What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jestak »

I've just finished Identity Economics, by George Akerlof and Rachel Kranton. It's about rethinking standard economic analysis to incorporate elements of "identity," such as social categories--race, gender, etc.--and also social norms. While it's non-technical enough to be accessible to non-economists, it's probably mostly of interest to people in that field.

I've recently started A Deadly Shade of Gold, by John D. MacDonald. This is one of the early books in his series about "salvage consultant" Travis McGee; it features one of the first appearances of McGee's economist friend Meyer, who lives on his cabin cruiser the John Maynard Keynes. Great name for a boat :)
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

I finished The Three Weissman of Westport. It's suppose to be a modern rendition of Sense and Sensibility, but I thought i was depressing and quite frankly, boring.

I started The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink last night. It has a really interesting twist on the concept of fallen angels. Hope to finish it tonight or tomorrow.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I just finished the Psy-Changeling Series by Nalini Singh. Now I'm reading The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

I just finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, and now I'm re-reading ECLIPSE before the movie premiers in 10 days!!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I finished Heart of Darkness and enjoyed it overall. However, the first and second stories were excellent while the third fell flat. It had an excellent premise with Egyptian mythology but it was poorly executed. I am now reading Into the Dark by Gena Showalter. It is her Lords of the Underworld series guide with two LotU novellas and one novella from her Warriors of Atlantis series.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I am reading Kiss of Midnight, the first in the Midnight Breed series. But as soon as I get my hands on Sizzling Sixteen (Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series) I'm going to be reading that.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

besides my school book I just started the 7th book in P.C. Cast Night series Burned.
Banner by TammyAZ
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Current reading includes:

1. Crisis Economics, by Nouriel Roubini and Stephen Mihm. Roubini was one of the very first economists to warn of the danger of a collapse in the real estate market and the potential for a financial meltdown; naturally, his take on the financial and economic crisis is very worth reading. One of the strongest books I've read for economic analysis of the crisis; not as good as Simon Johnson's book when it comes to the political dimension.

2. The End of Energy Obesity, by Peter Tertzakian. Tertzakian offers an analysis of the tendency, throughout human history, for economic progress to be accompanied by more intensive energy usage. He shows how that trend cannot be sustained in the future and looks at how society might find a way out of this dilemma.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

Im reading Deathly Hallows again, and Eclipse just for the crack of it before the movie :D
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I finished the first book of vampire diaries yesterday and now I'm rereading (for the 4th time :lol:) Eclipse before I see the movie :P
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha