What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: What are you reading?

Post by xhopeonaropex »

Mockingjay!!! I have 150 pages left. I'll be done sooooon. Best series I've read since Twilight xD
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Finished The Unwritten Rule yesterday and really enjoyed it. You can read my review here. Going to start Mockingjay in a few hours!
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

Mockingjay, yay!!!

I've only read a couple of pages last night but it's sooo good. Looking forward to continue reading it tonight...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
xhopeonaropex
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by xhopeonaropex »

Finished Mockingjay yesterday!!!

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xD
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

I reread Catching Fire and then I read Mockingjay..

I'm reading Shades of Midnight by Lara Adrian now. Once I'm done with that I'm going to start reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Just finished:

1) L.A. Outlaws, by T. Jefferson Parker. Parker writes police procedurals set in the Los Angeles area; he's not quite in Michael Connelly's class but pretty good. In this one, he tells the tale of a history teacher who lives a double life, teaching by day and pulling hold-ups by night in her guise as Allison Murrietta, supposed descendant of a 19th century California bandit and folk hero. When Allison stumbles on a black-market diamond deal gone wrong, she little suspects that making off with the rocks will put her life in mortal danger. Meanwhile, in her "real" identity as teacher Suzanne Jones, she meets LA Sheriff's deputy Charlie Hood, who may be the man who can save her--or uncover her secret. A good one.

Currently reading:

1) Certain Prey, by John Sandford. I'm rereading this one, one of the best of Sandford's "Prey" novels about Minneapolis cop Lucas Davenport. Among mystery/thriller writers who routinely hit the best-seller lists, Sandford is one of the best, and his Prey series is consistently enjoyable. What makes this one stand out is the character of Clara Rinker, a hit-woman who is the most fascinating, morally ambiguous, and potentially the deadliest of the foes Lucas Davenport has faced in the 20-odd years of the series. Highly recommended; I find myself rereading this one at least once a year.

2) Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light, by Patrick McGilligan. This is, so far, a very well-researched and written biography of one of my favorite film directors of all. It's a hefty book and I'm only to the point where Hitch has started his directing career, but I know I'll be sticking with this one to the end.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Fished reading Mockinghay by Suzanne Collins. Haven't quite decided how I feel about it yet. I just didn't seem to enjoy it as much as Hunger Games & Catching Fire. And the ending wasn't quite what I expected. I'll say more on the HG/CF thread.

Currently reading Water for Elephants. I forget the author. I'm only about 100 pages into it but I like it. I just wish there wasn't so much swearing & some other stuff. But I really wanna read it because it sounds like an interesting story. Plus with Rob playing the character Jacb in the movie I wanted to see if it's a movie I'd be interested in seeing. (Plus it's the only time I'll like Jacob. :lol: ) Ugh!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Just finished Mockingjay. I have a spoiler free review of it on my blog. Now I'm reading Postcards from a Dead Girl.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Finished Mockingjay about a week ago, now my sister has it and is taking FOREVER to read it and I want it back for a reread.

also reread all my Jules Verne while waiting, now debating whether to check something out from the library or to reread my Ellen Hopkins or Ayn Rand.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
UnfreakinBelievable
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by UnfreakinBelievable »

PetiteSageHibou wrote:
UnfreakinBelievable wrote:In a nutshell, it's about a girl who can see ghosts and gets sent to a group home for troubled teens because her family thinks she's lost her mind.
Oh, that sounds really interesting! D: Is the main character good? (:

I have real difficulty finding fiction books that can hold my attention for more than the first few pages. Does anyone who's enjoyed both Harry Potter and of course Twilight have any recommendations? : D If it's not too much trouble, that is!

@ PetiteSageHibou:The girl in The Summoning is a pretty good main character -- kind of your average "I just found out I have a special power/gift and I'm just trying to figure out who I really am" girl. I didn't really love or dislike her.
So, have you read The Hunger Games? Definitely a series that will captivate you, if you haven't already read it.

Anyway, I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and it was VERY well written. It's a historical fiction that takes place in Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960s and it's about racial prejudice and the points of view are from two women that are African American and are working for different families as the maids and the third point of view is from a Caucasion woman who doesn't agree with the prejudices. The writer is amazing at telling the story from the different points of view and I was very pulled into the story. I highly recommend it.

And of course I just read Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, the third and final installment in The Hunger Games series. I thought the storyline and writing were fantastic, as always, but I was a tiny bit disappointed in the book. And this is why: They made Peeta want to kill Katniss!!! What??? I LOVE Peeta! Once he started doing better and Katniss was able to touch him (moving the hair out of his eyes was pretty cute) I just KNEW there had to be a wonderfully romantic scene at the end -- but to my utter disbelief it never happened. GRRRR!!! Suzanne!! I needed more romance! What gives?? But other than that, it was awesome!