General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by Chernaudi »

I hope that when I seen New Moon in the coming days that I won't be subject to gay jokes, since I'll be goin with my brother to see it. Nothing against gays, but why is it that male fans of the novels and movies are subject to the assumption of homosexuality? I find that to be insensitive and unnecessary.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
dazzledBrit
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by dazzledBrit »

Chernaudi wrote:I hope that when I seen New Moon in the coming days that I won't be subject to gay jokes, since I'll be goin with my brother to see it. Nothing against gays, but why is it that male fans of the novels and movies are subject to the assumption of homosexuality? I find that to be insensitive and unnecessary.
It's along the same lines of "surely women are only seeing the movie for all the half-naked men?". :roll: Um, no. But I can see that if someone was shallow enough to think that, then they might get confused by straight guys going to see the movies!
Susie wrote:Essay - Thanks for expounding....I can understand why you want to keep it from your peers. I feel like the attachment to the books is on a fairly deep level. For me, I experience them in an altered state of consciousness - no hyperbole intended. I just started Midnight Sun now (I put it off because I don't really like reading so many pages online) and I was again transported......It's hard to explain to an outsider.
I'm empathic and a super fast reader so I really get into well characterised books. Maybe it's not a first for me as I'm older than many Twi-hards and have read a lot. For example, I'm also a big LOTR fan (and was for over a decade before the movies came out!). So that experience of losing yourself in a different world isn't new for me.
Rob's Halfway House member ~ Kristen, Rob AND Taylor fan - The Twilight pedant

Heading to Forks soon...
vampyre_princess
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by vampyre_princess »

Susie wrote: Has anyone had a similar criticism of the book?
I haven't had anyone try and sway me from liking the book cause they hate a character, I have friends that are Team Jacob (I am Team Switzerland) and they have tried to sway me to Team Jacob... without effect.
I have had people try and sway me from liking the books altogether as Meyer cannot write a plot that stays the same throughout the series... that aggrivates me, as the people who say that have never even read the books! I will always keep the books in my library that I will continue to re read, no one will change my mind on the books, yes I agree that people are entitled to their own opinions so I will not force them to like the books, just as they should not force me to hate the books.

dazzledBrit wrote:Some people just don't get on with characters at all and that puts them off. I've never finished Wuthering Heights and quite a few Austen novels because of that. It's silly, I know.
Okay I love Wuthering Heights (and I am studyig it for English) but I can see why you could dislike it, I am not a fan of young Catherine's she is too spoilt for my liking... but I love the complicated relationship between Cathy and Heathcliff. Austen Novels, I love her work, but again I can see why some people wouldn't, it's a matter of personal taste. Austen's novels (and the novels of the Bronte sisters are my type of books) I love older literature more than contemporary literature. So what I am saying is it is not silly, it's just they are not to your personal taste of novels.
I hope that when I seen New Moon in the coming days that I won't be subject to gay jokes, since I'll be goin with my brother to see it. Nothing against gays, but why is it that male fans of the novels and movies are subject to the assumption of homosexuality? I find that to be insensitive and unnecessary.
I have mates that are guys that like the Twilight Saga too, and people assume they are gay aswell, I think it could be cause many people think that Meyer's target audience was teengae girls (that's why if you are older people do not think that you should like the books), when I went to see New Moon my bf (who is now my ex) came with me and my sister, and my friend... he loves the Saga, and he doesn't care who knows, he has a band with the cullen crest on it (like the male Cullen's wear) he is proud to like the Saga and not afraid of who knows... I think it's not fair that people automatically think that if a guy likes Twilight he must be gay... most of the time people who think that are 1. male and 2. has never read the saga. (btw, I am female)
♥ away with the fairies ♥
^ follow me :) please?
○Team Stefan○♠Team Switzerland♠
♀listv2~Pixie Rose
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Chernaudi - I agree that it is very unfair. We women actually want you guys to understand how we feel and Twilight helps with that. I suppose if you go with a girlfriend, it would be considered a "date movie", but if you just go with a group of friends, it's weird. It's probably because of, as Dazzled said, the half naked actors on the screen and the hype that revolves around them. People who haven't read the books have NO IDEA what the true attraction to Twilight is. Courage!
angelus128
Settled in Forks

Post by angelus128 »

Being a guy proves to be a great challenge when you admit to liking Twilight. Truthfully, I have made fun of Twilight's stranger features, have openly shared my dislike of Breaking Dawn, and applauded Stephen King for sharing his honest feelings about Stephenie Meyer's writing ability. Even with this though, I still enjoy the universe Meyers created and some of the characters she placed within that universe.

Now, being a huge reader, I am dismayed greatly by the criticism or the admonishment some readers receive if they have enjoyed Twilight or are contemplating reading the story. Working at a library has granted me the opportunity to have a first hand experience of non readers becoming fervid readers all due to reading "Twilight." For example, a friend of mine, was formerly a non reader. After reading Twilight, she now finds herself buying books at an alarming rate and spending more time reading than watching television or mindlessly surfing the internet. Twilight was her foundation or spring into the world of books and now she's slowly beginning to discern more through the surface meaning of a book and analyze the deeper themes of a story.

Honestly, Twilight is not my favorite series though it's entertaining and offers a great respite from the turbulence experienced in the real world. If anyone is interested in reading an analytical look at "Why Twilight is popular then I highly recommend John Granger's "Spotlight on Twilight." After reading that, you'll notice Twilight is not the brainless affair many define it as.
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

angelus128 wrote:...If anyone is interested in reading an analytical look at "Why Twilight is popular then I highly recommend John Granger's "Spotlight on Twilight." After reading that, you'll notice Twilight is not the brainless affair many define it as.
Thanks for the tip! I do spend a lot of time analyzing this sort of thing. I have my own theories, so I'd like to see if any match Granger's!
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

I'm sorry to any of you who get made fun of for liking Twilight (especially the guys.) Thankfully pretty much all my friends have read it & like it. I'm pretty sure I'm the most obsessed fan out of us all but that's okay. I don't get teased or made fun for that. And I've even had some conversations with people at my church who like it. I can understand why some people aren't fans everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just hate how there are haters & people have to tear others down for liking it & tearing down SM's writing & story & world she has created. Everyone is different & we all have different likes & dislikes.

angelus128 wrote: Now, being a huge reader, I am dismayed greatly by the criticism or the admonishment some readers receive if they have enjoyed Twilight or are contemplating reading the story. Working at a library has granted me the opportunity to have a first hand experience of non readers becoming fervid readers all due to reading "Twilight." For example, a friend of mine, was formerly a non reader. After reading Twilight, she now finds herself buying books at an alarming rate and spending more time reading than watching television or mindlessly surfing the internet. Twilight was her foundation or spring into the world of books and now she's slowly beginning to discern more through the surface meaning of a book and analyze the deeper themes of a story.

Honestly, Twilight is not my favorite series though it's entertaining and offers a great respite from the turbulence experienced in the real world. If anyone is interested in reading an analytical look at "Why Twilight is popular then I highly recommend John Granger's "Spotlight on Twilight." After reading that, you'll notice Twilight is not the brainless affair many define it as.
I love hearing stories about people becoming readers thanks to Twilight. Hey if it gets people (and especially kids) to read than great! (My same opinon on the Harry Potter series. I know there are those out there who won't let there kids read it because of the "witchcraft" or magic in it.) We need more of that & less of television watching, computer time & video game time. I was actually introduced to Twilight by my sister-in-law who before was not a reader. (She couldn't even read the Harry Potter series. And so I knew it had to be good.)

Is that book the basically tearing down Twilight book? I heard there's one out there that's basically going to be about what is wrong with Twilight & why it sucks & especially the bad parts about Edward & Bella's relationship.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

People always take the mick out of the Twilight movie, saying its carp and thats why they dont like it. So me and my friend say 'Have you read the books.' and 99% of the time, they say no. So we say 'Your opioion doesnt count then.' :D Mostly its just annoying people, but im no0t ashamed to go to my parent evening tonight in my New Moon shirt, with the Cullen Crest badge on my Converse and Team Edward socks :)
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

^^^ That's so true. You can't base it off just the movie. People need to read the books to be able to judge it fairly.
Maybe they hate it just becase it's become so popular & is a pop culture phenomenon. (Which totally shocked me! I never thought it woud blow up like it has.) Who knows.

:o Where'd you get Team Edward socks?!?!? I would so love a pair & wear them!!!
I have some Twilight shirts & a NM shirt. And love wearing them. :D
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Bruquita
Settled in Forks

Post by Bruquita »

I get gently teased.

Especially when I do something off-guard. Like yesterday, my friend asked me for a favor, and I said "sure,sure", which I have never done before. She said " OMG. You have it bad. You are talking like a character you don't even like. But the books DOWN".

Or they will ask what I did, and I'll say " I watched Twilight again while I studied". And They'll say " Of course you did".

But my friends are mainly twi-hards, too. So I tease gently right back.