Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by marielle »

Caryn, I don't think you have to worry about the 5/9 difference...
in BD Bella explains that Renesmee didn't look like a toddler but more like a miniature adult ( page 529 of the paperback version)...she describes her as leaner and evenly proportioned...
I think the only way for the casting directors to get her right is to go for an older girl.
I really think this girl they show now is good... like you said she has both Bella and Edward in her....
(to be honest they could tell me that she is the child of Rob and Kris and I would believe it...I mean the girl even got green eyes like Kris...)
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Jazz Girl wrote:...You have a young man (and yes, Jacob's, especially physically, a man at that point, though I might argue his maturity level) who essentially falls in love with a very young child. Believe me, I understand all of the supernatural forces and fate & destiny arguments. I make them all the time. But, to an outsider (and even some insiders), that's what happens. It doesn't matter that it's not sexual. It doesn't matter that, until she grows up, all he wants to do is be her protector and big brother. It's a man in love with a young girl...
I couldn’t agree with you more. I have made several comments about this here, and I hope no one misconstrues my intent as bashing. My real concern is that the general movie audience has had zero preparation for this. Yes, they know about imprinting, if they can recall that from the Eclipse movie, but Quil and Claire were not even brought up. SM has prepped us in Eclipse, and then again in BD showing a scene with Quil and Claire before Jacob even learns about the pregnancy. Even Jacob is sensitive to the issue in Eclipse when he first discusses Quil and Claire with Bella and spends several pages telling her not to freak out. And then Bella becomes uncomfortable…and she is good with weird. OK, now add onto all of that the fact that Jacob was basically propositioning Bella 3 days before the delivery and you potentially start opening up some really weird Freudian reactions from the audience, reinforcing negative connotations when you’re trying to dispel them. Sorry; uncomfortable subject.

P.S. On a lighter note, how much you want to bet that they keep this actress "as is" for at least the final scenes, if for nothing else than to save some bucks on the CGI budget? :D
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I have to agree with marielle. Based on the book's description of Renesmee--rapid aging, body form, intelligence that rivals adults, etc.--you almost have to go with a 8-12 year old girl. Summit could've aged Nessie to be a teenager, but that would break canon/keyfabe.

I also agree with those that imprinting hasn't been clearly explained in the films yet. There'd better be something in part one of BD explaining it, or the uninitaiated/those who haven't read the books will have at minimum a what the hell moment. That could be a major fail on Melissa's part, and more proof that she should stick to writing one hour TV shows, as that style doesn't seem to translate well to big feature films.

Those who've read the books get it, and Melissa seems to be writing the films from that perspective for the fans, and that's good, but can also be a problem at the same time, as the newcomers need to have things explained in the film, especially if they haven't read the books yet.

Breaking Dawn more than likely will be as huge a success as the previous films have been, but the cast and crew have somethings that they may have to work around because of stuff that's been omitted from the scripts from past films that could at least ease things in BD. Maybe Stephenie, being a producer and writer (she gets story credit because of the novels) can fix things, or maybe Kristen, Rob, Taylor and Bill can, just as Kristen, Taylor and Chris did in New Moon. But all else I can say is that if people crapped a brick over Nessie's imprinting in the book, more "bricks" will be laid if they don't get it right in the movie.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

At first when I saw how old Mackenzie Foy was I was like what?! She's too old! But after reading your guys's thoughts I guess it makes sense. She is very beautiful & definitely looks like she could be Rob & Kristen's child. (How freakin crazy is that?!) Looks like Summit got lucky!

So after reading that Kellan knows how they are going to do the birth scene & that he likes how they plan on doing it, I'm not so nervous anymore. That gives me hope that it'll turn out well. You can read what he said here.

So I definitely think the biggest hurtle they are going to have is the Jacob/Renesmee imprint situation. That's one thing I hate about book to movie adaptations is they usually leave out something & then in the sequel have to backtrack & explain something. I would have thought that SM could have said something & been like you need to keep that in/explain, etc for later. (I remember hearing that JK Rowling had that kind of input when they were doing some of the earlier HP adaptations. I don't remember exactly if it was changing something or keeping something out it refered to. Just that she let them know for future movies/stories stuff needed to be there.) Maybe SM didn't have that kind of input/control with Summit. *Sigh* Oh well. I just may have to explain this to my mom when we go see BD. (If she STILL hasn't read the books by then. Which right now looks like she won't.)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

I've been catching up on all the Breaking Dawn movie stuff that I've missed lately.

I just say Maggie Grace and Mackenzie Foy as cast - or almost officially cast in Foy's case.

I have to agree that while I don't hate Grace's casting as Irena, I don't love it either. Not exactly how I pictured Irina, but if she can pull through with portraying the actual character than I'm all for it.

I definitely felt like they were casting Renesmee too old when I read EW this week about Foy's casting. However, there was a tid bit attached saying there was talks to CG her face to other bodies in order to incorporate Renesmee's rapid aging. 1) They won't be saving on CGI for sure 2) I'd have to see examples from the professionals, but at the moment I feel that would be weird looking. I'd rather have an older Renesmee than a weird looking CGI.

Imprinting - I hope some interviewer/reporter is smart enough to ask about it in an interview. I'd like to hear what someone involved with the film and who knows the books/story with imprinting has to say about the movies depiction. I'm not big on the Jacob/Renesmee imprinting (not close to the severe extent of others though) but I still don't want it to look bad/stupid that it would disappoint the book fans and people looking forward to see that part fleshed out.

There is still so much time until the film that I feel like the BD movie know alls will string us along and release certain details systematically in hopes of keeping up the suspense.
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

The latest update from Bill Condon is very reassuring; it looks like he is really assembling an all-star crew for BD.

As far as the imprinting, the rewriting of a few key scenes could probably erase most of the issues. I’m thinking in particular of Jacob crossing some boundaries that triggers Bella’s realization of what happened, and then the subsequent “I can share” and “son-in-law” comments. Either write those comments out, or perhaps play them for humor (not sure how to do that)?

Some other observations on things I am curious about:

1.Jacob’s manhandling of Bella at the wedding, and then his howl as a parting gift as they drive off. This is a very tricky one to deal with; Jacob has to be there though. I’m betting they cut out the howl, leave the anger in, but take out the rough handling.

2. Jacob’s proposition to Bella. Not too sure about this. It works well within the story, as it shows Edward at his most desperate, but it also shows Jacob as still being in love and lust with Bella, and he imprints on her daughter in a few more days.

3. Bella drinking blood. I don’t know how you get around it. I have no problem, it is integral to the story, but the audience reaction should be interesting.

4. Bella’s belly incision. This is never addressed in the book, but I don’t think you can visually portray this and then not show how it is closed and healed, it will feel like a complete copout.

5. Charlie. Billy Burke is going to have to sell that one practically by himself. Getting those scenes right will be critical, but I don’t think Billy will fail us on this. Potentially some great interaction with Bella and Edward too.

6. The Cullen allies. Is the audience let in on the fact that they are still hunting humans while they are there? Another tricky issue.

7. J Jenks. I will be very, very sad if this is cut. Bella out and about in the Ferrari, mingling with us humans.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

corona wrote: 5. Charlie. Billy Burke is going to have to sell that one practically by himself. Getting those scenes right will be critical, but I don’t think Billy will fail us on this. Potentially some great interaction with Bella and Edward too.

7. J Jenks. I will be very, very sad if this is cut. Bella out and about in the Ferrari, mingling with us humans.
I'm not worried about the Charlie scenes. I love what Billy Burke has done in the previous films & have no doubt that he will be able to pull it off.

They HAVE to keep the J Jenks scenes in!! How could that be cut? That is a big part of the second half. It shows how Bella (with Alice's help) will do anything to save her daughter. Plus I just think it could be funny. And it really shows the extent of the Cullens illegal activity so to speak. I never really thought about it that much until this part.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I agree about J Jenks. That should definately be in the movie! But I thought Bella took the Volvo in stead of her Ferrari. Minor detail though. Correct me if I'm wrong!

As for the other points - I don't really care what the general audience will think. The movies are made primarily for the fans and they will understand everything. I agree that they should explain some things (like the Quil-Claire imprinting) just to make the story flow more. But I would hate it if they cut things out or tone it down just to make it easier for the newcomers.
corona wrote:1.Jacob’s manhandling of Bella at the wedding, and then his howl as a parting gift as they drive off. This is a very tricky one to deal with; Jacob has to be there though. I’m betting they cut out the howl, leave the anger in, but take out the rough handling.
Why do you think a howl would be to much? He's a wolf, they howl ...
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Suzan wrote:I agree about J Jenks. That should definately be in the movie! But I thought Bella took the Volvo in stead of her Ferrari. Minor detail though. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Why do you think a howl would be to much? He's a wolf, they howl ...
You are right about the Volvo, but it would be very cool to see Bella in the Ferrari. :D

The howl thing is a little trickier, it depends upon how they set it up. I am not saying to take the howl out, just that I bet they will. The way it is written, Jacob comes off very poorly, in my opinion, for his treatment of Bella at the wedding. Seth and Sam have to drag Jacob off from the reception, and then Bella and Edward leave eventually for their honeymoon some time later, after they have changed out of their clothes and said their goodbyes to everyone. In other words, plenty of time for Jacob to get back home. But he doesn't go back home, he lingers close by so that when they are leaving he can give Bella his howl of pain as a parting gift. Nice.
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

It would definately be cool if they could show the Ferrari! 8-)

Thanks for explaining the howling. It just never occured to me that he could have done that on purpose. I just felt sorry for him, because he was in so much pain.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689