Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Edward Cullen #6

Post by Jazz Girl »

VirginiaMay wrote:BUT I think that going back again and again comes down to his loneliness. For the first time in one-hundred years he has someone to pass the nighttime hours with, even if she is unconscious.
Ginnie~ I totally agree. I think you've really got something there. But, I think it goes a little deeper than just sharing the night with her. I always giggle when I read through The Saga and Bella talks about what it means to her that Edward stays with her at night. I always think about what it means to Edward. First, there is just something about watching the person you love sleep. I do it often with my husband. When he sleeps, there's a sense of peace about him, and that peace calms me. There's just something about being able to be with the person you love at any given time, even in the middle of the night. But, I think for Edward, it's a much bigger issue. Yes, he loves the peace that Bella brings him, and the peace she gets when she's asleep. But, I think it much more has to do with what sleeping in Edward's presence means. Edward sees himself as a monster, as a constant threat to Bella. And yet, every single night, even after he shattered her, Bella makes herself as vulnerable as she possibly can with him. Every defense she has is down. She even knows that she talks in her sleep, possibly revealing to him things she tries to keep hidden. But, never once does she think twice about him staying with her, being with her while she is at her most vulnerable. It is the ultimate expression of the trust she has in him. For Edward, that constant reminder of how much Bella loves and trusts him renews him and gives him hope in a way I don't think he even realizes.[~tell~]
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Jazz Girl wrote:I think it much more has to do with what sleeping in Edward's presence means. Edward sees himself as a monster, as a constant threat to Bella. And yet, every single night, even after he shattered her, Bella makes herself as vulnerable as she possibly can with him. Every defense she has is down. She even knows that she talks in her sleep, possibly revealing to him things she tries to keep hidden. But, never once does she think twice about him staying with her, being with her while she is at her most vulnerable. It is the ultimate expression of the trust she has in him. For Edward, that constant reminder of how much Bella loves and trusts him renews him and gives him hope in a way I don't think he even realizes.[/color]
You're absolutely right! I never thought about that aspect of it, but it's so true. I just get all warm and fuzzy thinking about how much that would mean to Edward. *sigh*
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Ginnie~ I totally agree. I think you've really got something there. But, I think it goes a little deeper than just sharing the night with her. I always giggle when I read through The Saga and Bella talks about what it means to her that Edward stays with her at night. I always think about what it means to Edward. First, there is just something about watching the person you love sleep. I do it often with my husband. When he sleeps, there's a sense of peace about him, and that peace calms me. There's just something about being able to be with the person you love at any given time, even in the middle of the night. But, I think for Edward, it's a much bigger issue. Yes, he loves the peace that Bella brings him, and the peace she gets when she's asleep. But, I think it much more has to do with what sleeping in Edward's presence means. Edward sees himself as a monster, as a constant threat to Bella. And yet, every single night, even after he shattered her, Bella makes herself as vulnerable as she possibly can with him. Every defense she has is down. She even knows that she talks in her sleep, possibly revealing to him things she tries to keep hidden. But, never once does she think twice about him staying with her, being with her while she is at her most vulnerable. It is the ultimate expression of the trust she has in him. For Edward, that constant reminder of how much Bella loves and trusts him renews him and gives him hope in a way I don't think he even realizes.
Wow, your explanation is simply beautiful.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Jazz Girl really has a gift for writing about Edward, doesn't she?
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

December wrote:Jazz Girl really has a gift for writing about Edward, doesn't she?
She really does, but we already knew that Caryn's love for Edward was one for the ages...;)
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Awww, you guys are making me blush. :D All I can say is Edward has touched me in a way that no character ever has before. I can only write what I feel and how his thoughts and emotions touch me. But, to say that he does touch me is much like saying he loves Bella. It's a bit of an understatement.

As for the issue of his staying with Bella at night, it's one of those things that I find so revealing about who he is, about his heart and soul. Edward relies so heavily on his traditional upbringing, holding to many of the traditions of his time. And yet, in this instance, he does something that would be considered quite scandalous in his time. Even in just being in her presence unchaperoned, let alone in her room, in her bed and holding her in his arms, being held by her. Add to that how he suffers his thirst, suffers from the existence of the thirst for Bella at all, and the fear he feels that he might hurt her, whether by being overcome by his thirst, or just by letting his physical control slip at all. I honestly see his need to be with her while she sleeps as his first acceptance of her sacrificing for him. He accepts her vulnerability, revels in her total acceptance of who he is. And that gives him just the smallest bit of hope that their future is possible.

Before New Moon, he is able to dismiss it as a form of protection, a way of keeping her safe, both from him and from the wider world. But, after New Moon, I think he's at least partially aware of the hope and acceptance he feels when she opens her window to him every night. It's the reason why he tells her in Eclipse, after the fight in the truck over seeing Jacob, to close her window, that he'll understand if she doesn't trust and accept him after what he did. It's the reason why she opens the window as far as it will go. Because, no matter what else, she loves him and trusts him with her fragility and vulnerability. She understands his need to keep her safe, even if she doesn't agree with his methods. Every time he enters her window, holds her while she drifts away, hums her lullaby to her, he accepts her trust and her love and that she gives her trust and her love to him. It is the most telling gesture between them. If you were to ask me what I think Edward would miss the most about Bella after the change, I'd say being able to hold her while she sleeps.

Now look. You all have me running on. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Somehow found this discussion -

Jazz Girl - A+ again. (I'm all teary eyed now)
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Susie wrote:Somehow found this discussion -

Jazz Girl - A+ again. (I'm all teary eyed now)
Welcome Back, Susie!
And yeah, that made me a little teary too!
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Edward, love, hoping that Ness' birthday is everything she wants and a wonderful reminder to you that, sometimes, it's the things we never expect that bless us the most.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Caryn~ You always write the most beautiful explanations to this saga. I always enjoy reading them. :)
Banner by TammyAZ