of Jazz and Alice. They are completely devoted to one another, ready to give anything ANYTHING to ensure the others existence and happiness. In my reading, I always assumed the same to be true of all mated vampires . With Edward, it was always just so much more because of what they had to go through, what he had to go through and do to accomplish that with Bella. It is devotion taken to an entirely different plane.

As for his "frozen state", as I read it, Edward sort of.... shut down emotionally when he came back to Carlisle and Esme, or maybe shortly after. He had stopped hoping and accepted the dull existence that he had, finding the most mundane of things to fill his life. Until Bella "shot across his sky". When she did that, he opened himself to the possibility of what his life could be if he opened his heart to her, changed his assumptions about what his life should be, what he could handle.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS