Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Writers Central

Post by Amanda Beth »

My issue with Betas: I actually had a beta at the very beginning of LAF, and she started giving her opinion on the story and that got immediately annoying. I nixed her. Same thing happened when I tried to post LAF on Twilighted (after it was finished with almost 300 reviews on FFnet AND a freaking sequel). The beta I was assigned actually refused to approve one of the chapters (after it took 2 weeks to even get a reply) because she said it "didn't flow" [hence why LAF is NOT on Twilighted]. It came down to the fact that I didn't have time or patience to find a good beta. Unless they are a literary agent or an editor I don't really want someone else's opinion lol *end rant*

If I was going to join a challenge I'd probably ask someone here to beta it--definitely the only ff opinions I take seriously. I can't ask a friend to beta it because you guys are THE only people who know I write fanfic. If I was in a crowd of people, I'm probably the last person you'd peg as...well..me. My friends know I love Twilight, but as for forums and stuff? No way. I live a double life lol.

And you're welcome Kayla! Storyist IS THE BEST THING EVER INVENTED (for a Mac using writer at least lol)
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

I'm with you, AB. I don't use Beta's because of that very fact, as well. I am such a perfectionist that by the time I post a chapter, it's been alpha'd and beta'd to death. :lol:
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Hey, I need some help...
I was thinking about writing my next fanfic about Jane and her life..but does anyone know what Jane's last name was before she was turned?
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote: If I was going to join a challenge I'd probably ask someone here to beta it--definitely the only ff opinions I take seriously. I can't ask a friend to beta it because you guys are THE only people who know I write fanfic. If I was in a crowd of people, I'm probably the last person you'd peg as...well..me. My friends know I love Twilight, but as for forums and stuff? No way. I live a double life lol.
AB~ I guess that's what I meant... ask one of us. LOL! As for the double life... I'm with you there. My hubby knows, and my kids I suppose... but that's only cause they live with me! ;-)
Openhome wrote: The contest seems like fun, but I don't know if I will be able to participate. I have a lot of irons in the fanfic fire right now, and I am participating in NaNoWriMo, and I'm using my Storylist (I love you Amanda Beth for showing me that program!) to get ready for it.
Kayla~ Storyist is amazing, you and AB are very lucky! I'm dying for a Mac now!
On NaNoWrMo, I wish I could commit. It just worked out that I have 2 weddings to attend in November, then hubby is going out of town for a whole week, and of course there's Thanksgiving to consider! It's hard enough for me to write Kamakazi style as it is, so to have all that other stuff going on?? I'd only end up frustrating myself. :x It's an amazing concept though! Good luck to you!! (And all other WriMos participating too!! :D )

marielle wrote:Hey, I need some help...
I was thinking about writing my next fanfic about Jane and her life..but does anyone know what Jane's last name was before she was turned?
Marielle~ "HI!!" :D
I've never seen that info on Jane anywhere. I know she and Alec are twins, and are almost young enough to be considered immortal children. The sources I would check for more details would be things like The Twilight Saga: New Moon--The Official Illustrated Movie Companion, and maybe the Volturi featurettes on the Twilight Saga: New Moon website, or the bonus features on the different DVDs available. Good luck sweet girl!
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Surnames did not come until much later in human history and Jane is from the Middle Ages I assume since that's when they burned people at the stake (Inquisitions around the 15th century). For people of power they were First name "of" Insert Country/City. The closest thing to a "last name" a regular citizen had was their occupation or who their father was..."Peter the Baker" or "Peter, Son of John"...hence why modern day last names are Johnson, Robertson, Shoemaker, and other translations of occupations in different languages.

And that's your history lesson for the day lol.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Amanda Beth wrote:Surnames did not come until much later in human history and Jane is from the Middle Ages I assume since that's when they burned people at the stake (Inquisitions around the 15th century). For people of power they were First name "of" Insert Country/City. The closest thing to a "last name" a regular citizen had was their occupation or who their father was..."Peter the Baker" or "Peter, Son of John"...hence why modern day last names are Johnson, Robertson, Shoemaker, and other translations of occupations in different languages.

And that's your history lesson for the day lol.
Amanda, yeah that's what I thought as well, but I wasn't sure if SM ever mentioned something like a last name for the twins...

Ginnie, thanx for the link, might come in handy...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Alright ladies and gents. Wish me luck! I am signed up for NaNoWriMo! I have the characters and setting ready to go! The plot is almost done and the summary is written. I am so nervous about this it isn't even funny!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:Alright ladies and gents. Wish me luck! I am signed up for NaNoWriMo! I have the characters and setting ready to go! The plot is almost done and the summary is written. I am so nervous about this it isn't even funny!
You can do it!! 1,600 words a day isn't so bad!! Did you find a group in your area to meet with for support??
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Yep! They contacted me today! I even found three others from my little city who are in it. So, hopefully, I can actually do this. I'm so excited about the story! It's just a love story, but a very convoluted one. I just hope that somehow my kids leave me along long enough to get the thing hammered out on the keyboard!!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:Yep! They contacted me today! I even found three others from my little city who are in it. So, hopefully, I can actually do this. I'm so excited about the story! It's just a love story, but a very convoluted one. I just hope that somehow my kids leave me along long enough to get the thing hammered out on the keyboard!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I soooo know the feeling. Best of luck to you.