General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
vampirelover109
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by vampirelover109 »

exactly my boyfreind knows first hand how crazy i am and has learned to accept it :)
team edward all the way
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

vampirelover109 wrote:i get made fun of by co workers who call me sad and say that i need to get a life but twilight is my escape from all the crap in life i love it its great it makes me happy :P
That's the same thing with me. I became obsessed because I read the saga & loved it. And since my life has been kind of crappy the past couple of years (one thing after another) & the love story (I'm single & no prospects of anything) it just made me happy. I could read it, escape for a while, and live vicariously through the books. It just makes me happy & giddy. I've always been a reader but I've never had a series make me so happy & have characters that I have come to know (more and more with each reading) and to love. I would so live with Cullens! They are just an awesome family. They're each different but yet care about each other & help each other.
Edwards Ragazza wrote:I am a little confused about how some people say SM can't stick with the plot. Can anyone explain. I don't know all the criticism out there b/c usually just don't care either way since I love this series, but that comment a couple of pages back re: the plot made me curious what plot others are talking about.

I have no idea. I don't get that criticism of the plot.

Edwards Ragazza wrote:I have read a ton of adult books and and if it is a romance book it usually lacks building up the relationship between the characters boy meets girl they stay together the end. Then to try to make it romantic they throw in there some sexual content. The adult content usually is written really cheesy that makes me laugh and not take the story seriously. However when SM can wrote the Twilight Saga you could feel the passion and love that sends chills down your spine. I could feel so much emotion for E&B that I can't say I ever had felt in another book. SM did DELIVER that without feeling the need to add adult content to get her point of the intense relationships that build up this saga. That impressed me.

I totally agree with you! One reason I love it is E & B's relationship. And no adult contect! I've unfortunately read some books that have that in their & have stopped reading them. At least they actually talk & get to know each other even before they kiss. And before there's any sexual relations. Unlike a lot of tv & movies now days where they do that on the first date for pete's sake! Craziness.

I just really hate how people judge it before they've read the books. Ever heard the saying don't judge a book by it's cover? (or movie?)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
vampirelover109

exactly its my happy place so if ive had a realy crappy day at work which is most of the time i go to my twilight books and im happy :D
team edward all the way
inlovewithvamps
Settled in Forks

Post by inlovewithvamps »

I know so many people that hate the Twilight books because a lot of the girls around me tend to go crazy over Edward. Here's how I see it though; we're like the Star Wars fans of Twilight. Without us, the movies and books wouldn't be popular. I LOVE vampires and if anyone makes fun of that, then oh well. :P
Human or vampire? Decide Bella's fate! Vote: http://ow.ly/2kL5B
vampirelover109

exactly its our thing and we enjoy it if anyone makes fun of me now my response is simple I DONT MAKE YOU READ THE BOOKS OR WATCH THE FILMS SO BUTT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
team edward all the way
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

So, i haven't been on in FOREVER and this has to be the first thread I post on b/c I get made fun of all the time for liking Twilight. I'm 22 but I LOVE the Twilight series and it's not just b/c I think Edward and Jacob are hot. I love the plot even though there are a few things I don't agree with. I think Stephanie is a genius for being able to create this whole series from one dream. My husband has to be the one person who makes fun of me the most. I know he does it jokingly but it does get annoying sometimes. Though, I guess it is annoying when I squeal like a little girl every time I see anything that has to do with Twilight lol.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

inlovewithvamps wrote:I know so many people that hate the Twilight books because a lot of the girls around me tend to go crazy over Edward.
Well if they read the books they would know the reason we go crazy over Edward is because he's a GENTLEMAN!!! :D Which in today's soceity is kind of rare. He's thoughtful, kind, doesn't swear, opens the girls door, etc.

vampirelover109 - nice response! it's so true too. We can't help it if it exploded after the first movie came out (I certainly didn't see that happening & neither did SM & neither did the actors.) We like it & they can go live under a rock if they need to because unfortunately I don't see it dying down anytime soon. (At least not until BD is out on dvd at least. And hopefully by then SM will have finished or started writing Midnight Sun again.)

vampirenerd I'm 25 (along with most of my friends) and I love it too! I know some "older" women who also love it. I don't know why the media & others don't understand that it's not just for teenage girls. Men like it and women from 12 to probably 80 or so like it. It appeals to ALL ages. My one friend's husband even likes it. They read the series together & have seen the movies. I just hope if I ever get in a relationship/married he will understand this is something that I love (and my love probably won't ever go down) and he'll just have to deal with it & won't make fun of me. I'm sure I'll even try hard & long to at least get him to watch the movies/read the books.

Isn't it crazy how fans of HP don't get made fun of? What's the difference? Because it's vampires? :?
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
vampirelover109

yep twilight isnt going anywhwere for a long time :D
team edward all the way
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Well, penny I'm 22 so in my opinion I'm still young enough to be a tad obsessive about things lol. Like I said he does do it jokingly and he actually enjoys the movies (or just REALLY loves me) since he did go to the theatres to see New Moon with me THREE times lol. In my defense it was with a different group of ppl each time.

Also, as someone who is still a VERY firm supporter/lover of the HP books I will admit that while there was some who picked on us HP lovers there weren't nearly as many as the Twilight bashers. I think a part of it was how it was marketed. When HP came out (books and movies) they were about an 11 year old boy. Not really much there for anyone whose only into a series for the "hot main character" to get excited about lol. Twilight though is all about the hot boys lol. I do think it's a little degrading though for those of us who enjoy the books for their literary merits (and yes the hotness) to be lumped in with the screaming kids who are only interested in the looks of the characters.
rollie715
Wandering Through Town

Post by rollie715 »

vampirenerd wrote:Well, penny I'm still young enough to be a tad obsessive about things lol. ...
I do think it's a little degrading though for those of us who enjoy the books for their literary merits (and yes the hotness) to be lumped in with the screaming kids who are only interested in the looks of the characters.
I'm not sure what age we get over being obsessive about things. I'm 53 and a male, and I still seem to jump from one obsession to another. Although I like to use the word passionate instead, and I like to think I just enjoy so many things about life that I like to experience each one to the fullest. The Twilight saga just seems to be one of my current obsessions. Of course part of it is being fed by the fact that my wife is obsessed with it also and we just experience it together. With a supporting spouse, it is easier to handle any outside teasing, or to not have to publicly share it with everyone. I do have a different perspective then most of the younger females including you in your 20's, as I don't obsess as much about how hot Edward is, in fact it is kind of embarressing for me sometimes, not only to be associated with the screaming teenagers, but also with the swooning adults. Don't take this wrong, I don't feel critical towards you at all, it's just that I may approach it from a somewhat different perspective.

At this stage in my life, I am very comfortable with who I am, and I don't mind being different, even if others from time to time express disapproval of what I do.

Overall, Twilight has been a good ride. :)
What I enjoy the very most is when my… enhanced abilities let me save someone who would otherwise have been lost. It’s pleasant knowing that, thanks to what I can do, some people’s lives are better because I exist
- Carlisle Cullen