Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread

twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

Jazz Girl wrote:
older_twilight_fan wrote:I see very little sleep in my upcoming future...thanks to you guys. :D I finally started reading Emancipation Proclamation tonight! I had to make myself stop reading after Chapter 7 as we've got an early day tomorrow with school and work. I hope to come close to catching up to some of you in my reading with the weekend almost here.

It's still pretty early in the story and Edward seems like an arrogant jerk, but I'm looking forward to finding out where Esme is and how that may relate to why Edward is the way he is. It's also a little strange to imagine our beloved Carlise involved in the weapons and drug trade and assasinations and other mob activities, but that's precisely why I often enjoy reading "alternate universe" stories just as much as canon stories. I'm very intrigued to see where this story is going to go. ;)

Tracy~ Be prepared to for some curveballs. It's definitely an AU fanfic. Just as an example... ~~possible spoiler~~ Elizabeth is Edward's mother and Esme is Carlisle's sister. That's actually one of the great things about this story. You can see so much of our beloved characters in them, but there are also a few things that make you go... :o :shock: . For me, the best part of the story is watching Edward's evolution from that arrogant jerk into such a sweet sweet man, though still very much with that MobWard edge. Welcome, and feel free to vent or gossip all you want about it. Believe me, you will need friends at certain points *coughPunishmentcough*
Tracy - I had a tough time adjusting to the callousness of Carlisle's character here. It was just so opposite of the Dr. C we know and love. But like any good story, he's got a reason for his behavior ;) . And know that we will be there for you during the 'difficult' *ahem*mentioned above*ahem* parts.
I also sometimes have a hard time envisioning Rob playing Edward in some of the fan-fics, but for me, he is totally Mobward! HAPPY READING!!
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

twilightsagaaddict wrote:
I also sometimes have a hard time envisioning Rob playing Edward in some of the fan-fics, but for me, he is totally Mobward!
Sandy~ Oh HELL TO THE YEAH!!! There are a few FicWards that are sooooo not Rob in my head... DomWard definitely comes to mind. But, MobWard...oh good gods in heaven and on earth save me...Rob is sooooooooooo totally MobWard for me. And, thank you Rob, Khar and sweet baby Jesus for that image and my highly overactive imagination!!!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Jazz Girl wrote:
twilightsagaaddict wrote:
I also sometimes have a hard time envisioning Rob playing Edward in some of the fan-fics, but for me, he is totally Mobward!
Sandy~ Oh HELL TO THE YEAH!!! There are a few FicWards that are sooooo not Rob in my head... DomWard definitely comes to mind. But, MobWard...oh good gods in heaven and on earth save me...Rob is sooooooooooo totally MobWard for me. And, thank you Rob, Khar and sweet baby Jesus for that image and my highly overactive imagination!!!
I do hate it when people start to change the charater... I have read a few where they just create a completely other story and I really don't like it... I just wantto romantoc happy couple... some vampire family members and some dag pets....
I do like to after forks stories....though.....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

Marielle , I used to think just the same way you did, but I completely changed my mind. Wide Awake changed everything for me. The Edwards and Bellas those wonderful authors can create are just amazing and so complex in most stories and just wonderful and beautiful and you can add lots of adjective words here. Fanfic makes the world much better and bearable and for me after Twilight. Of course, it's perfectly ok for you to have your own oppinion, don't misunderstand me, but you should give it a chance I think.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

TEF (The Ex Factor) was the story that opened up the non-canon world to me. It's a good one to start with because I can see Rob/Kristen as the characters AND Angela does SO much with visuals it makes it even easier. To date TEF, Wide Awake and CW&IA are the only ones I've read and liked. I've started others and just couldn't get into them. (This is finished fanfics...I'm not allowing myself to start any that aren't finished yet. CW&IA and soon to be TNF are going to give me enough anxiety)

I, of course, I have a hard time reading any fanfics that take place after Breaking Dawn only because I'm so deeply involved with the world I created in LAF/TPC I can't disassociate with it. Maybe when TPC is done, but doubtful.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I have to say that I can see it both ways. We are having similar discussions about characterization over at Twilighted as well. Fist off, many stories have characters that I just have to ask myself "why?" when I read them. They are so OCC or the story is so unrelated to Twilight, that I don't understand why they write them and post them in the Twilight genre. I absolutely believe that anyone should write anything they want so long as they post it responsibly on a site that is rated for the story. But why post a story using SM's names but Sookie Stackhouse kinds of vamps and story line? Go post it there with the original names. It makes little sense to me.

I have some AH that I LOVE! However, many of the AH stories try to blend some characteristics of SM's characters with their own version and it simply doesn't work well. Just my opinion, of course, but the one area that I have the most trouble with in almost all forms of fanfiction is poor characterization.

Any other thoughts?
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Good for you, Tracy! Enjoy this awsome story. It will take your sleep away. It's midnight around here now, and I am planning on reading for a few hours yet...
Edward does come across as an arrogant jerk. But he is also so sweet and gentle and caring, that he just makes me melt. And when he starts speaking Italian... He can dazzle you with his words. And the background stories of both of these characters are just amazing.

Sandy~ I agree with you about Carlisle. It's hard to read this type if Carlisle character, because it so very OOC at first sight. But my heart also goes out to him, because he is clearly a very broken man who sees himself as a failure. And he does have compassion in his heart, I think.

openhome~ I really haven't read any bad stories. I just read the one's that are recommended here, and you're all excellent in choosing fanfics. But of course there are characters that I relate to more than others. I think Angela has excellent characterizations, and so does AG. EP is fantastic too, and even though it is far removed from the Twilight universe, I still see traits that are very Twilightish. What matters most to me, is that they make characters that are believeable and relateable, and that you grow attached to them. It is not enough to just call them Edward and Bella. So I really admire those who manage to write good Twilight based fanfiction, because that is hard work.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Okay...so, i'm not really sure I'll be able to stick with a fic where Carlisle is Esme's brother, or where he is a mobster dealing in illegal stuff. Yes, WA, CW&IA...they have slight twists to their characterization, but it's still close enough to the canon characters that I don't feel like I'm "cheating" on them. :? If that makes any sense at all!

Also, I've decided I'm not starting any thing new until CW&IA, TPC, and The Training are complete. I also need to focus on finishing my fic, Perfect Forever. It's down to the last four chapters, and when I'm reading other ffics, it takes my mind and time away from my story.

Weekend is off to a great start...nephew spent the afternoon in ER. Severe dehydration after a football workout this afternoon! He's home and doing good now. I have my first body pump class in the morning. If I can still move when I get home, i'll be writing the rest of the day.

Have a great weekend, Ya'll!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I know what you mean. I finally posted the latest chapter of Coalescence, but I was so busy beta-ing other works and reading other people's stuff that I had to stop to focus on writing. I also had some rather major issues to deal with at home, but still, getting sucked in to reading didn't help much.

For those of you who follow such things:
I have a new story up called Resolution. It is my first AH one-shot (I know, hypocritical, but I wanted to see what the draw to AH was as a writer) and it was written for the Mystic Award Sites Non-Lemon Dare. Anyway, I made it to the voting round! The link to the story is here.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Shauni, you are so right about making lfe more bearable after twilight...
I love all the different side stories....
it's like running through my head constantly.....

missp, have a lot of fun in the body pump class... I know it's a heavy class.
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house