True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Re: True Blood-- Based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries Series

Post by Edward_Addict »

Twilight<3, I'm so glad you're enjoying the first book. I really think the series gets better after the second book, so you have a lot to look forward to. Yes it's true Eric loses his memory in Dead to the World (book 4), but there is soooo much other stuff that happens before then. Just keep reading, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all! 8-)

Kim, I ♥ you. You already know that. :D

Roseaurora, the only reason I pointed out the title of this thread is because Dxplora07 tried saying that this thread was exclusively for fans of the show, when Nena clearly specified when she created this thread that it is for discussion of the books as well as the show.

In reiterating the thread title, I wasn't trying to imply anything about how the show should be exactly like the books. Obviously that is impossible with any TV show or movie based on a book series. And I enjoy a few of the changes that were made on the show, namely the Hoyt/Jessica relationship which added another dimension outside of just Sookie without taking away from the main story. But I feel like a majority of things were unnecessary changes that just made the story into something else completely different. Why even base the show on books if you're going to change so many things? It would have been better for Alan Ball to just come up with his own original series, which he's basically doing.

Comparing the show to the books, I honestly don't see better development of the characters on the show like some of you claim. I see people who are basically entirely different characters than those described in the books. Not better developed, just totally different. Not the same personality traits or characteristics or anything.

I know there are a few inconsistencies in the series, and I've also seen interviews where Charlaine Harris acknowledged it. But for me these inconsistencies are pretty minor and don't detract from the overall story. And I don't see them as being so blatant or significant that they could be categorized as poor character development. And they definitely don't make me enjoy the books any less.
Image Image
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

So I finished the first book two days ago and I liked it... It was a good read, fast paced, and interesting. However, I could not stand Sookie. She's 25 but I felt like she was younger than me in the book and I haven't even hit twenty yet. That was the major part that bothered me. Comparing the book to the show, although I haven't seen all of first season (I've only seen about two episodes), I definitely like that part when Sookie and Eric first meet better in the book. The show version was just.. okay. Eric seemed to be much more interested in Sookie in the novel than he did in the show. I ordered the box set of the first seven books so I can't wait to read them. I especially can't wait until Eric and Sookie end up together!
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

Twilight<3 wrote:So I finished the first book two days ago and I liked it... It was a good read, fast paced, and interesting. However, I could not stand Sookie. She's 25 but I felt like she was younger than me in the book and I haven't even hit twenty yet. That was the major part that bothered me. Comparing the book to the show, although I haven't seen all of first season (I've only seen about two episodes), I definitely like that part when Sookie and Eric first meet better in the book. The show version was just.. okay. Eric seemed to be much more interested in Sookie in the novel than he did in the show. I ordered the box set of the first seven books so I can't wait to read them. I especially can't wait until Eric and Sookie end up together!
Oh you will love them! Sookie grows on you in the book.. I just cant seem to stop seeing Anna Paquin while reading them.. UGH!
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

I read the first book this summer, and it was ok but I wasn't really hooked. I have the second book aswell but don't really feel the extreme desire to read it. A good friend of mine loved the books though, so I defenitly should read them.

I think I had a bit of a problem with Sookie aswell.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

I really just think it's natural to have moments when you can't stand a character, especially the one who is narrating the book. There are times that Sookie does things that REALLY bother me and I wish I could shake some sense into her.
But for me it's the same way with Twilight. I love the series but I get so annoyed and honestly can't stand Bella during a lot of the saga.

Twilight<3, I highly recommend you keep reading. The first book is good but it's definitely NOT the best one in the series, in my opinion. Things get better as the series goes on. And the relationship between Sookie and Eric is one of my biggest problems with the show. It is NOTHING like it is in the books, and I hate that they changed it so much. I love the constant connection and flirtation they have throughout all of the books. And just wait until you read book 4 - Dead to the World. I love it so much.

Lieziewiezie, I love the book series as a whole, but for me things really started getting interesting during the third book - Club Dead. After that, I was seriously hooked. The 4th book (Dead to the World) and 9th book (Dead and Gone) are definitely my favorites.
Image Image
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

I finished the third book today and started the fourth book, which I am SO pumped for! I really like the series so far but the more I read, the more I see the parallels between Twilight and the Sookie Stackhouse novels. It really looks like Stephenie Meyer ripped off Charlaine Harris, however Twilight is like a melting pot of several different books. I just don't normally read vampire novels so I don't pick up on it as easily.

So Sookie can read minds and she finds a man who's mind she can't read and falls in love with him. I didn't remember until yesterday that Edward could read minds (I can't stand the Twilight saga, haven't read them in ages, so I have forgotten a lot). Sookie was kind of an outcast with very little friends but she enters into a new world where people are head over heels for her. This is exactly like Bella and moving to Forks.. Or the whole love triangle with Eric, Bill, and Sookie is so similar to Jacob, Edward, and Bella. Sookie is very strong and brave, she will do anything for those she loves and strives to keep people out of harms way. Isn't that the exact description of Bella..? Bill is well-mannered, romantic, and will do anything to keep Sookie safe. Eric is persistant and cocky. The parallels are ridiculous. Twilight is for kids and True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse novels are for adults. True Blood/Sookie Stackhouse for the win!

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, I can actually talk about the book! I really liked the second book and although season two was soo different from it, I thought the changes made the show much better. It would have been a really boring season if they didn't add all of it and I liked how they portrayed the maenad. However, I wish they would have kept the orgy in show. Eric and Sookie's relationship is so sexy and Eric is already the star of the show so fans would have loved to see that. Also, I wish they would have actually kissed in the show, not just in a dream. I like their relationship much better in the books than in the novel. I really hope their relationship heats up in the how next season.

I'm going to go read Dead to the Word now. Eric is about to show up without his memory in about three pages and I can't wait. :)
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

So im joining this thread half way through...

I loved the first episode that was shown in the UK last Wednesday and cannot wait for the next one.

I didnt realise it was based on a series of books - will have to look in my local library for the first one and have a read.

Looks like an exciting series and I love the tension and mystery thats already building up between Sookie and Bill (made me laugh when he said his name was Bill - not the sort of name you would think he had haha).
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I saw the 2nd episode last night and they kissed. Just wish I could watch more than 1 episode at a time as want to know what is going to happen and because I really like the story so far...
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Addicted
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Addicted »

Hey Everyone. :D
I didn't have time to go back & read the thread so sorry if ya'll have already talked about this. Is anyone planning to attend EyeCon?
I have been for their Twilight ones & had a BLAST!!!! Curious if anyone from The Lex was planning to go.
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

All right, I finished the fourth book the other day. I have mixed feelings about it because although I absolutely love Eric and Sookie together, it wasn't the same with Eric's memory loss. However, the book and their relationship was really sexy. I hope we will see more of that but with Eric in his regular state. Like in Club Dead, that was perfectly delicious. 

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]