Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Re: Writers Central

Post by nissanmama »

Openhome wrote:‎Now I have to edit that monstrosity. I need a red pen, and quite possibly a chair and whip.
Show no mercy!! :twisted:

I'm about 14,000 words in on my latest mental wanderings. My two main characters are being shy, one is being grumpy, and a minor character is just being a nuisance! Humph!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Openhome wrote:‎*looks at 96,405 word COMPLETED manuscript* Whoa! That feels just... weird. Now I have to edit that monstrosity. I need a red pen, and quite possibly a chair and whip.
:yahoo: Woot! Go Kayla!! :yahoo:
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I'm content with my first three chapters so I'm going to start submitting to literary agents. I didn't know you could submit without having the book finished...but I guess you can and they'll sign you and if they get you a publish who likes what you've written you literally get paid to finish your book.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Thanks Nisanmamma and GinnieMay!! I am enjoying an evening with the family to celebrate.

AB, you go girl!! Keep us posted as to what happens with your agent search!
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

:clap: KAYLA!!! Congrats!!!

:clap: AB!! Good luck and let us know how it's going!!

My own is still in the stalled position. WfE... The Guide... The Hunger Games... the last 5 weeks of the school year... so much is in the way right now. :banghead: I do feel a slight tug now that I've been reading The Guide. I think by the time school is out, I'll be able to give it the attention it fully deserves. I may end up being a Summer-time author. Who knows?
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Congrats Kayla! That has to be an amazing feeling!

AB, good luck!:)
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Super congrats Kayla!!!! My own novel is currently at 41,000, and I'm not even close to being half done... Ugh... I can't wait for the editing phase though. It's tidous, but at the same time, as you already have all the important stuff out of your head, you can spend time thinking, tweaking, changing, and of course correcting. It's like sculpting, but with more words and a lot less mess... well unless your so focused that nothing around the house gets done (raises hand... Guilty!)... :D

Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Kayla, how many pages is yours? For mine 327 pages comes out to a bit over 90,000 words. I'm using Storyist so it's in the format a hardcover would print (average 275 words a page) in Adobe Garamond Pro 12pt. I looked up a bunch of books and the most common was AGP (I never knew a lot of books have the font used on the copyright page lol).
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Amanda Beth wrote:Kayla, how many pages is yours? For mine 327 pages comes out to a bit over 90,000 words. I'm using Storyist so it's in the format a hardcover would print (average 275 words a page) in Adobe Garamond Pro 12pt. I looked up a bunch of books and the most common was AGP (I never knew a lot of books have the font used on the copyright page lol).
Nice hint!

Mine is in courier and is 454 page in that font. I will change fonts and see if I can lower that number. Kinda scary that it is that big. 8-)

WHOA! Changing the font made it 364 pages. And it's pretty! Thanks! :clap:

Alpha: I totally agree with you, and thank you. My house suffers so badly when I'm in the throes of writing/editing. I'm so happy with how it's coming along.

And, I started my YA novel that I meant to do for the last nano. It was totally off the cuff, and now I am 3K into it in one and a half hours of writing. I am such a bad author. I need ADHD pills to get done.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Hello Ladies & Gents!

So a discussion I started over on the Fanfiction Discussion Board got me thinking & I have a question for y'all!

I wondered, aside from physical devices like flash drives and portable hard-drives; what back-up service, or online storage site, do you all use to back up your documents??

I just learned of Dropbox- if you're subscribed to the other conversation I mentioned, you know this, LOL - & I've heard of Gdocs obviously. (Of course, I trust Google about as far can throw them thanks to the whole Google Buzz fiasco.) Additionally I've used Windows SkyDrive before, but you have to upload files one at a time which is a tedious process when you have multiple folders, with multiple files for each individual project you're working on. I think my internet provider has a online back-up service, but if we ever change providers, that would be lost, so... I'd love to know what you're using, if anything.

Thanks!!