Favorite Scene in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Favorite Scene in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Post by Jazz Girl »

fanMNM wrote: I have to say that I was not a huge fan of this scene. I felt like Bella was saying she thought she was meant to be a vampire more than she was saying she was meant to be with Edward. It didn't sit well with me. But I really liked your explanation and seeing it the way you describe it makes it much more comfortable for me. I still think the dialogue could have been better so that there was no confusion about what Bella's point was here...but your explanation definitely makes sense and thanks for sharing it! I'll watch that scene with a more open mind next time I see it.
I think there's two things that really make it work for me. First and foremost, a part of my fundamental understanding of The Saga has always been that Bella & Edward are quite literally made for each other, truly meant to be in the truest sense of the phrase. And I always saw Bella as figuring that out a little faster than Edward, or at least, figuring out what had to happen for that to be realized. So, that's a concept that I automatically carry to the movies.

Second, Kristen Stewart gave an interview where she commented on the fact that one of the themes that runs throughout Eclipse is the fact that no one listens to Bella about her choices. Not Edward, not Jacob, not Charlie, no one. And, you see it play out. Charlie telling Bella that grounding her is, in part to get her some distance from Edward. She tells him then and there that there's nothing he can do and Edward is in her life, no matter what. But, he doesn't listen. His next sentence is about getting more separation. Same with Jacob, though it actually starts in New Moon, "No, Bella. I won't let you be one of them.". She tells him over and over and over again that she chose this, that it's what is going to happen and he never believes her, never trusts her choice. Same with Edward. Perfect example; when they return from Florida and are talking in the car: "Is that why you wanted me to go? You thought I'd change my mind?" "I'm always hoping for that." Even Rosalie gets in on the action. "You have a choice and you're choosing wrong." I always want to shout at the screen;"Choosing wrong for YOU, not her!!!"

So, in essence, it adds to the movie an undertone of Bella doing what she has to do to get the people in her life to realize that she actually knows what she's talking about and what she wants. With Edward more than anyone else, who feels selfish for even wanting to turn her, she has to turn the argument a little, remind him that, while they may not have anything to do with Bella's ultimate decision, there are other factors at work. I suppose that is ultimately why I appreciate that little speech so much. As soon as she makes it not about him, he understands. Again, maybe I fill in way too much of my own context. But, it's what makes it work for me.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Ahhh, Caryn, I always love your passionate comments...they always are the same as I feel about things...
though what I really missed in that last scene is Edward giving her the choice.
in the book he says the deal is of, he will turn her without being married, he admits he had ignored her opinions...we all know how heated the scene would have looked like on screen...
but in that chapter Bella is realy choosing, is choose the wedding, she choose to be besides Edward as his wife...

and Although I admit I would have loved Edward sexually attacking Bella at the end of the mvoie played out on the big screen, I think leaving it out takes away the essence of Bella's choice...
Jazz Girl wrote:It's not just about me... When Bella says, "No. Sorry.", she's telling him, "It's about US
Seriously I can't even remember hearing her say..."It's about US."....I really have to get back and see it again....

Hey what did everybody thought about the scene before "the talk"... Bella asking Charlie about re-marrying...
I thought it was really cute to see Charlie that way...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

marielle wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:It's not just about me... When Bella says, "No. Sorry.", she's telling him, "It's about US
Seriously I can't even remember hearing her say..."It's about US."....I really have to get back and see it again....

Hey what did everybody thought about the scene before "the talk"... Bella asking Charlie about re-marrying...
Marielle~ She didn't actually say, "It's about US." But, to me, that's what she is telling him without saying it. One thing I've always loved about Bella is that she figured out, by the end of Eclipse, how to deal with Edward. I mean, let's face it, he isn't the easiest man to figure out or deal with. But, like any old married woman ( ;) ) will tell you, loving them is all about learning how to deal with them. Every man has a certain way about him and successful relationships are centered on figuring out your man's way and working with it. For example, my hubs hates to be the heavy with our boys. Because of his relationship with his dad, he just wants to be the cool dad. But, that doesn't always work and sometimes, he as dad needs to step in. So, getting him to do it is less about getting him to step in with them and more about him stepping in and backing me up in a united front. Edward is no different. And, what I see in that scene is Bella figuring out Edward's way and letting him think he got it. In stead of continuing to argue with him the fact that she doesn't have any other reason to be turned but to be with him, she essentially creates an argument out of useless facts that are also true. It's weird, round-about logic, but it's the shortes route to what they both want.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

pennybug84 wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:The entire proposal scene. From the moment Edward opens the door..."Why aren't you inside?"... it's just beyond perfect. Rob absolutely brought 1918-Edward to life in a way that was profound, beautiful and believeable. And Kristen as Bella throughout the whole thing... Just loveliness all around.
The proposal was awesome. But I didn't really get why they had Edward say "Why aren't you inside?" It looked to me like she just arrived there. Give her a minute man! She doens't have vampire speed. And then he asked if something was wrong? I was kind of confused at that.

I didn't like that part either, 1), in the book he carries her over the alter. 2) Victoria is out there and an army to kill bella, he wouldn't just let her stroll up to his house alone.
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bellsuz »

So far...only on my 2nd viewing!! My favorite moment, and I mean miniscule moment, is the moment after Bella says yes to Edwards proposal...the look on his face, I swear it will melt your heart. It is, in my opinion, the most heartfelt, honest look in the entire series.

I'll have to come back after my 3rd viewing to settle on my favorit scenes, I think I'll have gained enough compouse by the 3rd viewing!
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Jazz Girl What you're saying makes sense. I wish I had read that before I saw the movie again because while watching the end that was bugging me. You always have a great way of explaining things.

So after seeing it the second time one more scene I loved was Edward trying to tick Victoria off so she wouldn't leave & he could finally get rid of her. I ♥♥♥ Rob there. "You want her." His whole speech was great.

The fight training scene was great too. It was great for Jasper to have his moment to shine & he was so funny!
marielle wrote: Hey what did everybody thought about the scene before "the talk"... Bella asking Charlie about re-marrying...
This was a really cute scene. I love any scene that Charlie is in. Billy is always awesome!! I can't wait to see the scene in BD when they go to tell him that they're getting married.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

marielle wrote: Hey what did everybody thought about the scene before "the talk"... Bella asking Charlie about re-marrying...
Marielle~ I actually thought it was quite clever. I think most of us questioned Bella's sanity at some point, given that she was fully ready to give up her life for eternity with Edward, but was scared of a wedding. This was a pretty intriguing way for MR to make it a little more understandable why Bella was so afraid of marriage and also why she has the change in feeling toward it. I think it emphasized the idea that it's not marriage that falls apart, its the people in it. And whe you find THE person, than marriage is a good thing.

Penny~ :D Thanks. My world always makes sense in my head. It's nice to know it makes sense to others, as well.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

One of my favorites was Bella and E laying in her bed and asking why he is so hesitant on changing her and she says to him " I thought it was I might smell different" and He smiles and pulls her towards him to kiss her and says" no you will always be my Bella". Then says after he takes a long deep breath just less fragile.
Banner by TammyAZ
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Edwards Ragazza wrote:One of my favorites was Bella and E laying in her bed and asking why he is so hesitant on changing her and she says to him " I thought it was I might smell different" and He smiles and pulls her towards him to kiss her and says" no you will always be my Bella". Then says after he takes a long deep breath just less fragile.
Desiree~ GAH!! Just the barest of hints of his true desires and what's to come. "You'll always be my Bella. My Bella, just less fragile." :twisted: The moment would be perfect with just the first part of the line, like we say in the early released scene. But, add that second part in there... oh HOT DAMN!! But, still at the same time, just downright pattented Edward-sweet. I tell you, the way Rob plays Edward just blows the mind.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I really liked "the talk" between Bella and Charlie because I thought you could really see the father daughter connection between them! Billy Burke did a great job of imitating some of Kristen Stewart's facial expressions there. He gave her that look that says "why are you asking me this??" I have seen KS do that several times and I thought, "wow, they even look alike here!" That was great :)

Thank you Naureen!!