General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Crimson Fury
Settled in Forks

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by Crimson Fury »

Yes, I've been harassed by a lot of people for liking Twilight, and it annoys me when some people start labeling anyone who even mildly likes the series "obsessed". I don't mind if someone just doesn't like the books, but constantly attacking the people who do is taking it to the extreme. :?

My family and friends love the series as much as I do though, and we enjoy discussing it together.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

Okay so in sixth form I have a few mates who have borrowed my copy of Twilight, read it and loved it them went out and bought the whole Saga for them sleves!
Then I have some that have borrowed Twilight, read it and not liked it... they have said they don not see why it is so popular as it is badly written and not believable... I say let them have their view, I will not change it as everyone is entitled to their own opinion!
But then there are people that haven't read any of the Saga and just hate it! I don't get how they can hate something they haven't even read!! It infuriates me as they just will not listen when I say they shouldn't knock it till they have tried it! They even said they wouold BURN my books!!

So yeah I do get stick for likeing Twilight and I don't mind some of it (from people who have actually bothered to read it)
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dazzledBrit »

I've met a few people recently who've the movies but not read the books and don't get it and I totally understand that. While I think Catherine and Chris did an okay job with both Twilight and New Moon, the movies are no where near as good as the books.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
Knives

Post by Knives »

To answer your question, Suzie, the reason I came to the Lex was to see how the other half lived ^_^ Fan opinions on Twilightsucks.com tend to be upheld by trolls and morons, much to my regret, so I thought I'd seek out the intelligent fans and pick their brains ^_^
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
iemand
Settled in Forks

Post by iemand »

I do understand you, Knives. In my opinion the Twilight saga is great in the realism and personality of the characters and in the backgound story (the twilight world), but the story and writing style are not all that good. For me the first points are very important in a story (especially the world), so I do think the twilight saga is (for me) one of the best series of book ever (just because after you read it you get access to a lot of fanfics of which a lot are better than the books (imo)). other people, who focus more on the story itself will very likely be disappointed by it.

I know some other people who read and liked twilight but not too many. I've never been made fun of for liking twilight.
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

Knives, I see where you are coming from, I wish there were more people like you, the people I know who don't like the series hate me discussing it with people that do if they are in the same room!

I do not mock people for not liking the series they are entitled to their own opinion just like I am entitled to mine. I will not try and convert them... and I wish they would not try and preach to me that I shouldn't like it as the author cannot write a decent book with continuity or vampires don't sparkle ect, as they haven't bothered to read it!!

I respect that you have come on here to pick our brains, and I think that it is noble of you that you will not bad mouth it as we all like it on here (well not all obviously)
Last edited by vampyre_princess on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

I always get teased for my obsession and sometimes I get pretty ticked off at them, if they havn't read the books. Like seriously they hate it and they haven't read it. Or they pretend to be fans when 1.They haven't read the series, 2.They only watch the movies cause of Rob,3.<They only do that because apparently it's the "cool" thing to do and they really no nothing about the series or they do it cause of the cute actors. IT MAKES ME SOOOOOO MAD! Or like I said they havent read the series and hate it for one of these reasons... 1.'Cause "they just do." (which makes me the maddest), 2.They are just trying to be rebellious or 3.They think Rob is *shiver*ugly*shiver*( I mean seriously just LOOK at him!) So yeah I get teased alot for one of the reasons above.^
ImageImageImage
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

It wasn't necessarily teasing I got last night, but someone at a book discussion group (not a Twilight group) mentioned, out of the blue, that she hated Twilight. She is a VERY outspoken person (she didn't know that I was a fan, though) and she said she REALLY didn't like the book because she hated Bella's character. She liked the Cullens, though. We couldn't really discuss it because she is the type of person who has made her mind up and won't be swayed. I like Bella, but I can understand some people thinking that she is a little weak/one dimensional, but to this extreme? Has anyone had a similar criticism of the book?
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Susie wrote: Has anyone had a similar criticism of the book?

HI Susie, I haven't had heard so much criticism but some people found the book boring.WTH? I never understood b/c I couldn't put the books down till I finished the series. I will say that since joining the thread and reading peoples opinions of the characters has opened up my mind a lot. Some people went so deep I felt I only viewed the surface. I don't really care if someone likes it or not b/c no one is going to change my mind. I am a HUGE fan and it will always remain in my personally library to pass down to my daughter.
Banner by TammyAZ
dazzledBrit

Post by dazzledBrit »

There are people on this forum that hate Bella/Edward/Jacob.

Some people just don't get on with characters at all and that puts them off. I've never finished Wuthering Heights and quite a few Austen novels because of that. It's silly, I know.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...