Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Bella Swan Cullen #3

Post by diane771 »

It depends on the people involved. Some people only have one true soul mate, and they do not ever give up their whole heart to anyone else. Some people throw the word love around like the word the to the point that it means very little to that person. Bella's one true love was Edward, and no matter who she would be with if Edward did not return, she would have always have a piece of her heart waiting for Edward. You can be satisfied in a situation but its not the same. There is different types of love and that is what Jazz was saying. When a person finds a soul mate though I believe it is the best of loves. Only some people find that person who can fill that piece of them. its not something that is bad, its only maybe one soul mate for each person and when you find it, no one else can compare to that love.
If Bella had moved back and went to Forks High and didn't meet and fall for Edward; would Jacob really be her boyfriend? Or would someone like Mike be the one? More in common and her age, I think she would have gone that direction. JMO
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Again, I understand perfectly well what she was trying to say, but it was irrelevant to what I was saying. Originally, Jazz said that Bella was never in love with Jacob, which is untrue. SM has stated very very clearly that she fell in love with him in New Moon. But, thanks for trying to help! :D

The way I look at the entire situation is simply this: She loved them the same AND differently. She was IN love with both of them. They are both her soul mates. In a world without supernatural beings, Jacob would have been her soul mate, and she was in love with him the same way she is in love with Edward. That being said, in the "true love" category, her love for Edward FAR outshines her love for Jacob in that category. She also loves Jacob in a multitude of other ways, as a best friend, a protector, a confidante, even a son-in-law (eek!), and in those ways, no one can equal him. Edward has his own category - sort of like imprinting - but that doesn't mean she was never in love with Jacob.

You're entitled to your opinion on who she would have been drawn to. I think she would have wound up with Jacob because SM has all but said that, and also, if you remember in Twilight when she first meets Jake, she feels an automatic pull towards him. She likes him right off that bat, for no real reason. She doesn't feel like that about anyone from Forks, with the possible exception of Angela. It's more that she tolerates them, especially after meeting Edward. I don't see her and Mike having anything in common, personally, but that's my opinion, and you're certainly entitled to yours.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Do you also find it irrelevant that you say something with out telling if its in the book, or if some screen writer wanted to make a movie. I am refering to Twilight the hard book pages 6 and 118. Everything you said about Bella's first reaction to Jacob was the movie and not the book. Her attraction to Edward was immediate though maybe just confused a little. Bella was already falling for Edward when she first sees Jacob on the beach. So maybe checking it out will refresh your memory between the book and movie.
Two soul mates thats a new one too. Is it even possible to have two soul mates at once? IMO no.

Like friendship every relationship is different just as in love is Bella loved Jacob, but Edward was the man for her. Big difference and I think SM is good to bring out the distinction in the books. Too many young people rush into something and for the wrong reasons. Bella knew it wasn't Jacob, because if he was her soul mate she would have moved on and she could not.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

You know, you could have just asked me where I got that information - which was in the book, not the movie, actually - without the sarcasm.

Yes, Bella HAD already fallen for Edward when she met Jacob, in Chapter 6, Scary Stories. She took the walk with him to get more information. That doesn't mean she didn't automatically like him and feel comfortable with him. Wouldn't life be boring if once we found our soul mate we never felt any sort of automatic comfort with anyone again? That'd be awful lonely, IMO. Please understand, I never said she was drawn to him, like, love at first sight drawn to him. Just that she was comfortable with him in a way she wasn't with other people.

Either way, I pointed out the fact that Bella automatically liked Jacob to show, not that she was in love with him (she wasn't until New Moon, as SM has said) but that she very well may have ended up with him if Edward were not there, rather than Mike or Eric or Ben or Tyler.

If you want to know where I came up with this, in Twilight, the paperback, on page 119, Chapter 6, Scary Stories, Bella has her first interaction with Jacob. She mentions that he's good-looking: "overall, a very pretty face", pg 119. "I couldn't help grinning back" page 120, "He was very easy to talk with" page 120. The rest of the chapter is mostly her fake flirting. That's the most of it in Twilight, but in New Moon it mentions over and over again how easy it is for her to be with him.

This is what SM has to say on the subject:
First of all, let me say that I do believe in true love. But I also deeply believe in the complexity, variety, and downright insanity of love. A lucky person loves hundreds of people in their lives, all in different ways, family love, friendship love, romantic love, all in so many shades and depths. I don't think you lose your ability—or right—to have true love by loving more than one person. In part, this is true because you never love two people the same way. Another part is that, if you're lucky, you learn to love better with practice. The bottom line is that you have to choose who you are going to commit to—that's the foundation of true love, not a lack of other options.
This is what we're ALL saying.
Next, Bella does not fall in love with Jacob in Eclipse. Bella falls in love with Jacob in New Moon. I think it's easy to understand why this fact doesn't occur to her. Bella has only fallen in love one time, and it was a very sudden, dramatic, sweep-you-off-your-feet, change-your-world, magical, passionate, all-consuming thing (see: Twilight). Can you blame her for not recognizing a much more subtle kind of falling-in-love?
There's why I question Jazz Girl saying, and this is a direct quote "I don't believe that Bella was ever in love with Jacob."

What Jazz Girl said was irrelevant because I had already said all of it, and she did not answer my question. A question that I asked her, so really, she's the only one who can answer it. It was all perfectly logical and true, just nothing to do with the question I asked her. So, let's let her answer it shall we?

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

If you want to know where I came up with this, in Twilight, the paperback, on page 119, Chapter 6, Scary Stories, Bella has her first interaction with Jacob. She mentions that he's good-looking: "overall, a very pretty face", pg 119. "I couldn't help grinning back" page 120, "He was very easy to talk with" page 120. The rest of the chapter is mostly her fake flirting. That's the most of it in Twilight, but in New Moon it mentions over and over again how easy it is for her to be with him.

Well if this means she is automatically drawn to Jacob I think you are really streching it a bit but again if you want to see it that way then, that is up to you.

I do believe this is an open discussion, and I can post my opinion on what is being said. PM Jazz if you want a direct response from her and no one elses opinion, if you can't deal with it.

j

j
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

HOFJ: I agree that Bella was automatically drawn to Jacob. With her personality she seemed to have a hard time connecting with people but she seemed to have an instant connection with Jacob. It doesn't mean that she fell in love with him, because I agree that it wasn't until in New Moon that she fell in love with him, but it does mean that she felt close to him. I also completely agree that she wouldn't have dated Mike. They don't seem to have anything in common, and even with the fact that Mike is her age I think she connects more with Jacob.

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
Next, Bella does not fall in love with Jacob in Eclipse. Bella falls in love with Jacob in New Moon. I think it's easy to understand why this fact doesn't occur to her. Bella has only fallen in love one time, and it was a very sudden, dramatic, sweep-you-off-your-feet, change-your-world, magical, passionate, all-consuming thing (see: Twilight). Can you blame her for not recognizing a much more subtle kind of falling-in-love?
I love this, it explains it, IMO, perfectly. As soon as she saw Edward she knew she was in love, a love that made everything else dim in comparison. But when she fell in love with Jacob in New Moon, after Edward left, it was a gradual thing. They started out as friends, finding things in common and growing closer together. Eventually she fell in love with him and it was a love based on friendship. I think that's what's different about the two loves. With Edward it was an instant, "love at first sight" thing. They were in love and then they started to get to know each other. With Jacob, they got to know each other and then she fell in love with him.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

diane771 wrote:

Well if this means she is automatically drawn to Jacob I think you are really streching it a bit but again if you want to see it that way then, that is up to you.

I do believe this is an open discussion, and I can post my opinion on what is being said. PM Jazz if you want a direct response from her and no one elses opinion, if you can't deal with it.
If you were to go back and reread that section, I think you'd see the difference between how she reacts to him and how she reacts to the boys at school when they approach her. She's just comfortable with him, and enjoys his company.

Of course, you can post your opinion. And I responded to it. However, we've moved away from the question I asked her, I was merely pointing that out. We've all three been posting the same thing, about different kinds of love, for a few posts now, which had nothing to do with what I originally asked. Since we both, apparently, agree that there are all types of love, I was hoping we could move the conversation on, until Jazz comes back and responds, since there's nothing really left to say. If you took offense to that, I sincerely apologize, none was meant. However, if you'd like to continue that same discussion, by all means, that's your choice.

Regarding whether or not you can have two soul mates, I would say that you or I or anyone else in our world can't. But Bella doesn't live only in our world - she lives in two. She lives in the human world and in the supernatural world, so I think it's perfectly plausible that she would have a soul mate in each. What do you think?

I'm also curious as to what makes you think she would go for Mike if Edward weren't there?

diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Well I did reread them when I posted the pages for you. This is getting nowhere but I do think by experience her reaction to Jacob is being over read into. Maybe you will see things as I do when you have experience. I hope you don't think everyone that you feel comfortable with is "the one" and turn you back on some else who could be the one. Yes Bella did take her time but did Jacob? I think soul mates are like love at first sight and I can relate to that completely. Yes SM did a good thing by letting a relationship grow but the moral is your heart knows what is best for you. Maybe just a thought. So I am finished here and only hope you take in some of what I am saying. :D
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Well, I am now frustrated, because I know I've said three times at least that just because Bella was comfortable with Jacob didn't mean she was in love with him. :roll: But you're right, it's getting nowhere. But maybe, if you were to take something away from this conversation, as you hope I am, it would be that sometimes people just see things differently, and it has nothing to do with "experience"?

Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The reason I say I don't believe Bella was in love (and yes the italics are important) is simple. And it goes back to what all of us have been saying all along. Love is crazy, strange and different for all of us and we all define it in different ways. To me, there are various shades of in love. And, while Bella might have, at one point, been in love with Jacob, she was never in love with him. It's the difference between young love, where one can completely live only in the moment and choose to be a little wild and a little irresponsible, and true love, where there is intimacy and a goal and a future.It's the difference between platonic love and eros, true love. With Jacob, she found friendship and comfort. With Edward should found true love and passion. Could she have settled for one when she'd known the other? I think she might have tried and in the end it would destroy them both. But, thankfully, that's a question for which we never need to find an answer. Bella knew, and we know, who it is she cannot live without.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS