Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Post by Alphie »

Our last chapter here was submitted by Cullengirl! Thanks to everyone who helped us out!

1. Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not?

2. What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book?

3. Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga?

4. Are you satisfied with the happy ending to Bella and Edward’s story? Why or why not?
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 39: The Happily Ever After

Post by Olderthandirt »

1. Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not? Edward evolves due to the love from his child and Bella - Edward has not allowed anyone from the outside world into his until Bella, and since has received friendship from Seth, as an example. I believe the astonishment he feel whens he hears his child, while a fetus - remember Edward originally looks it is a monster - goes a long way in how Edward views himself.

2. What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book? Bella was not a person who frequently checked for bellybutton lint - I just didn't see her as a person who would self analyze.

3. Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga? This was a nice developement of the "shield" - that Bella had the ability and the self assurance to let Edward completely into her life.

4. Are you satisfied with the happy ending to Bella and Edward’s story? Why or why not?
Wow - yes and no. Bella and Edward, yes because it is the logical end to their story. But the end of the Saga was too win-win for me. with many great stories, as well as with life, there is a cost. A break in a relationship - her parents, or with Jacob and the wolfpack (except Seth); a death (I know, I will get bashed for this - that's why i'm not naming names). I do not want my characters to end up being bored like Caius! (lol)
clpviolet
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by clpviolet »

1. Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not?
I that he sees himself better. He saw how Nahuel saw himself, and saw what Nahuel's father is like. He has always known he wanted to be a better person and now he knows without a doubt that he is a better person/vampire.

2. What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book?
I think that Edward will always be suprised and fustrated at how Bella sees herself. Even after knowing how extraordinary she turned out, she is still suprised that anyone would stare at her. I don't think the meaning has changed since he said it in Twilight, it just has more context to it. Because in Edward's eyes Bella was always someone to stare at in awe, now as a vampire everyone will stare at her in awe.

3. Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga?
I think that he had given up on hearing her thoughts. As soon as she became a vampire he tried to hear her thoughts, figuring that now that they're both vampires that, their minds were more alike or similar. I also think that he was suprised that she had progressed that far in training herself with her shield talent.

I really, really, loved it, i just want more. With my life resembling the aftermath of a warzone (simultaneously while reading the saga the first time and still going on)I just loved that feeling that someone could be happy...and as far as more is concerned its like an addiction to wanting to be looking in on their lives.....I want to see more of their happieness over the years, but thats most likely not going to happen so I've dealt with it.
"You put your arms around me and I'm home" Christina Perri - Arms
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Do you think Edward no longer seems himself as the “monster”? Has he resolved his own personal demons like Nahuel? Why or why not? I like to think he doesn't see himself that way anymore. When Bella came into his life he experienced a human emotion, love and all that comes with that. I don't feel like I'm explaining myself well,so there you go.

2. What do you think Edward means when he says “When will you ever see yourself clearly?” to Bella? He has said this before in Twilight. Has the meaning changed between from the first book to the last book? It's because Bella, like most girls sturggle with self esteem and even though she's now a vampire with this cool power she still doesn't think she will be that great. It's still the same as back in Twilight to now.

3. Why does Edward seem so surprised to “hear” Bella from the first time considering they both have participated in the same conflicts from the beginning of the saga? It was all new to him. He got so used to their being silence when he tried to hear what she was thinking. But then to have her learn how to use her shield that way is cool, and it's good for him to get her perspective on things.

4. Are you satisfied with the happy ending to Bella and Edward’s story? Why or why not? Yes and no. I was glad that they had a happy ending, were together, none of the characters I love died, and they had their family. I always hate when I come to the end of a story, because I am greedy & just want more. I'd love to read anything that would happen in the future.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I do think he is finally happy with himself. He can see that Bella is happy to have joined him as a vampire so he can't take it out on himself that she is unhappy. He also gets to watch Nessie grow up and find happiness of her own. He can't take it out on himself that he put Bella through a pregnancy that hurt her, created an unknown creature, and now that he has a child he won't have to worry about her life ending prematurely; none of these things are something he even has to consider anymore. So yes it seems that he has resolved his demons and that would also be thanks to the way Nahuel sees him as a good figure for a father and husband.

Edward wants Bella to see herself as the strong, capable, beautiful woman that he sees her as. In Twilight she didn't think she was physically a good match for Edward and now she is doubtful that she is the heroine of the situation.

He knew Bella could block out things and protect the others minds, but he had no idea she could push her shield away for him to hear her. He probably just got used to the idea that he would never be able to hear her and finally decided to be ok with it so it was a surprise that he would be able to hear her now.

I love the end of this. After everything Bella and Edward have gone through in a short period of time it only seems right that they get their happily ever after!
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I think finally is okay with who/what he is. I think after Bella surviving and seeing that Nessie is not a monster, he isn't as bad as he thought of himself.

I think he asked her that because she doesn't really see the good in herself. Edward can see her good side. I don't know if it's changed or not.

He never thought that he would be able to have that part of her. He was so used to not being able to "hear" her.

Yes I am. It's the way things should go. It didn't come easily for them they had to work their butts off and nearly loose each other to have what they do have.
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Although Edward always seems to think of himself as a "monster" I think this perspective starts to falter on the day he fall in love with Bella. I think no matter how many times he say he is a monster all through out the Twilight Saga books he begins to doubt himself if it is still true. Monster do not have the capacity to love and truly care for others and that is exactly what Edward has been doing all his life after he met Bella. Another proof is during New Moon when Bella save him from showing himself in the sun, he said something along the lines of "heaven". In thinking that Bella is dead he hope they'll meet again in heaven after he dies. But I think Edward finally see who he really is after the birth of Renesmee, after all how can a soulless monster like what he sees his former self can create such a beautiful and perfect miracle.

I think this pertains to Bella never really knowing her true powers whether during the time Edward said this when she was human or during the time she was an immortal. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think when Edward tells Bella this phrase in Twilight, he was pertaining to her beauty. Bella always see herself as a plain, pale and fragile human. A misfit despite most of the boys in Forks were crushing on her, she felt she didn't deserve Edward. In Breaking Dawn Edward said this phrase again to Bella and this time he was referring it to her powers. As an immortal, even though she's indestructible and strong she still did not see herself clearly. Never admitting that she is one if not the sole reason of the Vultori's retreat.

They may experience the same conflict from the beginning of the saga but Edward never really knows what Bella is thinking while all of this is happening. If we could remember in Twilight (or is it Midnight Sun :P) it frustrates Edward that he can not hear what Bella is thinking. Therefore it really must be surprising for Edward to finally hear or know firsthand how Bella must feel specially during the early days of their relationship.

I am satisfied in a sense that all conflicts are resolved, all questions are answered, all the gaps are filled but I'm not satisfied that its already finished. The End. I want more, I'm craving for more...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
misskiley

Post by misskiley »

I think so. He has realized everything worked out so much better now that Bella has turned into a vampire and he is at peace.

Yes,.. before he meant in a personality/physical way,.. but now he it's more in a .. you don't realize how powerful you are.

But it's so different from a different perspective,.. how many times has Edward complained that he wishes he could just know what Bella was thinking,.. and all the times when she told him but he wasn't satisfied with her anwsers cause he thought she was only saying half of what she was thinking. Plus she's the only person he can't hear so it was probably amazing for him to hear how her mind kind of works.

When I first finished the Saga, I felt a happy sadness. After I had read each book, I was sad it was over and was dying for the next because I couldn't get enough. But after Breaking Dawn, I just felt everything worked out perfectly and ended on a great note. None of the Cullens were hurt, everyone was like a big family and Edward finally heard Bella's thoughts. It was a good perfect ending :)
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Yes, Edward is no longer a "monster". He's found love, and has a daughter. I think that now that he's happy, and he's no longer alone, he'll be able to find peace.

Not much. No matter what species Bella is, she always has problems with self-esteem.

Because he always had to assume that Bella loved him as much as he loved her -- now he knows.

I was very satisfied. ^^ I love happy endings, and this ended on a very nice note.
Bubblegum
Settled in Forks

Post by Bubblegum »

I think Edward's gotten over the majority of feeling that way. I think he recognizes Bella doesn't view him as a monster, and her opinion mattered the most to him. On top of that, he protected others' loves, and I think has realized that while he can't control his species, he can control his actions.

Between books, I'm sure the meaning has significantly changed. I believe that in Twilight, he was trying to get her to accept how much everyone thought of her. How everyone thought she was pretty and nice and all. When Breaking Dawn comes along, I think the meaning has changed to the way HE feels about her. How Bella is special to him--that she should see herself in the way he does, rather than previously in Twilight, where he meant for her to realize how suitable other boys were, ect.

A source of frustration for Edward was always that he couldn't hear Bella's thoughts. What really got her intrigued by him was probably the way he acted BECAUSE of his frustration. Though the things Bella thought for him were things Edward remembered clearly for himself, he could see it in her thoughts. It was something he'd never thought would happen, but Bella surprises him. He also got to see things through her eyes; the way Bella saw things.

I'm not really sure, honestly, lol. Bella and Edward's happy ending was sweet and I literally almost cried. I was quite satisfied with the way Stephenie Meyer chose to end the saga. In a childish way, though, I was pretty upset by it's ending. Just because I wanted another book, of course! xD

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
[look at] m e