What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Susie »

Well, Twilight(2nd time) intertwined with Midnight Sun (1st time) WOW!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Okay, more books in progress :)

1) The Deep Blue Good-by, by John D. MacDonald. This is the first of his novels featuring one of the best "private-eye" characters in modern mystery fiction, Travis McGee. Technically, the "salvage consultant" who lives aboard his houseboat in Florida isn't a PI, but he functions like one a lot of the time. MacDonald is a very stylish writer and McGee a good protagonist, so I'll probably be with this series for a while.

2) Ordinary Injustice, by Amy Bach. While Bach's book doesn't chronicle any truly famous, high-profile cases, she gives a compelling account of some of the day-to-day shortcomings of America's criminal justice system.

3) Wannabe U, by Gaye Tuchman. A case study of what happens when a mid-level state university tries to step up to become an elite research school. This is kind of a dry, academic book--Tuchman is a sociology professor at Connecticut. I personally find it interesting because I work in higher education and especially because I have taught at a couple of "Wannabe U's." After doing my graduate study at UCLA, I taught at a couple of other Los Angeles area colleges that clearly suffered from bad cases of "UCLA envy."
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
angelus128
Settled in Forks

Post by angelus128 »

Recently, I finished Maria V. Snyder's first book of a brand new series (the book's called "Inside Out"), separate from her Study or Glass series. Knowing Maria V. Snyder very well, I was able to attain a copy well before the book's April 1,2010 release. I highly recommend the book as it has the perfect balance of romance, action, an ingenious universe, and interesting scifi elements. Basically the story is a hodgepodge of great literary elements such as suspenseful scenes that accelerate your heart rate and fine crafted characters. I cannot recommend the book enough. I laud if for being an entirely different breed of story than Maria's past novels and for being an improvement over her last few books. Any fans of Stephenie Meyer's The Host will greatly enjoy this novel.

Also for anyone in the Philly area, I'm planning a release party for her book which will be held at the Exton, PA mall Border's Express. In the past, there have been many notable releases there. Even if you haven't heard of or read any of Maria V. Snyder's books, I encourage you to come. Even if you want to stop in and grab some tasty cupcakes!! The event's April 10, 2010 from 1pm-3pm. Sorry Pel, for promotion of an event I'm planning.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Finished Accidentally Demonic and it was fantastic! I think the best so far! Now I am reading the latest in the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn, Kitty's House of Horrors.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I am re-reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice to get my vamp fix lol
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Okay, having finished off the John MacDonald book, I've started another mystery/suspense novel (my light reading). It's John Sandford's The Fool's Run, the first of his Kidd/LuEllen series about a pair of unorthodox thieves who are also sometime lovers. Sandford started this series the same year as he began the "Prey" series featuring Lucas Davenport; as the Davenport books sold better, Sandford eventually focused on them and more or less abandoned Kidd and LuEllen, although Kidd has had a couple of walk-ons in the Davenport books. Anyway, this one, like virtually all of Sandford's books, is lively and entertaining.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

Waiting for my friend to finish the Nicholas Sparks book, so I'm currently reading Everwild (#2 in the Skinjacker Trilogy) by Neal Shusterman. So far, so good. :)
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

UnfreakinBelievable wrote:I'm currently reading Everwild (#2 in the Skinjacker Trilogy) by Neal Shusterman. So far, so good. :)
I read Full Tilt in 7th grade. It was really good, and I've been meaning to read something else by Neal Shusterman for a while now.

Right now I'm reading Triangle: The Fire that Changed America. I have to write a paper on a book of my choice dealing with any issue within an assigned time period (1865-1980), and I bought this book because when our teacher was lecturing on the fire, I was just fascinated. I was already planning to order it to read for my own enjoyment, so I figured I'd use it for my paper. Actually, I've already got a vague storyline floating around in my head about this fire for next NaNoWriMo. ;D
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

xXBeSafeXx wrote: Right now I'm reading Triangle: The Fire that Changed America. I have to write a paper on a book of my choice dealing with any issue within an assigned time period (1865-1980), and I bought this book because when our teacher was lecturing on the fire, I was just fascinated. I was already planning to order it to read for my own enjoyment, so I figured I'd use it for my paper. Actually, I've already got a vague storyline floating around in my head about this fire for next NaNoWriMo. ;D
I read Triangle several years ago; it's a very good book. David von Drehle is a good writer who can tell a story in a compelling way, and he's chronicling a pretty important historical event. I hope you like the book.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I just started the 4th book of the Night House series by PC Cast called Untamed. The series is for the younger generation but it is a fun series that is keeping me entertained.
Banner by TammyAZ