What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jestak »

More new books started:

1) Over the Cliff, by John Amato and David Neiwert. Amato and Neiwert, partners in the Crooks and Liars political blog, pull no punches in attempting to show "how Obama's election drove the American right insane."

2) The Hollywood Economist, by Edward Jay Epstein. Epstein, continuing the story he began telling in his previous book The Big Picture, explains the answers to questions like "how much do movie box office totals really tell us?" and "Do movie stars really do all their own stunts?"
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

Just finished The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. I don't think the writing was fabulous, but it kept my attention and the little twist at the end made me want to go onto the next book. In a nutshell, it's about a girl who can see ghosts and gets sent to a group home for troubled teens because her family thinks she's lost her mind.

I'm now going to start The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Dark Visions 3 books in one by L.J. Smith

FAn Fic: The Ex FActor by Angelattwilight
Banner by TammyAZ
PetiteSageHibou
Settled in Forks

Post by PetiteSageHibou »

UnfreakinBelievable wrote:In a nutshell, it's about a girl who can see ghosts and gets sent to a group home for troubled teens because her family thinks she's lost her mind.
Oh, that sounds really interesting! D: Is the main character good? (:

At the moment I'm reading "In the minds of murderers", by Paul Roland. It's very interesting ^_^ And also "House and philosophy", which is also great (:

I have real difficulty finding fiction books that can hold my attention for more than the first few pages. Does anyone who's enjoyed both Harry Potter and of course Twilight have any recommendations? : D If it's not too much trouble, that is!

Next up are "Twilight and history" and "profiling violent crimes" (:

ImageImageImage
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I'm reading I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason, a mystery by Susan Kandel. Her main character is Cece Caruso, who is not a cop or detective, but a writer. She's writing a biography of Erle Stanley Gardner, the creator of Perry Mason, and her research draws her into a 40-year-old murder case. This one is pretty good but not as compelling as some of the other mystery/suspense novels I've read lately.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
samajama
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by samajama »

I'm reading Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneggar (author of The Time Traveler's Wife). I just started it last night, and I've only read about 10 pages. Basically, it's about twins whose mother, Edie, also had a twin, Elpsbeth. The younger twins (whose names I've forgetten, sorry) inherit Elpsbeth's flat in London with two conditions: they live there for a year and their parents do not visit for that year. The novel is about their living in the flat and learning to live on their own and such. At least, that's what I'm assuming. Lol.

I just finished reading Nightlight: A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon. It's (clearly) a parody of Twilight, but it's HILARIOUS. Most people assume Twilight fans would hate and be offended by such things...but those people are nuts! I love Twilight and everything (well, almost everything) Twilight-related, but that doesn't mean I don't like to make fun of it as well. Anyway, I absolutely loved every single page. It tells of the awkward romance between teen klutz Belle Goose and non-sparkly, possibly-vampiric Edwart Mullen. (Note: To the Team Jacob fans, there are quite a few werewolf references, but Jake does not have an alter-ego in this book.) It's such a fast read and will easily list your spirits if you're in need of a good laugh. The small town of Switchblade, Oregon is a world where...well, a world I'm glad I don't live in, but can take a nice, long look at. I recommend this to any and every Twilight fan that is not insulted by mockery of this kind.

Happy reading!
-Sam
Team Edward Bringing sexy back since 1901. I'm on the ListV2 Sammy Whammy
Team "Screw you freaks; I want Ben!"...........Randomness Resident
LOVE MY TWINNIES: Mary and Shel <3
The Real Esme Cullen
Keeping the boys honest

Post by The Real Esme Cullen »

I am currently reading a fascinating home improvement book by Mike Holmes. However, I am always looking for a new novel to read while I wait for Carlisle to return home from the hospital. What would you recommend for me?
Earning sainthood by raising five teenagers for eternity.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The Real Esme Cullen wrote:I am currently reading a fascinating home improvement book by Mike Holmes. However, I am always looking for a new novel to read while I wait for Carlisle to return home from the hospital. What would you recommend for me?
Esme~ Hmmmm, well, I'm a huge fan of Sarah Gruen. Both Water for Elephants and Riding Lessons have gotten the best of me of late. But, if you want to go with classic page turners... Where the Red Fern Grows will always own my heart.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
The Real Carlisle Cullen
Giving Life to the Lifeless

Post by The Real Carlisle Cullen »

The Real Esme Cullen wrote:I am currently reading a fascinating home improvement book by Mike Holmes. However, I am always looking for a new novel to read while I wait for Carlisle to return home from the hospital. What would you recommend for me?
Esme, perhaps later we could read together. I've been catching up on a new heart valve replacement surgery, much less invasive than opening up the whole heart. It is incredible! Doctors can do it with a small incision in the skin. Sorry, I'm getting carried away. Anyway, I can read my medical journal while you finish your home improvement book. Then tomorrow we can go to the bookstore. Jazz Girl's recommendations sound very interesting.
It took me almost three hundred years, but she was worth the wait.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Latest additions to the in progress pile:

1) 1848: Year of Revolution, by Mike Rapport. The year 1848 was probably the most tumultuous year of the entire 19th century, politically, at least. Austria, France and Italy were just three of the countries where history changed course significantly during that year. This book is a good account of the main events of 1848, written for a general audience.

2) Back Spin, by Harlan Coben. This is the fourth in Coben's Myron Bolitar series. In this one, the sports agent/PI and his financier friend Win Lockwood investigate the kidnapping of the son of a husband/wife pair of golf pros--right during the US Open. The Bolitar books aren't at the very first rank of mystery/thrillers, but they're well above average.