Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Re: New Moon Trailer

Post by gamb1t »

Dang, we're getting really close aren't we :)

BTW, extended wolf scene here:
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/340712/ ... _moon.html
ImageImageImageImage
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Those with iTunes can download a video podcast of NM. They currently have a new sneak peek that I haven't seen before.

Recall one of the earliest peeks we got of NM, where we see Jacob phasing as he jumps over Bella? The sneak peek is what happens immediately before that.

I do have a problem with the scene, though.

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS!

Seriously, guys? She hits him and doesn't even get hurt? :roll:
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

^^^ Wow good point!!!!!!! I didn't even think of that! I wonder what will happen in Eclipse then...
That clip is all over the place but iTunes is definitely the best version. Alex has been tweeting about it for a week. I think it was released to promote the revamped Twilight section of iTunes.
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

Guys, we need to be aware that not every plot point from the books will be in the film. Also consider Bella's mixture of shock and adrenaline. If she is injured, I'm sure that she became more focused on running after all of those emotions set in. Furthermore, we're making the assumption that the scene with Jacob will be precisely the same in Eclipse.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

swedishskinjer wrote:Guys, we need to be aware that not every plot point from the books will be in the film. Also consider Bella's mixture of shock and adrenaline. If she is injured, I'm sure that she became more focused on running after all of those emotions set in. Furthermore, we're making the assumption that the scene with Jacob will be precisely the same in Eclipse.
Oh, I've accepted that the movies will not play out like the novels. The Twilight film was borked enough that they're practically required to deviate from the novels. But this isn't even a plot point. It's a detail. A normal human should not be able to hit a werewolf with no adverse effect- adrenaline or no. Besides, the shock/adrenaline wouldn't have spiked until after seeing the phase. She hit before that happened.

And because I'm confused, what scene in Eclipse are you talking about? This clip is for New Moon.
swedishskinjer

Post by swedishskinjer »

ringswraith wrote:
swedishskinjer wrote:Guys, we need to be aware that not every plot point from the books will be in the film. Also consider Bella's mixture of shock and adrenaline. If she is injured, I'm sure that she became more focused on running after all of those emotions set in. Furthermore, we're making the assumption that the scene with Jacob will be precisely the same in Eclipse.
Oh, I've accepted that the movies will not play out like the novels. The Twilight film was borked enough that they're practically required to deviate from the novels. But this isn't even a plot point. It's a detail. A normal human should not be able to hit a werewolf with no adverse effect- adrenaline or no. Besides, the shock/adrenaline wouldn't have spiked until after seeing the phase. She hit before that happened.

And because I'm confused, what scene in Eclipse are you talking about? This clip is for New Moon.
I don't see how the Twilight movie was dramatically different from the novel. For an adaptation, I think that it retained the spirit of the book. Sadly, they *did* have to reduce the length of certain scenes, which is understandable. What works in a book may not necessarily translate well into a movie with budget considerations, a certain running time, etc. It distilled the book into a movie that focused on the beginning of the relationship between Edward and Bella without being bogged down by certain details. I will admit that SM does tend to bog the pacing of certain books down with irrelevant details. Whereas her imagination is boundless, a movie does have a budget and strict time limits.

Within the Twilight universe, not being able to hit a wolf in his human form without sustaining an injury is a plot point that's repeatedly brought up, as opposed to being a random detail. I think that omitting this detail about their skin -- unintentional or no -- is forgivable. After all, Paul had no apparent injuries from the impact. As for Eclipse, I was referencing the scene in which Bella breaks her hand after punching Jacob.
swedishskinjer

Post by swedishskinjer »

Also, does this snark-filled article piss anyone else off?

http://www.movieline.com/2009/10/nine-w ... php?page=1

Geez, does this person know anything about the werewolves in Twilight?
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

swedishskinjer wrote:I don't see how the Twilight movie was dramatically different from the novel. For an adaptation, I think that it retained the spirit of the book. Sadly, they *did* have to reduce the length of certain scenes, which is understandable. What works in a book may not necessarily translate well into a movie with budget considerations, a certain running time, etc. It distilled the book into a movie that focused on the beginning of the relationship between Edward and Bella without being bogged down by certain details. I will admit that SM does tend to bog the pacing of certain books down with irrelevant details. Whereas her imagination is boundless, a movie does have a budget and strict time limits.
Again, I'm not complaining about that. It's a given that a movie will never live up to the book it's adapted from. But I heartily disagree with your comment that it "distills" the book. So much stuff was changed that I can't say it was a distillation. Things were outright altered, and in my opinion not for the good.
swedishskinjer wrote:Within the Twilight universe, not being able to hit a wolf in his human form without sustaining an injury is a plot point that's repeatedly brought up, as opposed to being a random detail. I think that omitting this detail about their skin -- unintentional or no -- is forgivable. After all, Paul had no apparent injuries from the impact. As for Eclipse, I was referencing the scene in which Bella breaks her hand after punching Jacob.
And this is one point that I'm not really happy about. I'm not talking about Paul being hurt. I'm talking about Bella being hurt. Recall that she is portrayed as clumsy, prone to accidents and injury, especially vulnerable, and cuts her finger opening a birthday present at the beginning of this film. She should not be able to hit a werewolf in any form without injuring herself.

And if they portray the whole "Bella punches Jacob" scene in the Eclipse movie, then this scene will just look all the worse to me.
swedishskinjer

Post by swedishskinjer »

ringswraith wrote:
swedishskinjer wrote:I don't see how the Twilight movie was dramatically different from the novel. For an adaptation, I think that it retained the spirit of the book. Sadly, they *did* have to reduce the length of certain scenes, which is understandable. What works in a book may not necessarily translate well into a movie with budget considerations, a certain running time, etc. It distilled the book into a movie that focused on the beginning of the relationship between Edward and Bella without being bogged down by certain details. I will admit that SM does tend to bog the pacing of certain books down with irrelevant details. Whereas her imagination is boundless, a movie does have a budget and strict time limits.
Again, I'm not complaining about that. It's a given that a movie will never live up to the book it's adapted from. But I heartily disagree with your comment that it "distills" the book. So much stuff was changed that I can't say it was a distillation. Things were outright altered, and in my opinion not for the good.
swedishskinjer wrote:Within the Twilight universe, not being able to hit a wolf in his human form without sustaining an injury is a plot point that's repeatedly brought up, as opposed to being a random detail. I think that omitting this detail about their skin -- unintentional or no -- is forgivable. After all, Paul had no apparent injuries from the impact. As for Eclipse, I was referencing the scene in which Bella breaks her hand after punching Jacob.
And this is one point that I'm not really happy about. I'm not talking about Paul being hurt. I'm talking about Bella being hurt. Recall that she is portrayed as clumsy, prone to accidents and injury, especially vulnerable, and cuts her finger opening a birthday present at the beginning of this film. She should not be able to hit a werewolf in any form without injuring herself.

And if they portray the whole "Bella punches Jacob" scene in the Eclipse movie, then this scene will just look all the worse to me.
In my opinion, the movie was reasonably faithful to the spirit of the material, so we must agree to disagree. Thankfully, the movie also cut down on Bella's fawning descriptions of Edward's physical perfection and other such qualities. In fact, most reviews commented on how faithful the movie was to the novel as an adaptation that had to remain around two hours. Stephenie Meyer agreed with the final script and its changes, and she could have been their greatest critic. In the end, they adapted all of the major events in the book without being bogged down by less relevant scenes.

*shrug*

Let's see how it works out in the final movie. For all we know, Bella's hand could be injured after the incident. I won't be terribly worried if it isn't, considering that the rest of the scene was pitch-perfect.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

For me in Eclipse, one of my favorite scenes was Jake forcing the kiss on Bella and her punching him and it being a joke between him and Charlie-- and that turns into him and Edward talking outside her house-- and then one of my all time favorite lines "I punched a werewolf"

Of course who knows, maybe after the scene they've showed us in New Moon she did hurt her hand and we can all hang out heads in shame for second guessing CW.