What are you reading?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Jestak »

Current reading:

1) Second Shot, by Zoe Sharp. This is Sharp's second thriller about bodyguard Charlotte "Charlie" Fox. In this one, Charlie is assigned to guard Simone Kerse, who has just won millions in the British lottery, and her daughter. But not only is it hard to convince Simone that she needs guarding, but there may be more than one player trying to get their hands on the woman's new-found wealth. Sharp isn't really in the first rank of thriller authors, but she combines brisk pacing and intricate plotting, and these are enjoyable reads.

2) Traitor to His Class, by H. W. Brands. This is the most recent biography of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who I've admired for a very long time. Judging by the first 75 pages or so, I'd say that Brands may have written the best single-volume book on FDR's life.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Mid-evil times for teens. Have to think about that one. Cullengirl would know more titles.

I just picked up the book for Red Riding Hood last night. I want to read it before the movie comes out.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

fanMNM wrote:Hey guys,
Need your expert opinions :) Looking for a good book that references early European times...maybe Medieval Times? Maybe the Crusades? But it has to be appropriate for 6th graders. Suggestions? I appreciate it! Oh, and it can be fiction or nonfiction!
Hmm..I generally don't read much about this era, but here are some suggestions:

Pagan Crusades series by Catherine Jinks

Youngest Templar series by Michael Spradin

Crispin by Avi

De Granville trilogy by K.M. Grant

Would Arthurian legend work too? Let me know if I'm on the right track and I'll see if I can find more titles for you. :mrgreen:
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
BlueStarEgo
Lusting for Blood

Post by BlueStarEgo »

I'm on the 4th book for the House of Night series (Untamed) and the 5th for the Morganville Vampires series (Lord of Misrule). I've also finished the 2nd book in the Vampire Kisses series (Kissing Coffins). I have the 3rd; Vampireville, but the series is a little kiddish to me so I won't be rushing to read that one.

I'm thinking about starting the Blue Bloods series and City of Bones. I think that one is called Mortal Instruments. Anyone here have any thoughts on those 2 books?
Chrissy | Team.Edward(T)/Damon(TVD)/Eric(TB)/Adrian(VA)Peeta(THG) | Music.Addict
- - * will you still love me tomorrow? - Amy Winehouse
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

BlueStarEgo wrote:I'm thinking about starting the Blue Bloods series and City of Bones. I think that one is called Mortal Instruments. Anyone here have any thoughts on those 2 books?
YES! I loved the Mortal Instruments, especially book three. She's also come out with a pre-quel as book four. I haven't read that one yet.

The writing in Red Riding Hood is good so far!
Banner by Fry
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

cullengirl wrote:
fanMNM wrote:Hey guys,
Need your expert opinions :) Looking for a good book that references early European times...maybe Medieval Times? Maybe the Crusades? But it has to be appropriate for 6th graders. Suggestions? I appreciate it! Oh, and it can be fiction or nonfiction!
Hmm..I generally don't read much about this era, but here are some suggestions:

Pagan Crusades series by Catherine Jinks

Youngest Templar series by Michael Spradin

Crispin by Avi

De Granville trilogy by K.M. Grant

Would Arthurian legend work too? Let me know if I'm on the right track and I'll see if I can find more titles for you. :mrgreen:
Those were great!! I'm checking them each out now :) Thanks

Thank you Naureen!!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Your welcome, Fan!

BlueStarEgo: I had a really hard time getting into the Blue Bloods series. I barely read half of one book because I kept falling asleep. I do, however, love the MI series. There's currently 4 books in that series- the fourth one will be out later this year. There is also a prequel series called The Infernal Devices which take place approx 100 years before the MI series does. It doesn't really matter which series you start off first.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

I started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stieg Larsson, over the weekend; after reading about 100 pages on Saturday, last night I resumed, and I couldn't stop--I stayed up until about 2 a.m. finishing it (fortunately I had a holiday today). It was just as good ad the first two in the series.

I'm moving on to Lonely Hearts, the first in a series of British police procedurals by a well-regarded author named John Harvey.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

I finished Red Riding Hood. While the writing was good, the ending wasn't satisfying. In fact, the book sends you to a website that promises access to a "bonus chapter" AFTER the movie comes out.
Banner by Fry
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

The High King's Tomb by Kristen Britain
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson