Gutter Guys & Gals : Full Moon Baking

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals : Full Moon Baking

Post by una »

Also, in the movie (talking about points left out) we don't know what Edward had been doing after he left Bella. We didn't know he was starved. Something that came out due to the movie wanting that Volturi fight scene, is the discovering that Felix's talent is fighting... which is why he is able to combat Edward so well, even with Edward "knowing" what he moves would be.

I'm excited for Bree's book as I am very interested in having this other view of becoming a vampire. However, I disagree that Carlisle felt no empathy towards the destruction of the newborns. I'm sure he regretted the loss of life, remember, he wanted to grant Bree a reprieve and have her live with them, give her a second chance.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I agree with una. I think Carlisle probably felt a great deal of distress about Bree being destroyed, but since the books are written from Bella's perspective and she was mostly focused on other things, I think Carlise's concern was only mentioned briefly. I don't know if we will see more of Carlisle's stress over the situation in Bree's book or not. Also, I think Carlisle was very focused on keeping Edward and Bella safe from Jane's questioning gaze. I think he was more concerned over his family's safety than Bree's.

Thank you Naureen!!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I would like to agree with what you said. We don't get a lot of Carlisle other than that he is a compassionate father. However, he is also a tremendous leader who is able to keep a coven of very bull headed and gifted vampires together. His primary focus would have been his family, and with that at the forefront, he would not have shown much grief for Bree. After a century with the Volturi, I'm sure he knew exactly what he was up against.

I still picture the X-men or at least Men in Black every time I look at the fighting suits. Those black suits just kill me. :lol:
Addicted
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Addicted »

Hey everyone, I have been so busy lately & so out of the loop in regards to whats been going on, online. But, I just wanted to pop in. I am still 100% "Addicted" & am excited & have opinions about so many things that are going on right now in the Twilight World. Just no time to talk or discuss them.... :lol:
Long Story Short.... I will be going to LA next weekend. AHHHH!!!! I will be Volunteering, as usual, & although I am going expecting nothing, I am still excited @ the possibilities. :D
Anyone else going to be there???? Would LOVE to meet some of you!!!!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Addicted! I am so excited for you.

I have wondered how people who haven't read the books can understand the movies. To me there is so much left out that I don't see how they see the continuity from movie to movie.

The first time I realized this happening was when I saw the HP movies. I saw the first 3 without having read the books. After the 3rd movie, my husband told me some of the things that he wished had been in the movie. I thought they sounded really interesting so that is when I read starting from the beginning of the series. I like the HP movies for what they are, but I see them as separate from the books.

I feel the same way about the TW movies. I see them as separate from the books, but I wonder how people who haven't read the books can understand some of the things going on. Do the non readers see Carlisle as compassionate? Do they care what he would think about Bree? Victoria is definitely a "nemesis" in the movies, but I don't know that the full extent of that comes across in the movies. And, maybe it doesn't matter to the average movie goer. Hmmm...
by Laniyeah on photobucket
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Great points bac. I'd wonder what all the hoopla was about if it was just the movies.
My daughter and I have been reading Harry Potter together. After we finish each book, we watch the movie together. It definitely is a more fulfilling experience, although the book is always better. We are on book 5 and just saw book 4's film (with that very young Robert Pattison as Cedric).
I think that Carlisle had to pick his battles very closely - he just got the okay for them leaving Bella alone for now, but he probably knew he wouldn't be able to push it if he insisted on them letting Bree live. If he had to "compromise" (and compromising with the Volturi isn't easy), it would make sense to allow Bree to be destroyed than one of his family members.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Addicted, once again I find myself very happy for you and jealous of you. How I wish I had the time and freedom to go. My family is from LA and I was born and raised there. I would LOVE to go. In fact, I was making my plans to go to the convention in MN when they cancelled it for this one. I feel rather miffed at all the wonderful things I am missing now. The new date is not very teacher friendly. :cry:

And, maybe it doesn't matter to the average movie goer. Hmmm...

That, I believe is the key. I have heard over and over again that the average American is far less well read and far less literate than the last generation. I can see why. Most people would rather spend two hours with a filmed version and forgo the mental effort of reading. If there is a movie, who needs the book, right? It really frustrates and saddens me when people lose the incredible depth and interaction that a literary work brings, and don't even know that they are missing something.
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

LadyDi wrote:I think that Carlisle had to pick his battles very closely - he just got the okay for them leaving Bella alone for now, but he probably knew he wouldn't be able to push it if he insisted on them letting Bree live. If he had to "compromise" (and compromising with the Volturi isn't easy), it would make sense to allow Bree to be destroyed than one of his family members.
Hmmm...well, it was actually Alice that changed Aro's mind about changing Bella in Volterra. I'm a huge fan of Carlisle and I understand his compassion and good heart, but I think he would've found some way to let Bree go. Perhaps even refer his time with the Volturi before going on his own? I don't know, but I'd like to think that he tried all that he can and in my mind as I read that part of the book, he didn't go the extra distance. *Shrugs*
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I just wanted to say that I am with all of you who feel the films are seperate from the books. I enjoy the films...I liek seeing what they include and what they felt they could leave out (personally, I wish nothing was left out, but then we'd have really long movies I guess...LOL) But I get a whole different feeling...a different mental image when I am reading the books than what I see when I watch the films. I don't have a problem with Rob Pattinson but my mental image of Edward was very different. And the way Rob portrays Edward is different than the Edward I feel SM brought to life in the books. Bella is also completely different in the books than she is in the films (for me!) So, while I enjoy the films...I have to completely seperate them from the books in my mind, otherwise I'd be very let down I think!

As far as reading goes, I teach language arts to middle schoolers. I know how most kids feel about reading...but once I read a book with my class and start diving into, getting the kids to form opinions and discuss what they are reading, they really seem to see literature in a different way. I'm not saying they all leave my room loving to read, but I think they have a different opinion about it...see it in a different light. It's hard for me...an avid lover of reading...to understand how anyone could accept a film adaptation of a book without wanting to read the book! There is always so much more to learn in a book, so much more to see and hear, than what filmmakers can capture in a couple hours on screen. (I do have to admit that there have been some plays or movies I enjoyed more than the books, but that happens very rarely!)

Thank you Naureen!!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

fanMNM wrote: (I do have to admit that there have been some plays or movies I enjoyed more than the books, but that happens very rarely!)
I can think of one for me. I prefer the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility to the book. *bac dodges flying tomatoes* For some reason I just like the movie better. I think it captures the romance between Edward and Elinor better than the book. Again, that is just my opinion. Although, there are some things in the book that I wish had been included in the movie (like the scene where Willoughby comes in the middle of the night to confess his love for Marianne to Elinor).
by Laniyeah on photobucket