General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
iemand
Settled in Forks

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by iemand »

hmmm... does each cell really produce venom? I read that in the end even a small amount op venom would change a person. I was wondering, the vampires venom does noet doe any real damage, it just changes (and actually heals) so would a person technically be able to function while changing, seeing as the pain is more likely a direct result of the poison on the nerves instead of a (natural) response to damage in the body.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Well the pain has been described in all instances as excruciating, so functioning normally would not be an option.

Even Carlisle just barely managed to hide himself in a pile of potatoes, leaving Edward to wonder how he was never discovered.
iemand
Settled in Forks

Post by iemand »

I am asking if it is physically possible to function as in, would someone immune to pain be able to act like nothing is going on or would that person be limited in his movements due to the venom... that is before the venom 'heals' whatever is causing said immunity
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

While the pain is a big factor, it's possible that it's not the only factor.

From Alice's explanation to Bella in Twilight, the venom is designed to incapacitate. The pain could be just one of however many things meant to keep you helpless and/or immobile.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Well, this is sort of related, but how do you think that Renesmee, being immortal and all(but part human) would react to having drugs pumped into her system. Like if she's given a poweriful pain killer and she's accidentally given the wrong dose(too much). I know that she won't die, but do you think that she'll be sick or out of it until it wears off, like the back story for the Pink Floyd song "Comfortably Numb", where Roger Waters was given a morphine injection due to stomach cramps caused by hepatitis before a show in Philadelphia in 1977. Just how bad does one think that such a thing will mess Nessie up?

And while I'm at it, could Renesmee get sick, period?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

How do we know she won't die? She is not a vampire, she's not totally immune to her physical world. Unfortunately, it wasn't esablished how suseptible she is to the dangers of the world. A better question would be could a needle even pierce her skin? And, by extension, how permeable is her skin in the first place? I personally don't think she can get sick with conventional viruses (such as influenza, unlike myself *cough*).

As far as having a microbe of venom in the bloodstream, I think it is probably possible for the white cells to take care of. Really, people don't die from rattlesnake bites years after they are bitten. Not only that, little parts of venom injected into the body have seen positive results. Case in point, Botox. This originated from the deadly box jellyfish, but is now used commonly as a beauty product. Doesn't make sense, Unless vampires ARE magical. Then all bets are off and this whole thread is moot.

One thing I have been wondering, though. If it is possible to have a microbe of venom in the bloodstream change a person over time and that it is possible for a vampire to impregnate a human, then wouldn't Bella have been writhering in agony long before? What I mean is, the venom would have penetrated into her bloodstream through her mucous membranes, much the same as an STD or another disease would. Through sex with a vampire. Right?
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

We "know" she won't die because of Nahuel, who's still around after (what is it- a hundred years or so?) all this time. Per his example, Renesmee's going to "mature" to a certain physical age and stop there.

As far as the venom question (re: sex), I'm just guessing that the venom used there isn't the same transformative kind that the venom in the bite is. Pure speculation, of course.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

Well, we DON'T KNOW that she wouldn't die. do we? Was Nahuel pumped full of drugs to test this theory? Yes, true. Pure specutation! I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna let this chick (aka SM) get away with leaving everyone high and dry. She has LITERALLY MILLIONS of fans, she owes them more than this. Venom is venom, and it has to be all the way or nothing. Come on now! The deadliest venom in the world injected into a female area would be *uM* painful at the least. There should be no varying degrees of venom.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

But as mentioned, can Nessie even be pumped full of drugs? I'd bet that if a human bit her skin, it'd be like biting a car tire(he skin does seem to give to the touch, but doesn't seem to be penetrated).

And we must remember one thing-Renesmee drinks blood, as do all vampires. I know that she drinks animal blood and bags of human blood, but that doesn't mean that the said blood can't be diseased. And vampires that drink human blood don't seem to get sick-they don't seem to be afraid of catching any disease be it the common cold or HIV/AIDS.

That being said, Rensemee is also half human, and it's been said that she has the best of both vampires and humans, but what weaknesses could she have, aside from being marginally weaker/slower than a full fledged vampire? But it's been said that she's immortal-Nauel is over 150 years old, and I don't believe that no normal human can live that long. But that's what is great about fiction-anything is possible in that relm, and who knows about Nessie? I believe based on reading Breaking Dawn, Renesmee is more than likely as immortal as a vampire, but we'll probably won't know her true future at least until the Twilight Offical Guide get's published in the coming months.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I don't know how Nessie's skin could be successfully punctured in such a way as to introduce drugs to her. She seems to be similar to the wolves, and they heal too quickly for much damage to be done by drugs. Perhaps with a dart gun, some might be introduced, but the dart could easily bounce off as well. Ingestion would be a more likely route for a drug to enter her body, but again, if it heals quickly, it wouldn't do much. However, Jacob did react to the massive amounts of morphine that Carlisle gave him, albeit only for a short while. If your question is wether or not Nessie could be drugged, the answer is probably yes, but it would be difficult to deliver the drugs and make them work long enough to do anything.

As to disease, most bacterium and especially viruses cannot easily leap between species. I think that Nessie's genetic makeup is so different from human and animal genes that very few germs would find her a good host.

Vampires are made of hard crystalline cell type structures that are impervious to most anything around. AIDS or any other disease would not stand a chance.

As to the venom in the female areas, yeah, I wondered about that as well. I honestly thought she might change due to the ripping that occurs naturally during first intercourse. What a horrid way to change that would have been! :shock: :oops: