A Chapter By Chapter Discussion of Twilight

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
amulaya
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 22 ~ Hide and Seek

Post by amulaya »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?

This is how I thought they worked. Says that the power of a persons choices impact everyone and everything around them.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?

I think Alice knew all along, Jasper probably found out about 3 minutes after she went into the bathroom, and I can damn near guarantee Edward was Pissed!!!

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?

More than likely, considering it was the 1920's. Like James said, a hundred years earlier than that they would have burned her at the steak. I bet her family was terrified.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?

He is VAIN.
"So, who's gonna catch me a grizzly bear?" - Bella
kaitlyncullen
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by kaitlyncullen »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices?
i dont know, i kinda thought that they might be able to change or something like that. and i think it just shows that we all have the power to change our futures.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news?
i'm pretty sure that alice knew what bella was doing, and i'm pretty sure that edward was rather angry about it.

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
it had a lot to do with the times honestly. i think that her family had no idea what to do, but i still dont think a mental institution was the best choice.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human?
i think he wants attention, and i think he thinks verry highly of himself. he's also pretty creative.
Private Kaitlyn Cullen of Jasper's Army.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." - Jackson Rathbone. <3
LizzieBug
Settled in Forks

Post by LizzieBug »

Alphie wrote:3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?
New to the forums here, so hopefully I'm not overstepping or not following the "rules" completely (do you hae to answer all of the questions?). If I am -- mods please just delete me! I'm only going to answer this one question about this chapter because this is what fascinates me the most, and I'm actually not really going to answer it at all, but ask my own questions.

There is only one tiny paragraph-and-a-half that gives us any clue into Alice's former life and transformation. It was the 1920's and I'm sure that Alice's family were a little scared by her visions and that is why they put her in the asylum. It was a difficult enough thing for them to do that they put her in they also put a tombstone up wtih her death date as the date they put her in the asylum. Oops! I just realized that is a spoiler from the next book.

I just went to look at the guidelines for this forum and they say "Just remember that in most cases you have to answer from your FIRST impression of the story, not something that you have thought about for years." I just barely read the books this week -- one right after the other. My first impression is of the complete story. I haven't had years to ponder this from different angles, so hopefully I'm not going to end up getting deleted. In any case, I continue . . . waiting to see if my response is appropriate.

OK, so sticking to what it says in Twilight about Alice's transformation, which I'm very curious about (probably because there are so few details) we know this much: she was in an asylum run by an old vampire (no name given). He had grown fond of her and so when James came around to drink her blood (for whatever reason that may be -- did he go there often for the easy prey? Did he pick Alice's scent up in town before her family put her in the aslyum? He says she smelled even better than Bella.) the old vampire made her safe by turning her into one.

This gets me to thinking about the old vampire. What was he doing at the asylum? Easy prey most likely. No one would miss the people whose blood he drank because it was likely that most of the families "buried" the people they dropped off (like Alice's family did) when they left them there. However, this powerful being that is the old vampire grew fond of Alice. What does that say about Alice? She must have been as charming as a human as she was as a vampire. The vampire had enough affection for Alice to want to protect her from James. We know that it is very difficult for a vampire to just stop at a bite and not continue by making a meal out of their intended creation, so this tells me that Alice was a very special person throughout her entire exsistence.

I wonder, did Alice have a vision of herself as a vampire before or during the time she was at the asylum? Maybe that is one of the reasons she doesn't remember her human life or her transformation. She knew what was going to happen, and Alice, being who she is, just took it all in stride?

So, not so much an answer as to why Alice's family was justified in taking her to the Asylum and a little study into the character of Alice. Imagine if her family hadn't taken her there? We wouldn't have our sweet little Alice. She'd be long since dead, devoured by the insidious James.
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. We learn that Alice's visions change depending on the decisions of the person she is trying to observe. Did this surprise you at all or was this how you always thought her visions worked? And what does this say about the power of our own choices? What??? Alice isn't the one MAKING the choices, she just sees the choices people make. It was interesting to know that's how her visions worked.

2. How long to you think it took Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella had gone? And how do you imagine Edward took the news? Not long. I imagined Edward would have been very angry to know if Alice saw this coming, and why didn't she stop Bella if she did in fact see it.... again, hopefully we get Midnight Sun!

3. We learned that Alice was once a resident in a mental institution. What does this say about Alice's human family? Do you think they were justified because of the times they lived in?I don't know what to think about Alice's family; maybe they were embarrassed by her. In their time, it was the only way to treat her problem- you can't blame them for something they didn't even know about, when there were no other alternatives.

4. James is somewhat of a performance artist, using the mirrors to create a very effective death for Bella. What does this say about his character or his life when he was a human? I really HATE him!!! There are other "bad ones" in the series that have likable aspects, but James- NO!! He enjoys watching others suffer through pain and torture; he likes to be the one in control of the horrific situation. If it's true that certain aspects of a human's behavior are amplified when becoming a vampire, then I imagine human James would have been a bully, picking on weak ones for his own amusement and pleasure... there is nothing likable about a character like that... Steph did a GREAT job in creating him!
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

Well, the future isn't set in stone, every single little decision that you would most certainly change the future, so I wasn't surprised at this.

Well, I think Alice had already seen bella make that decision, that's what happened in the hotel room, so she already knew where to find her.

Maybe she truly was mentally ill, i don't think it would be fair to judge them when we don't have all the information. Yes I do.

He was probably a play director or something, lol.
viokagloring
Wandering Through Town

Post by viokagloring »

no this didnt surprise me. it made perfect sense to me. ever little insignificant choice we make later affects us, so it makes sense.

not very long. i mean Alice can see the future. but they probably waited for Edward. he on the other hand was probably veeeerry angry. maybe not with Bella but with James, because he says hes never angry at her. but probably angry enough to rip out James' throat.

her human family probably loved her dearly. i mean Alice is so charming as a vampire, no reason to think that she wasnt just as charming as a human. the characteristics of a human are just intensified when turned vamp, so of course she was. but they were probably afraid for her and maybe even of her whenever she would just stand there with a blank expression on her face and then say something about them and later find that it was true. it was still very unknown at that time. so they put her in an asylum. and they were probably told that there was no hope for her. so they left her there. its sad really.

hes really truly cruel is what i got out of it. he teases her with her own death. hes sadistic. but still an interesting character if you ask me.

...strong emotions can alter us in permanent ways.
*TwilightIsMyDrug*

Post by *TwilightIsMyDrug* »

I wasn't really surprised at all. I think it shows how quick we are to change out minds.

I think they figured it out IMMEDIATELY. I can imagine his RAGE and fear. I can't wait for Midnight Sun, to see it all in action...

It made me sad for Alice. As far as their decision, it's sad...but I think that was the mind-set back then. Maybe they thought putting her in an institution was the only way to help her?

It says that he was all about show.
"You don't know how long I've waited for you."
Team Edward
corinnejca
Wandering Through Town

Post by corinnejca »

It did surprise me. I've always thought that people's decisions are inevitable. I think that if we had enough information, we could predict everyone's decisions. So, I thought that since everyone's decisions were inevitable, Alice's visions were set in stone basically. I think it shows that Stephenie Meyer does NOT think this way.

I bet that Alice saw it as soon as it happened. They should have been right behind her. Maybe it took Alice a while to understand what she had seen, and then find Jasper. I can imagine Edward being incredibly angry. I think it would have been scary to be around him in that moment; he probably would have really looked like a vampire.

I was really sad when I learned that Alice was in a dark cell for most of her human life. But, I think her family was justified in the way they thought. What would you do if someone told you they saw visions of the future? I don't know about you, but I would probably think they have schizophrenia. They probably thought she had a mental illness that needed to be treated. But, it just so happened that mental institutions in those days were ASYLUMS, and asylums were horrible, cruel, and inhumane.

I think he was probably starved for attention as a human; he was probably unattractive as well considering that as a vampire he was only average looking. It sounds really sick, but he probably wanted to be able to watch himself killing Bella. Maybe he gets off on watching himself kill humans. Hmm, maybe he was abused or bullied as a human also and now he's taking that out on his prey.
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

This didn't surprise me, it made sense to me that if someone made a decision that would change the outcome of something it would change Alice's vision and she might see a new one. Like her visions are glimpses of one specific moment in time, not a continuous thing where she can see all the events/changes leading up to something. I think it just means that our own choices obviously effect a lot of the can change the course of "fate".

I can see Edward first being incredibly enraged and then worried and then possibly hurt. I think Edward is tortured at the very thought of something happening to Bella, as she is about him. Edward knows what James is capable of more than Bella does, so he knows exactly what she's facing which would only make it harder for him. I think it didn't take very long for Alice and Jasper to figure out where Bella was at all. I am sure they were able to piece together Alice's visions and get it quickly. Plus when Bella was in the hotel room after the phone call, I almost got the feeling that Alice either knew what Bella was going to do, or she knew that she was going to do something, maybe she wasn't sure exactly what yet.

I never think that is justified, but it was obviously the norm, and commonly accepted in her time. So I don't know if it is completely fair to judge Alice's family for what they did. For centuries we as humans have been terrified of what we can't explain and what we can't control. Institutionalization, unfortunately was one of the ways that these fears were dealt with. When I think about the history of mental health and convalescence, it makes me sad.

I think James is very self involved, you know what they say about people who like mirrors. He likes to see his own performance, he wants other people to see his performance, the video camera fits into both of those things. I think James is proud of who he is and thinks himself a but untouchable, he seems to delight in the things he has done/gotten away with. I imagine he was a pretty confident/cocky person as a human, perhaps and actor or other performer.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I didnt think that Alices visions were set in stone. I mean people change their minds all of the time.

I dont really think it took them long to figure it out. I mean she didnt come out of the Bathroom. I think that Edward was probably furious that they let her get away..and at the same time he was probably worried about where the heck she was and if she was okay.

They they obviously didnt care muh about her. Even if the times were bad.

Maybe he was into performance art when he was a human. He likes things to be very dramatic.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]