What was the last movie you saw?

Off-Topic Conversation regarding music, movies, TV, plays, etc in general the entertainment industry.

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: What was the last movie you saw?

Post by Openhome »

Just saw Secondhand Lions with the kids. I always love that one. The eccentric uncles, cheesy melodramatic re-telling of events, and sweet messages make this movie one I can watch again and again.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Director John Huston dreamed for years of making a film of Rudyard Kipling's story The Man Who Would Be King. When he was finally able to do so in 1975, the end result was a classic adventure film of the old style, one where the story matters, not just the set-pieces and special effects. Danny Dravot (Sean Connery) and Peachy Carnehan (Michael Caine) are ex-sergeants of the British Army in India who have a plan: transport a load of guns to remote Kafiristan, create a native army and set themselves up as kings while they plunder the land. Danny and Peachy are rogues, but they are among the most lovable rogues ever seen on film, and the viewer will genuinely care about them and their eventual fates. I've loved this film for years. Caine and Connery have never been better; Connery's Danny is the more romantic of the two, a man capable of big dreams, while Caine's Peachy is both smarter and more cynical. It's largely their show, but Saeed Jaffrey is memorable as Billy Fish, a Gurkha who joins up with Danny and Peachy along the way, while Christopher Plummer appears as Rudyard Kipling himself in some framing sequences, and Michael Caine's wife Shakira (they have been married nearly 40 years now) has a very small role. John Huston's career as a director had many peaks and many valleys; this is one of the peaks, perhaps the highest of all.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The Peacemaker is a competent action thriller but not an outstanding one. When a train carrying warheads from a dismantled Soviet ICBM is hijacked, a cocky Army Colonel (George Clooney) must work with a White House policy wonk (Nicole Kidman) to track down the missing warheads before they can be used for terrorism. The premise for this story is quite realistic, based on an article by journalists Andrew and Leslie Cockburn (who are, by the way, the parents of actress Olivia Wilde). Director Mimi Leder gives us the requisite amount of suspense and some solid action sequences; however, Michael Schiffer's script is riddled with cliches of plot and dialogue. Clooney and Kidman are weighty enough leads to overcome the script shortcomings, at least in part, and Armin Mueller-Stahl is likable in a smallish supporting role. As 1990s action thrillers go, this one is in the middle of the pack at best: it's superior to films like Mission Impossible or The Rock, but somewhat inferior to The Fugitive or The Jackal, and needless to say it's nowhere near as good as films with truly memorable characters like Heat, Jackie Brown or LA Confidential.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Doug Liman's The Bourne Identity began one of the more effective and successful action film series of the past 20 years or so. It's very loosely adapted from Robert Ludlum's novel--Liman and his writers jettisoned almost all of Ludlum's impossibly intricate plot, keeping only a few character names and basic story elements, and turned it into a satisfactory scenario. A CIA black-ops force is thrown into turmoil when one of their agents disappears. Jason Bourne (Matt Damon, quite effective) is fished out of the Mediterranean, with shotgun pellets in his back and lacking a lot of memory. While Bourne tries to piece together who and what he is, Conklin (Chris Cooper) and Abbott (Brian Cox), the head honchos of Treadstone, try to track him down and "clean up" the situation. Liman gets the job done when it comes to tension and well-staged action, and the cast is good. Besides Damon, Cooper and Cox, Franka Potente is outstanding as the perfect stranger who is plunged into Jason Bourne's life and affairs, and Clive Owen does a nice job as another Treadstone assassin.
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

The Mummy. Yes, I know I'm over a decade late :lol: But, I kinda liked it. I'll watch the second one soon.
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

The 1930s were a great decade for comedy films, the decade of the "screwball" comedies. My Man Godfrey was one of the best. Godfrey (William Powell) is living with other homeless men at the New York City dump, when one night heiress Irene Bullock (Carole Lombard) dragoons him into, first, helping her win a scavenger hunt, and second, becoming the Bullock family butler. When he arrives for work the next day, Godfrey seems transformed--it's almost as if he's been around the wealthy all his life (wink). That's all you'll get from me of the plot--but this one is definitely worth watching. Powell, in his best non-Myrna Loy film, is at his smoothest, Lombard at her most delightfully dizzy, and there is solid support from Gail Patrick, Eugene Pallette, and Alan Mowbray.
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

Up on DVD - This was a surprisingly moving film which I thoroughly enjoyed. It had great humour throughout and the way it was animated is brilliant. Kids would enjoy it and the parents watching it to will as there are certain aspects that adults can relate to. Would recomend this film and was glad I was moved by it.

The Forbidden Kingdom It featured Jackie Chan and Jet Li and plenty of martial art cheography. It was actually quite a good film with some lovely scenery and colours. The fighting secenes were all very good and it has plenty of humour and action throughout. It is not a film that takes itself too serious however so it may not be for those die hard martial art fans. However becuase of that it menat I enjoyed it when normally some martial art films bore me. This didnt.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I like to think of Bickford Shmeckler's Cool Ideas as sort of a romantic comedy with a MacGuffin plot. The eponymous title character (Patrick Fugit) has a journal filled with his "cool," supposedly profound ideas about life, the universe and everything. One night his dorm/frat/whatever it is has a toga party, and sorority hottie Sarah (Olivia Wilde), who is slightly stoned, wanders into Bickford's room, and wanders out with his journal. From then, Bickford spends much of the movie in a quest to get it back. Along the way, he keeps running into Sarah, who not only seems to understand him better than anyone, but also keeps impulsively kissing him. And there, of course, is the real story. The "cool ideas" are nothing special--what, you thought a second-time screenwriter was going to unlock the secrets of the universe. Fugit and Wilde, however, make a very appealing couple, and that is enough to make this a pretty enjoyable film.
PetiteSageHibou
Settled in Forks

Post by PetiteSageHibou »

I just saw "Inception" the other day, it was really good!!! Nothing that they could have improved upon, really. Except for the ending =____=;

Invisible spoiler below:

My friend says it "makes you think", but it sooo doesn't! *stubborn voice* It's either a dream or it's not, I just wanna know which! ^_^ *stomps foot*

Definitely recommended! (:
ImageImageImage
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Virtually every film I've seen by Robert Rodriguez has been full of energy and fun to watch, and Spy Kids is no exception. Rodriguez had no difficulty toning down his normal R-rated style to make a PG family film, and like all Rodriguez films, this one is a visual feast. Carmen and Juni Cortez (Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara) are shocked to learn that their parents (Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino) are 1) retired spies, and 2) being held prisoner by the diabolical TV show host Fegan Floop (Alan Cumming). Naturally, they race off to the rescue, but only after picking up lots of helpful gadgets from their Uncle Machete (Danny Trejo). This one was very enjoyable.