Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Writers Central

Post by Openhome »

So sorry AB! I agree with MissP, though, if you love it, DON'T change it. However, if you love it and it really doesn't fit the novel at all, then tack it to a different story (kinda like having a girl's name picked out when a boy is born) ;)
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

And remember AB, a publisher may suggest a different title for your book at some point as well. Just go with your instinct for now. :)
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I thought of that too Ginnie.

And really, I tried tried tried to rationalize still using it but it is completely irrelevant. Sorry I'm always so vague on here about my writing... I just don't want anything on the Internet -- once it's there it never leaves (*insert evil laugh*) but the title was a play on words and I took one element out so now it's just ...well irrelevant. It's like calling a book My Chicago Vacation and it's about staying home in Florida and never mentions Chicago once lol.
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Hello everybody! :wave: This is my first time to post here although I think I know a few of you already. Since I have written anything... Yet... I am mainly here to lurk and read the conversation about publishing ff.

I do have a question though. I am attempting to write my first ff. It's a for a o/s contest. I'd really like to have it Beta'd. How does one go about getting one of those? I posted here on the beta thread and no one replied. There are like 90 something pages of betas on ff.net and that kinda scares me. I let me sis-in-law read it (or the half I have done) and she was really nice telling me what she like but, I want someone to point out what's wrong with it lol! Now that I think about it sis might feel awkward about pointing out my flaws. :blush:

Any suggestions? :?:

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

StellaBlueBella wrote:I am attempting to write my first ff. It's a for a o/s contest. I'd really like to have it Beta'd. How does one go about getting one of those?

Hey Stella!! So glad to see you here. :wave:

There is a group called "Project Team Beta" that offers a wonderful beta service, but unfortunately they've been overwhelmed lately and have put a hold on new story submissions. The hold is supposed to be lifted this week or next however, so you may want to check with them anyway.

Another newer option is a group called "Emergency Beta Service". I don't know much about them, but I believe they run something like a help-desk where you can ask any specific questions you have via Twitter or something like that. Don't take my word on exactly how the operate, check their website. ;)

I do have to say that I do NOT recommend using FF.net's forums to find a beta. That was a monumental waste of time for me last year.

How long is your O/S and when is the submission deadline?

I'm a little swamped right now and Susie can tell you my beta skills are just so-so anyway, but someone else here may be able to help. I found my very first beta through the Lex, so hang in there. Maybe someone will respond soon. *Crossing my fingers*
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Thanks Ginnie, keep those *fingers crossed* I need all the help I can get, lol.

The submissions are due March 5 and there is a 5,000 word limit. Which I thought was a lot but, its a lot easier to rack up the words than I thought it would be. *sighs*

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

STELLA~~Congrats on writing your first ff!! :clap:
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Hey all, I just turned in my entry for Twilight Saga to the Lex for review. I want the entry to represent the saga and such. It will be included in a new book that a friend of mine is writing that is an anthology of sorts of various werewolf myths, legends, films, and games. As Twilight has werewolves, he asked me if I would take the Twilight section. (Who said being a Twi-hard wouldn't get you perks. :P ).

In other news, I am branching out into uncharted territory. I will be adapting one of my scripts into a YA novel. I love the screenplay, but I think it will make a better book. I've written novellas before, but this one will be my first actual novel. Another first for me, is I will be using a female lead this time around. I wanted to use a female lead character because I've never used one before and the character is very intriguing. I was blessed with a one on one session with one of Hollywood's top guru screenwriter/author, and when I presented my book concept, he was extremely pleased by it, and said it would be something that would sell... Don't worry no werewolf/vampire romances. But I think Twilight fans or anyone in general will love the main character and her quirkiness. She is sort of an oddball. Now I am trying to figure out what voice I want to use. I'm leaning on first person, as it would be fun to be in her head, as she has an unusual way of seeing things, but at the same time it would create creative issues as it limits what can be seen or heard... We'll see... I'll let you know as I approach the project. RIght now I have to finish a few more things for my friend's werewolf book, and then I have to finish a screenplay for another friend, and then I can focus on my new novel project. :)

VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Thanks for the update, alpha! Always nice to hear from you. Good luck with the novel and congrats on the werewolf book going forward. :-) Take care!
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Alpha~~That's great news!! Congrats! I hope things go well! :D