Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Writers Central

Post by Openhome »

Hi AB! Thanks for asking! I am just under 18 K words and loving the story so far. I would really like to send it to one of you for an opinion (OR you can be my FB buddy and look in my notes -- *waves at Virginia*) The process is fun, but more so because so many people I know are in it. I and the author Maggie Stiefvater are going back and forth about the merits of it, but other than that, most people are very supportive. At least, I'm not dead in the water yet.

I'm sure you will be able to get through your tough spot soon, AB. We all have them, and going on is the best way to deal with it!
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I just wanted to pop in and say hi to you ladies and wish you luck on the NaNoWriMo! I know for sure I could never do something like that and you all are great that can!
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Hi guys!
First off, thank you Virginia May for looking at my first chapters of my nano story.
Secondly, I DID IT! I wrote just under 52K in one month. The best part is, I actually like the story! I'm still working one it, but I had to take a few days off to wash the MOUNTAIN of laundry and get rid of about two inches of dust that had accumulated while I wrote.
Also, I finished my fanfic called Coalescence and posted one that I'd done a while back for LOTR. It's been a busy month!

How are you all doing?
Ginnie? You are really cranking out the fics!

Amanda, how are things with your story?

Everyone else???
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

74,155 words.

I've had to let it sit for a little while. The part I'm at is where the story gets complicated and it really needs to work if it's going to come across how I want it. I don't want it to be a love story but how I was writing it was becoming a bit too much of one. I want minimal mushiness. Enough to make readers(i.e. girls) swoon but not too much so people roll their eyes. It IS about a war, after all. I have a bunch of pieces of the end written but tying them together just isn't flowing.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:Hi guys!
First off, thank you Virginia May for looking at my first chapters of my nano story.
Secondly, I DID IT! I wrote just under 52K in one month. The best part is, I actually like the story!

Yeah Kayla!!!! Congratulations! You are so welcome, though I'm not even sure I finished commenting on each chapter, for which I am truly sorry- however as you mentioned, I was writing my own pretty-little head off all month (though not original fiction). I'm so glad that you had other support out there as well and kept up the pace. Congrats again for finishing!! Maybe someday we can say we knew you when! ;)

Amanda Beth wrote:74,155 words.
I don't want it to be a love story but how I was writing it was becoming a bit too much of one. I want minimal mushiness.

Amanda-- hang in there! I'm sure after being in the FF world it's hard to tone down the fluff, but you seem to have a clear concept of what you want and that is huge in and of itself! Congrats on getting as far as you have! :)
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Whoa... it's been a long time since I've posted something. I've been busy as well. Due to the normal turbulence of the holidays, I've hadn't much writing time... (car accident included...I'm fine though... car isn't... I had to get a new car... but everything turned out super awesome and NO... my new car isn't a silver Volvo. :P) I'm currently mentoring/helping/writing with a new screenwriter on a "horror" script involving rabies...I also got a heads up that an upcoming production company is planning on producing (its about time), my own entry into the world of werewolves and vampires. I don't know when everything will start, but my agent seems to think that it will be soon. I can't wait. So I've been busy...busy...busy... :)
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

alphanubilus wrote:Whoa... it's been a long time since I've posted something. I've been busy as well. Due to the normal turbulence of the holidays, I've hadn't much writing time... (car accident included...I'm fine though... car isn't... I had to get a new car... but everything turned out super awesome and NO... my new car isn't a silver Volvo. :P) I'm currently mentoring/helping/writing with a new screenwriter on a "horror" script involving rabies...I also got a heads up that an upcoming production company is planning on producing (its about time), my own entry into the world of werewolves and vampires. I don't know when everything will start, but my agent seems to think that it will be soon. I can't wait. So I've been busy...busy...busy... :)

Wow, alpha- congrats. Is being picked-up for production the equivalent of getting published in the screenwriting world? Or does the film actually have to get made to count? I always wonder these things as it seems studios have many, many projects in development at any given time.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

VirginiaMay wrote:
Wow, alpha- congrats. Is being picked-up for production the equivalent of getting published in the screenwriting world? Or does the film actually have to get made to count? I always wonder these things as it seems studios have many, many projects in development at any given time.
Getting picked up for production would be like getting picked up by a publishing company. In both cases the "author" gets paid (hopefully that will happen soon) by the production/publishing company, and they move forward to help produce the product, of which will ultimately be seen by viewers, whether in paper or on film.

Production Companies typically have a slate of projects for each year, while aquiring as many as possible for the future. This helps keeps the studios working for years to come, while also avoiding any lag time due to the inevitable WGA strikes. For most screenwriters the first step to getting their screenplay produced is the "Option". If a studio is interested in a script they will usually "Option" it, as in pay the writer a set amount of money (typically 10% of the selling price) in order to retain rights to the story for a set period of time, of which normally amounts to a year to up to 5 years. The writer keeps the option money regardless if the film gets made or not. If the studio moves foward and the script gets "Greenlit" then the writer gets the full sum, and possibly more, if his/her services are further needed, of which is usually the case due to rewrites. If the option time lapses and the film doesn't get made, the writer is free to take the project elsewhere, and get it optioned again. I've known writers who've made a very comfortable living just by having their scripts optioned.

My situation is a bit different, as I know the CEO of the production studio. His a personal friend of mine, and a long time supporter of my werewolf/vampire fantasy epic...as far back as...goodness... 2001... :P I've done numerous rewrites since then... of course. :) Writing is rewriting. At the moment he is gathering investors for the project as he wants to produce at least 3 projects next year, my script being one of them. If everything goes through, I will not only get paid the full sum for the script, but it will begin production, of which will be REALLY cool. I hope to set up a blog about the whole process, as I really enjoyed Summit's openness about the Twilight Saga and the filming process, but we'll see... I'm just waiting for that happy long coming phone call. :)

Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

My book will hopefully, if all goes according to plan, be a three book trilogy.

And I decided when I'm oh so close to finishing that I do not like the ages of my characters.

And because I'm a masochist...I'm changing them.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Congratulations Alphanubilus! That is quite a feat! I hope you will keep us informed of your progress. Writing a script is very different from writing a book -- learned that in Nanowrimo. The do script writing in April, and their hints on screenplays confused the heck out of me. However, I am very glad you are succeeding at it!

*Hands whip to Amanda Beth*
Ouch. I am just now editing things in my nano story, and changing just one little thing, like hair color, becomes a major thing when you are looking at 60 K. Thank God for Storyist and similar programs. I can keep my notes right there next to me, so that when I add or change a detail, I just jot it down. Still, that is a lot of work.

Ginnie! Congratulations on how popular your fic is becoming. Very well done!