Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Writers Central

Post by debussygirl »

I signed up for NaNoWriMo too. I'm pretty jazzed about it. :D
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by JillOBean »

Openhome wrote:Alright ladies and gents. Wish me luck! I am signed up for NaNoWriMo! I have the characters and setting ready to go! The plot is almost done and the summary is written. I am so nervous about this it isn't even funny!
Kayla, we haven't talked in forever!! :(

I'm a bad Jill. I need to email you. :lol:

I'm SO excited that you signed up for Nanowrimo. I, too, am participating. *Nervous*

Are you using OpenHome as your user name? Mine is Jillian Landers. I'm such a creative gal. Anyone who is participating should make me their buddy. I have a feeling we're all going to need as much help as we can get.

Good luck ladies,

Jill

Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

debussygirl wrote:I signed up for NaNoWriMo too. I'm pretty jazzed about it. :D
If you tell us your name, we can buddy you!

I will be happy to be your buddy, Jill. :D
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by JillOBean »

Openhome wrote:
debussygirl wrote:I signed up for NaNoWriMo too. I'm pretty jazzed about it. :D
If you tell us your name, we can buddy you!

I will be happy to be your buddy, Jill. :D
*claps* It's so nice to see you around!! If you ever get on gchat anymore, msg me!!

My name on Nanowrimo is Jillian Landers. :mrgreen:

debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I'm jennaliz

If you buddy me am I your buddy right away? (sorry I'm a noob for NaNo) d:
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

If I wasn't doing mostly rewriting right now I'd sign up too!

I talked to a family friend who is a published author and she said something very profound to me when I told her about my rewrites: Writing IS the rewriting. Anyone can tell a story, a true writer is the one who is not afraid to say this can be better.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

So, this NaNoWriMo stuff. Do they give you something to write about?
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I think they give you suggestions, but it's your own idea mainly.

50,000 words seems awfully short for a novel...do people who are partaking in this know that? So far mine is 61k words and 227 pages (Adobe Garamond Pro in 12pt). If you look at bn.com most novels, even YA fiction, are MINIMUM 300 pages but Hunger Games goes up to 400 and we all know Twilight books are long. Adult books go into the 500-600s. I think the shortest I saw on the bestsellers was Diary of a Wimpy Kid which was 250. There's 250 words on a page of a hardcover so that's a minimum of 62,500 words. I read somewhere that publishers don't want to look at a book less than 80k because they do editing and stuff will be removed.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote: 50,000 words seems awfully short for a novel...do people who are partaking in this know that? So far mine is 61k words and 227 pages (Adobe Garamond Pro in 12pt). If you look at bn.com most novels, even YA fiction, are MINIMUM 300 pages but Hunger Games goes up to 400 and we all know Twilight books are long. Adult books go into the 500-600s. I think the shortest I saw on the bestsellers was Diary of a Wimpy Kid which was 250. There's 250 words on a page of a hardcover so that's a minimum of 62,500 words. I read somewhere that publishers don't want to look at a book less than 80k because they do editing and stuff will be removed.

I think the point of NaNoWrMo is just to get people writing. Like your friend said, writing is all in the re-writing.

Let me ask you this? How many of us have started a story, only to lose steam and never finish it? For me, part of the problem is that I obsess over details.

Writing the way that NaNoWrMo encourages us to means that we just have to spit it out. The bare bones of the story and theme are all that has time to get out. And hopefully, you can take it to its completion without losing interest or becoming distracted. Once you've achieved your initial goal, you can re-write, and research, and fact check, and add the embellishments, you know?

I didn't think I could write Kamikazi style, as they call it on their website, but I just spit out a 24,000 word novella in less than two weeks!! It's fanfiction, but still... That was a rush to be able to do that. I didn't know I could. I can only imagine how jazzed up I would be about getting through 50,000 words in a month. It would be awesome!

So, I guess I'm just say that I get the concept behind NaNoWrMo, because for must of us, we just want to be able to know we can do it.
Last edited by VirginiaMay on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Actually, if you look on the Nano website, you can see that anyone who wants to can try to edit and add 30,000 k to their story in December and January. Water for Elephants was originally a Nano book, and the site is supported by multiple publishers. You get a "winner's packet" if you make it to 50,000 words by November 30th. The contest isn't really for experienced fan-fic writers. Rather it is more for first timers. The idea is to get you to write it all out, to regurgitate words so to speak, so that the story flows. I am excited about it. I've never written that much without stopping to edit. It should be interesting to see if I can actually do it.