Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Writers Central

Post by The Dark Knight »

A voice from the darkest past only surfacing to give a bit of advise...

Snowstone, you are looking in places that is more female centric. There are numerous other books with fansites that are more male centric, the Harry Potter sites, Dune, Serenity and much much more. Maybe a good old google search would do you some good.

Twilight and many of the new vampire novels are driven for the female needs/money. Good reading and all but not were you are likely to find strong male character for you to relate too. Some maybe - your more likely to find what you are looking for in older books or in the SciFi genra. Just a freindly suggestion

Good luck in your quest

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

Couldn't agree more, society made this role model types, and since then only rarely we see any different.

Let's do it, let's change, shock, innovate the world of literature, give new role models. We hear all the time (and I saw a signature here once) about age being only a number, that we can be young all our lives. We say everyone is equal, yet a male can't be sensitive without either being gay or weak. Give us middle aged women as our heroins, that fight as well as young and save the day as all heroes do. Gives male characters that can be a rescue by female ones, without being considered weak. Give us new heroes and new stories without being trashed because the profits might not be good. God all mighty, God all mighty, God all mighty. (This last parts is for you Boston Legal fans out there :) )
My Twitter
Check my little stories and photos, and give me some feedback
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

The Dark Knight wrote:A voice from the darkest past only surfacing to give a bit of advise...
Dark Knight!?!? :o :shock: :shock:
HE LIVES!!!!

I must agree with you both. I had forgotten about Serenity. I love that story and it's fanfiction.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Writers Central

Post by The Dark Knight »

Here's a gift to you writers out there, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage for those times when you are having trouble of thinking of a thread or story line.

By the way, what kind of writer are you. I'm a stream of conscience writer myself…

My Fan fic can be found at Diane’s site, http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/forum ... es-naughty

Enjoy,

DK

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Snowstone wrote:Couldn't agree more, society made this role model types, and since then only rarely we see any different.

Let's do it, let's change, shock, innovate the world of literature, give new role models. We hear all the time (and I saw a signature here once) about age being only a number, that we can be young all our lives. We say everyone is equal, yet a male can't be sensitive without either being gay or weak. Give us middle aged women as our heroins, that fight as well as young and save the day as all heroes do. Gives male characters that can be a rescue by female ones, without being considered weak. Give us new heroes and new stories without being trashed because the profits might not be good. God all mighty, God all mighty, God all mighty. (This last parts is for you Boston Legal fans out there :) )
That is what literature used to be all about! It has been a long time since Mary Shelly, or the Bronte sisters broke down walls and it wasn't easy for them. Oh gosh who else? Mark Twain broke stereotypes and racial boundaries, and there was Jules Verne who created science fiction. It's past time for the next great thing. Like you said, let's do it! Keep writing people.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Openhome~~Just finished reading your one shot! It was amazing!
Happy Sunday...almost Monday, Ya'll! I've spent the day writing Chapter 21 of Perfect Forever, but I am nowhere near done with it yet. I thought the battle scene was tough...the after-the-battle stuff is even harder. I've cried enough for one day. I am headed to bed and will write some more tomorrow night. :)
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Totally agree regarding the male/female thing. When I wrote Giovanni's story, he is the supernatural- but his human wife had so much... I won't say control, because it wasn't that. But he lived for her, and continues to do so even though she's gone.

Of course that could change...

I am currently tossing around an idea for another fic. This one would likely have a supernatural female, but the male would be anything but innocent. :)
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Just to stir the pot a little, I think Bella is very much a heroine. Although Edward has to protect Bella against Victoria/James/Newborns, she saves him just as much. She saves all of them in Breaking Dawn. I think if the saga had been written from Edward's POV we would have seen her much more as his savior and his protector, but Bella never thought of herself as good enough so we don't get that full effect from her.
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

I think she can be more heroine, because it's not the traditional fighting/warrior hero. Brains and heart over muscles. That's what I mean, you just don't see a male Bella in literature, much less in cinema or tv shows.

A true hero is the one that makes anything and everything to save the ones he loves. Even if that means his/her life or any other sacrifice.
My Twitter
Check my little stories and photos, and give me some feedback
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

The idea of who is the real hero/strong one in the Saga has been the topic of many discussions here. I personally loved it that the nice girl ended up being the hero, and that her strength was her ability to accept and love those around her. As a foster mother, sometimes love can be the greatest strength of all.
Rings: Oooo, do tell when you are ready!! That sounds really good.
Amanda Beth, congrats on finishing. That has to feel so wonderfully weird.
MissP, thank you! It is a very strange story for the fanfiction genre, but it was fun to write.

So, has anyone gotten any good clues from their Stephen King books?? I am really re-thinking how I describe things and the number of adverbs I use.