Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Writers Central

Post by Openhome »

Sorry if you misunderstood me, but I think we are arguing the same point. Star Trek is a registered trademark as is the phrase "To boldly go where no man (one) has gone before." I was trying to (badly) discern the difference between a Registered Trademark and a Copyright.

You cannot use the three main character names from Star Trek in a SciFi book because it is a violation of both trademark and copyright infringement. The copyright of most books is based on the text or the original artistic creation, as Amanda said. However, for very well known works, the combination of names and setting is enough to breach copyright. Unless you are Mel Brooks -- then its sheer genius and hilarious.

The Wiki definition of a trademark is here. The government's version of both trademark and copyright is here. By the way, I strongly urge anyone who creates original art or writing to go to the US site. There are wonderful resources there.
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Haha we were :-D I didn't notice you specify SciFi novel.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Okay, Ya'll! This is the day that I will sit down and actually get some writing in!! It's a perfect "Forksish" day with rain and thunderstorms ALL day. The Cullens are playing baseball as we speak. So, as soon as I return from a quick trip to the cleaners and the grocery store, I'm planting myself in front of this computer to :write: :write: :write: ! So, I'll be back later tonight to check in with everybody. Have a wonderful Saturday!! :D
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Did you guys see you could win a Stephenie Meyer Autographed New Moon Poster from the Lexicon? I would LOVE to see someone on the forums win it!
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

So I'm in the rewriting process...still. It's really frustrating. I want to just leave the story alone and I've TRIED to...but then I'll be laying in bed or at work and I'll be thinking about my characters. I just can't leave them alone. Then I question if it's any good at all. I don't know if it's conceited or...whatever, but I went back and read reviews from my fanfics to try and convince myself that I'm not stupid for spending so much time and effort into my own book.

I want to throw something so I'm going to walk away from my computer...because I can't afford a new one lol
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

AB~~ No, it's not conceited! You are a very talented author! It is totally worth it to spend time on you own original novel. Don't give up on it. :D

As for me... I just can't seem to regain the same writing mojo I had this time last year. I don't know if the fact that my life has undergone so many changes has affected me adversely or not... I just don't even have the desire to write at the moment. :banghead:
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Well I'm officially in deep with the novelization of WP... It's been a fantastic process and while it is a bit different than my usual writings, I think it is wonderful. I love screenwriting, but I'm finding novel writing to be, in some ways, much more rewarding. Screenwriting is so restrictive in many ways, but at the end of the day, I'm still glad I know how to do it, because all in all, the script serves as a massive uber-detailed outline of the novel, of which allows me to move very quickly...at least for me. I started writing the novel about three weeks ago, and I'm already at page 42... with hopes of being well over that by the end of the week. I have the entire week off, and so I have plenty of time to write. I will be with family this weekend, and one of my cousins is a very talented writer herself, so I'm excited to get her input. She's been writing novels a lot longer than I have.

I think one of my biggest thrills with writing the novel is getting into the finer details in regards to the world in which my characters live in. With a screenplay, everything is set for the visual, and but I still have to write all of this expository information, to help me better create the visual aspect, even if none of it will be seen in the film. With the book, I can dive into the details, as long as those details help move the story alone. I don't want the book to feel like a massive encyclopedia, so I have to be careful, and as I'm writing from the POV of a restless teenager, I have keep it toned to what he would logically know and care about. It's a thrill. My agent has hopes that I can have the rough draft completed by May... I don't know about that, but I'll try. I tend to be a very aggressive writer when I feel like it. Just gotta keep my mojo. :D

VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Woo, Go Alpha! Keep it up! :D

I saw this quote on another FF writer's profile, and thought it was cute. Enjoy!

"Over and over I feel as if my characters know who they are, and what happens to them, and where they have been and where they will go, and what they are capable of doing, but they need me to write it down for them because their handwriting is so bad." —Anne Lammott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Thanks Virginia May!!!! That is a lovely quote!

I managed to write 16 pages today! That's amazing. I wish I could do that everyday... :P I'd certainly get done faster, but it doesn't always happen. Today was really easy though as I was writing one of my favorite parts of the story, so it came to me pretty easily. So my day has been spent writing and reading "The Twilight Saga: The Official Ilustrated Guide."... I am officially... tired.

Openhome

Post by Openhome »

‎*looks at 96,405 word COMPLETED manuscript* Whoa! That feels just... weird. Now I have to edit that monstrosity. I need a red pen, and quite possibly a chair and whip.