Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
StellaBlueBella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Writers Central

Post by StellaBlueBella »

Thanks AB, MissP and Ginnie for your input! Honestly, I debated about what thread to put my previous post on. I know that not all writers posting in this thread write fanfic, just like not all the people posting in the fanfic thread write. Many of us are happy to read to our little hearts out without ever writing a word. I decided to post here because I really did have questions that I felt pertained to writing-slash-posting my work online. Someone wouldn't necessarily have to be writing fanfic to have an opinion on that. I really wanted to hear what other people's experiences have been like, so thanks for sharing. I was afraid if I posted in the fanfic discussion that people wouldn't take my questions seriously and they'd be dismissed as an excuse for self-promotion... I don't know if that really would have happened but basically it comes down to the fact that I feel less self-conscious posting about my writing here, in the writing discussion.

First off, I deleted the PM regarding role playing without responding and did NOT feel one bit rude about it. Thanks Ginnie :]

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience but I don't know if contests or writing oneshots are for me. I felt somewhat rushed both with the contest timeline and having to make everything I wanted to say fit in one chapter. For me, the best thing about writing for a contest was it gave me a place to start. I haven't written any type of fiction since high school and I needed that bit of structure. Earlier today I saw a tweet about writing challenges on that writer's coffee house website. I think I will take a look at those next. Just for exercise. I already have some ideas floating around but I want to be able to do them justice.

My oneshot still doesn't have a review but... Oh well. MissP put it much more eloquently than I will: reviews are not what I wrote for. And AB you are right, reviews of nothing but nonsensical net speak don't mean a thang. It would be nice to have some feedback but I learned a lot from writing that fic and I wouldn't change it. I told the story I wanted to tell and I feel good about the quality of what I wrote even though I am sure it can be improved upon.That being said, I would be honored if any of you felt like throwing some concrit my way. ;) And I did get an email that someone added me to their Author Alerts. I can't deny it, that felt nice.

• To comprehend a nectar Requires sorest need.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Hi Blasphemous!
It's good to hear from you again! It is very difficult to write a character I don't like, so I base them off of real people. :blush: I have to be in just the right mood to "become" a character I find abrasive or just plain stupid.
Hi to you too, StellaBlueBella!
I'm so glad you posted your story. I know for a fact that it was a work of love and that you grew as both an artist and writer during its creation. AND, you wrote one terrific one-shot!
Always write fiction and fun things for yourself. I do a lot of technical writing, and for that I have to remove my personal voice and focus on the job. In fiction writing, I can focus on the fun and not worry about pleasing others. Everything I've ever written for fun, no matter how badly it stank, taught me something.
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Thanks. Normally I find something I like about the character and focus on that. I don't hate any fictional characters (well except Voldemort and I can understand his motivations too) and i'm trying to focus on the hurt and betrayal this woman is feeling. It helps a bit.

As for ff.net traffic, I have a story six chapters in that's basically just a retelling from another characters eyes that has twice as much traffic and three times the reviews as a 25 chapter epic I poured my heart and soul into in a much more popular category. So I don't let reviews get to me.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

WOOT! Since Sunday, I wrote the first 9 pages of Wolf Prince as a novel! It took me forever to find a proper starting place, and because I intend the actual novelization to have a completely different feel from the movie script, the story begins totally different. I can certainly take the novel into places where the script couldn't go. I'm pleased. Almost done with the first chapter...

Of course what I never knew, until I started diving into novelization, is that there IS a standard format for even novels!!! 12 point font courier or New Times Roman...double spaced... 25 lines per page... I'm SO glad I found a template for that, of which helps me just write to write. :D

blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

I would like to issue a challenge to everyone who writes fanfiction.

If someone were to have stopped Hitler from being born someone else would have risen to take his place. So write a fanfiction in which a major character from your favorite story was never born (could be a good guy or a bad guy). What would be different and what would be the same? Who would have taken the character's place and how good of a job would they have done?

I promise to review everything sent my way as an answer to the challenge (even if I'm not familiar withthe 'dom)
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
twi-nerd
Fishing with Charlie

Post by twi-nerd »

Anyone have any good tips on how to begin a fanfic, I've been wanting to start one but I have no idea how to start... Any tips will be appreciated.
-Kimberly
My favorite band Pierce the Veil. I LOVE VIC FUENTES!! Thank you so much Chloe for the banner.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

blasphemous If I wasn't knee deep in my own novel I'd love to take you up on that! Don't agree with you with your Hilter theory though ;)

twi-nerd That's a loaded question. First you need to start with an idea. What do you want it to be about? What kind of fanfic is it? Canon (true to the Twilight story), all human(where the Twilight characters are human and put in human situations) or alternate universe (answering the "what if..." question). Figure out your plot -- the goal you want your characters to reach by the end. I suggest you don't "force" an idea on yourself...it'll show in your writing if your heart isn't behind it. If I hadn't been inspired to write my fanfics or my story now, I wouldn't have done them at all.

Writing a fanfic is like writing any story--and if you're a beginner you may be better off picking up a book on writing a novel to help you with the nitty gritty.
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

I finished the first chapter of "Wolf Prince" on Monday. I'm really pleased. Now, oddly enough I have to make a huge decision. The opening chapter is more of a prologue than anything else, and it ends with "Sebastian" retelling the tale of his life. As I didn't want to reveal his identity, I wrote the prologue in third person. Now that I'm actually starting the actual "meat" of the story, I have to make a very important decision... whether to tell the story in first person, or not. My lead character, Sebastian is in almost every scene in the script, with exception of a few. As he is retelling the story, it would make since to write it out as first person, but at the same time, it could later hinder me, in a few ways... So I dunno...

In the end, I think first person is the most logical POV for this story...so I think I'll try it out, just to see how I like it, and if it flows.

In Jane's own words... "Decisions...Decisions...mmmm"...

Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Welcome to the POV club!
Both Amanda Beth and I are writing novels as well, and POV is a HUGE decision. I cheated and went with both first and third, but I'm not sure how that will pan out. AB ended up switching POV from first to third, and it worked for her, so it isn't set in stone. However, you are right to weigh the decision carefully as POV helps set the tone of the story.
If there is a heavy mystery aspect to the storyline, I suggest first person. That keeps the reader in the dark and guessing along with the main character.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

I did write several chapters in first POV. It was at first the romantic interest for the main character (both are teens) that made me want to switch to third. I realized the one thing I really felt I missed out on in Twilight and The Hunger Games was Edward (ignore the partially written Midnight Sun) and Peeta's POV. I do believe that the story, especially THG, needed to be first person, but still -- I would love to know the inner thoughts of some of the characters. Then since I realized the next book would have a lot to do with the younger sister, I needed to give people a look into her head. It's also very difficult to write in the first person and make it sound really different.