Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Re: Writers Central

Post by missp »

no writing took place in my world today. BUT... I did do some reading on a VERY good piece of ffic! ;) @ Virginia May!
Snowstone
Learning to Love Green

Post by Snowstone »

Just a thought, to all who want to write everyday, how about a reminder? Check out http://ohlife.com/, I've been using it as a diary, something I never done before. While I don't write much, I always write everyday.
My Twitter
Check my little stories and photos, and give me some feedback
My FictionPress Profile
My Deviantart Profile
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Got a bit of writing business business out of the way. My old agent retired and I was sort of scared, as I've hadn't had to agent hunt in years, but I was blessed with a new agent provided through a friend of mine, of whom has opened his own production company/ talent management. This is really cool, as I'm already familiar with the people, and my new agent is LA based, so it makes meetings and such that much easier. I have both family and friends in LA, even though I'm currently residing in OkC. Last night the new contracts finally came in and I cemented my commitment! WOOT! It's always a good feeling to know that there are people out there who not only believe in your work, but are willing to get out there and tell other people about it. :)

I finished the "Van Helsing" part of my friends new werewolf book last night, and it is a good thing to, as I just got word that his publisher wants everything to be finished by MARCH!!!!! Egads... I still have to write about the new Wolf Man movie and Cursed!

missp
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

FINALLY!! A moment of inspiration hit me this morning while working on the story map for my new fic, Between Dusk and Dawn, and I am now in the process of RE-VAMPING - pun completely intended :lol: - the prologue and Chapter 1. I guess getting rid of the distractions - *Cough* idiot-man from moment of insanity *Cough* - in my life helped clear up a little space in my head for other things. So, I'm taking advantage of the moment! :write:
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I'm really lagging now on the rewrites, but I know they have to be done. When I went back to read it all I didn't find it gripping enough...it needed more conflict. My mom, who is the only person who has read it, said she likes the first chapters so so so so much better now that she's seen what's being added. Its just after writing 300 pages, it's hard to do such a big overhaul.
missp

Post by missp »

Glad things are shaping up for your book, AB! I know you'll be glad when all the rewrites are done. I am on my way to do a little more work on my new fic tonight. I was planning on doing it earlier, but I got a little distracted by a friend's AH fic. Ginnie is the :evil: !!! Mwaahaaahaaahaa!!! I am seriously so blessed to be surrounded by such talented writers! AB was the first ffic writer I read, and I fell in love with her stories. Kayla's writing helped inspire me to write my own. And, Ginnie is a source of inspiration on a daily basis! Okay... enough gushing. Gotta go strike while the iron is hot! :D
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Ah, MissP is too sweet. (She's also embarrassing me a little today, LOL!) I actually got an anonymous review yesterday on the same story she read, telling me how cheesy and corny it was. :cray: (just kidding, I wouldn't cry about that.) To be honest, I sorta wanted to respond by saying, "well... duh!" Its a 6 chapter, MA, all-human romance story! What did they expect? The solution to world peace? I apparently also committed the unforgiveable sin of typing Dartmouth UNIVERSITY instead of Dartmouth COLLEGE. This was honestly a typo, but I got a lashing for not doing any research either. Again, it's a fluff piece, which I sorta thought was obious. I'm not upset just slightly amused in a cynical way.

On another note, I need to be writing a conflict and possible (I-don't-want-to-say-too-much) battle. Any advice for the corny romance writer from those who've gone before her?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

EDIT : Congratulations, AB on her Hunger Games FF award nomination!
missp

Post by missp »

Ginnie~~He/she who lashes the hardest is USUALLY not a writer... just a reader who thinks they should be God's answer to the editing world. :lol: Research is all well and good, and some stories need to be just so where the research is concerned. However, some pieces are just for good ole' fashioned fun-to-read stuff! So, I say...Pish Posh on the lashers!
Hmmm... advice on a battle scene, ay? I would read Bree Tanner's novella. It really put the battle into perspective for me.
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I do know how you feel Ginnie. I got negative comments about Bella and Jake's relationship in LAF. A couple people wrote REALLY nasty comments. They were so mean that I wrote an authors note as a chapter. I shouldn't have in retrospect and let myself cool off first and ended up deleting it. What I did say was that there's a way to give constructive criticism, and I'm ALWAYS open to that. As my mother always said, "used your grown up words." I also remind myself that some of the reviewers are pretty young.

Oh and I had them drive a Porsche and people felt it necessary to point out the car only has 2 seats and I had 4 people in it. Ohhhh god forbid. :banghead: :banghead:
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote:Oh and I had them drive a Porsche and people felt it necessary to point out the car only has 2 seats and I had 4 people in it. Ohhhh god forbid. :banghead: :banghead:
LOL!! :lol: I had one guy complaining that I stuck with Volvo. :roll: -

Fortunately,other than the silly things, I have only had a few negative/flame reviews. I'm not at all surprised that they have all been on the one all-human story that I wrote. For the most part, I've noticed the AH readership is a little more fickle than those who prefer vamp and canon fics. With my both AUs people have always been constructive. Something like, "It's hard to see Bella being into cars, but overall this is a very good story." OR Here's an example of a not-necessarily positive review that was still polite and thoughtful:
I like (it), it's intriguing and well-written, especially compared to a lot of stuff I've read in this fandom. But like I said months ago when I last reviewed this fic, I still have several reservations.

Firstly, Edward's pining over Bella just seems so silly and out of place. I feel like it would've been better if you hadn't made Edward obsess over Bella, but rather have them meet in an arbitrary manner that really gets him thinking.

That's really it, I think. The grammar was fabulous, the spelling flawless, so I can't complain. :)

Happy writing!

Again, I could have been offended, but I'm not. I would take a hundred of those over the one or two those over the other kind any day!!

Moving on.... I got an email this morning that made all the not-so-positive reviews just evaporate into thin air! I was recc'd by LJ SUmmers on the Twilight Awards website! She made me mist up with the amazing review she wrote and I now need an emoticon that is somewhere in between the happy-dance smiley and the swoon smiley. I feel like doing both. Just... wow!!

PS: I really hope that my little announcements of late don't come off as bragging. It's just that you guys/gals were there to support me and answer my questions from the very beginning and I really feel like I wouldn't be here at all without my friends. Thank you all so much for everything this last year!! Now... I just have to finish this bad boy and be worthy of all the hype. :worried: )