Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by Openhome »

Hi all!
This is your friendly neighborhood mod with an important announcement about avatars and signatures.

We recently began getting malware alerts from avis and siggys that link back to the site called Iconater. Please do not use Iconater to get your avi or siggy. The malware is a serious threat, and we are having to delete all links to Iconator along with the avi or siggy that came from there. If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me.
Thanks for your help, Openhome
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Soooo I got a new tattoo...and it's making me want to re-read CW&IA. I saw a cupcake tattoo and my mind went directly to Tattward and Baby Bell.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

AB, what does it look like?

Hi all, just a question as we all go about our reading today: Did you see the story on fanfiction writers at comic con? Several of my favorites were there, including Giselle who spoke of getting Da Capo published as a tribute piece. I am thrilled that the ladies represented the best of the writing community. I was also very happy that the forum didn't focus on the smut side of things.

Any thoughts on it or on fanfiction in general?
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

In script I have "It goes on"--from the end of the quote by Robert Frost "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." I WANTED "so it goes" from Slaughterhouse Five, until I realized how freaking popular it is, which I found surfing on http://www.contrariwise.org.

It's my 2nd tat. They're so addicting.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

AB~~Love the new tatt! I'm thinking of getting a tiny one to celebrate my 100 pound weight loss. I'm just not sure what I want or where I want to put it.

fan-fic writers at comic con~~Bella is not relatable??? The void of a main character???? PEEELEEEEZE! I totally disagree with those observations. Bella is very relatable to me. She is your "average" girl next door who falls in love with a forbidden boy. And, during the course of the saga, she undergoes an incredible transformation of growth and strength - even before becoming a vampire. Then, in Breaking Dawn, she becomes the undeniable heroin - saving them all. IMO, Isabella Swan Cullen is one of the most well-written and relatable characters in literary history.

AND, THEN THERE'S THIS:
This is reinforced when an audience member asks if any of the authors are thinking about telling the story of Jacob and Renesmee (the infant daughter of Bella upon whom he imprints, in one of the more disturbing parts of the novels). “There are too many uncomfortable issues there, the undertones of ownership, and so on. Not touching it.” One says.

Another says “I’ll be the first to say though that I don’t want Stephenie Meyer touching it either.” It’s not the first joke in the panel subtly ripping on the quality of Meyer’s text.

I definitely plan on writing the story of Jacob and Renesmee. I just want to finish up my idea of what happens between Renesmee's first year of birth and when she actually becomes adult age first. But, I would actually love it if Stephanie were to continue the story herself. Where do people get off making such jokes about SM's writing ability? I think she has a unique talent. She is one of the best authors I have ever read. DON'T THROW ROTTEN TOMATOES AT ME... But maybe these fan-fic writers should try it out there on the REAL bookstand and see just how terrific their writing is. Hmmmm...
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

"Heroine."

And I have my own point of view on the topic, but I think this is not the place to be discussing Mrs. Meyer's writing skill.

Lastly, you said it yourself- in your opinion Bella "is one of the most well-written and relatable characters in literary history." These folks you're talking about are also expressing their opinions.
missp
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Thanks, Rings! Heroine the female counterpart to a hero, NOT the drug. I didn't edit very well. I would have counted off points for that if I were grading one of my students' papers. :oops: And, I feel as if you should feel free to share your opinion. Just because we don't all agree on a particular subject doesn't mean we can't share our opinions about them. :)
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

I think that Bella was written vaguely, but that it helps the readers relate to her. She doesn't have a lot of strong opinions, and does not have a strong personality at first, most 17 year olds don't, but it works for Bella, in my opinion, and it worked to get me hooked.

What excited me about the panel was the focus on fanfiction as an authentic form of writing. Yes, we have plenty of bad writers and sickos, but the panel came across as very professional and knowledgeable. I don't agree with many of their opinions (like i don't fully understand writing in a fandom that you hate -- which many authors do), but I am glad they didn't resort to smut as the reason for their work. The addressed it as an honest and worthy hobby. It is a little strange that they aren't willing to admit they write fanfic to others. I do. *shrugs*
missp

Post by missp »

I know what you mean, Kayla. It makes me wonder why they won't admit to others that they write fan fiction. Everybody who knows me is aware that I write fan fics. They just ask me all the time why I "waste" my time writing it when I could be writing a "real" novel and getting my own work published. I am very glad they spoke of it as an authentic form of writing and a worthy hobby. I just have a slight problem with them implying that they can do better writing than SM. Though, that may be true - some of my favorite fan fic authors do write as well as or better than SM - I think it's a bit rude to say it out loud so liberally when she has been gracious enough to allow fan fics based on her work to continue.

BTW...I do not consider writing fan fiction a waste of time. Could I be writing my own original novel? Certainly. Might I someday? Maybe. But for now, it's fun to discover where the characters that SM has created will carry me through the process of writing fan fiction. When the process becomes more of a chore than a pleasure, I'll consider taking up a new hobby. Scrapbooking is always an option. :lol:
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

lol don't hate on those who don't talk about their fanfic writing..the only person who knows I do is my mom. My friends know I love Twilight and I want to be a writer, but I live a different life online than offline. If you were to see me among people in a social situation, you'd never pick me out. I like the escape :)

And I think Bella was SUPPOSED to be a vague character and that's why everyone loves these books. Each girl sees something of herself in Bella--awkwardness, nervous about the boy you like, curious, trouble balancing friendships--and what's not there you can fill in the blanks. If SM had given Bella obvious characteristics like other characters (think of Rose's tenacity, Alice's bubbly personality), not as many girls would connect with her.