Re: Bella Swan Cullen #3

Post by Amanda Beth »

moon sidhe you said it perfectly!
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Hey guys!

I hope you don't mind if I alter the subject a bit. I was thinking about Bella's ability today, and how it was able to stop attacks that take place in the mind only. So, she was able to stop Alec's attack during the battle scene in the end, even though his "attack" is described as visible when it rolls over her dome-shield. My question is, doesn't the fact that Alec's power is more physical (as in a kind of gas or something-at least that's how I saw it) and the fact that we can see it mean that the effects of it doesn't just take place in the mind? And thus, shouldn't Bella's shield not have worked against it?

I also wonder about this with the shocking that Kate (I think that's her name) can do? Bella was immune to the electric pulses Kate could create... but that seems obviously physical to me. Not mental at all, since there wasn't really an illusion of pain. Just an actual electric shock. Or am I mistaken about the power Kate has?

I honestly don't know for sure, so I am looking for people to give me facts and/or opinions that will help me understand this situation. Thanks!
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

My first impression is that Bella's shield protected her mind from any outside influence, and when she pushed the shield out to include her entire body, she was able to shield her body from any outside effect as well, i.e. Kate's shock. But that doesn't explain why--before she learned to shield outside her mind--Kate's shock didn't effect her.

Perhaps Kate's talent is similar to Jane's--felt physically, but ultimately mental. Alec's influence distorted the air--like heat waves--but I'm not sure it was a physical gas.

I suspect that if Bella shielded her entire body, Jasper would not be able to alter her moods. What do you think?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

Kate's ability is similar to Jane's ability. Edward says so in BD, and Bella recoils from the idea, then Kate laughs and says she's not sadistic about it like Jane is. So yes, it's in the mind as well.

The way I see Alec's ability being deflected by her shield is because it is something that affects the mind. It takes away all senses, cutting off those parts of the brain. But as both Bella's shield and Alec's ability have to stretch out in space, they do seem to fill in a physical space, but it's still a mental matter in principle.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Heart_in_Hand
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Heart_in_Hand »

Asheleyo wrote:Kate's ability is similar to Jane's ability. Edward says so in BD, and Bella recoils from the idea, then Kate laughs and says she's not sadistic about it like Jane is. So yes, it's in the mind as well.

The way I see Alec's ability being deflected by her shield is because it is something that affects the mind. It takes away all senses, cutting off those parts of the brain. But as both Bella's shield and Alec's ability have to stretch out in space, they do seem to fill in a physical space, but it's still a mental matter in principle.
I see. This makes sense. I suppose the shock thing just seemed more physical, because Kate actually had to touch her victim or at least be touched by them (right?) for the shock to take effect. As for Alec and Bella's talents being the same in that sense, I never thought about it that way. I can see how that might work now! Thanks for explaining it for me! :D
"Don't be afraid. We belong together."

..."Forever."
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

Don't forget, Aro also has to touch someone for his ability to work.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

and Renesmee :)
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

. . . and Renesmee's gift goes right through Bella's shield. I wonder if we'll ever find out if Edward is right and no one can keep Renesmee out if she can touch them?
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

The only way they could really know is if they came across another shield like Bella... Renata is against the physical attack, they'd need someone who defends the mental attack.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Hmm, probably should take this to the Renesmee forum, but this is my last post about her . . . if Renesmee can get through Bella's shield, she could probably get through Renata's too, don't you think? It seems shields are not an issue for her. If you want to continue to discuss this, PM me and we'll take it to her forum. :)