Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Biggest Surprise!

Post by bac »

What new revelation in The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide most amazed you?
by Laniyeah on photobucket
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Biggest Surprise!

Post by corona »

I haven't finished it yet, I've been skipping around.

Biggest surprise so far was Victoria's backstory. The fact she was the oldest member of James's coven. The fact that Heidi used to be in her coven. Her and Laurent's info fill in so much of what was happening behind the scenes in New Moon. I was hoping this would come out. Also the timing of the newborns is explained, why there were some created shortly after James's demise and then there was an explosion of them at the beginning of Eclipse.

It is eerie how many gaps in the background I noticed reading the books, and then how the Guide ended up filling all of those gaps and then some. Bravo, SM!

And I was absolutely wrong on one important point. I though killing Laurent meant he had never communicated with Victoria after he arrived in Forks, but he actually had given her a call and told her that the Cullens were gone. The only thing he couldn't provide was whether or not Bella had left with them, so he was going to investigate further.

The only thing still unknown is why he was in the meadow. I think he must have been following an old scent, but that wasn't brought up in the backstory. Oh well, just about everything else was.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

My mom's name is in the book. There's one letter difference, but it surprised me when I saw it.
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

corona wrote:The only thing still unknown is why he was in the meadow. I think he must have been following an old scent, but that wasn't brought up in the backstory. Oh well, just about everything else was.
I suppose there could be a few reasons. Following an old scent, just passing through, maybe he was making his way up to the baseball field (I don't know if they're near each other). It'd be interesting to find out.
suzzeeQ wrote:My mom's name is in the book. There's one letter difference, but it surprised me when I saw it.
Wow, that's so strange. How weird would it have been if it was spelled the same?!

A lot of things surprised me. I'm sure which one was the biggest. Victoria's backstory and her past with Heidi. I'm surprised we got the names of Nahuel's siblings. The fact that Collin is Jacob's cousin. I'm not sure if it was common knowledge before the guide, but it was surprising (and sweet) to learn that Edward's first kill during his 'rebel days' was Esme's old husband.
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
Marie Masen
Settled in Forks

Post by Marie Masen »

Two things surprised me.
1. Esme and Carlisle had met before when he fixed her broken arm.

2. Harry Clearwater had the heart attack when Leah phased in front of him.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

One thing that sticks out to me is the odd coincidences. Like the hybrid named Jennifer. She's from Ohio, as am I, I'm friends with a Twilight fan fic beta named Jennifer, and I have a character in some of my fan fics that I'm writing named Jennifer who was born in Ohio.

Just odd coincidences.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Until now, my biggest surprise was who kill Esme's husband... I always assumed that was one of the reason why Rosalie say that she have a better record than Esme... :/

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Post by Jeakat »

Marie Masen wrote:Two things surprised me.
1. Esme and Carlisle had met before when he fixed her broken arm.

2. Harry Clearwater had the heart attack when Leah phased in front of him.
I was really hoping that it hadn't been Leah phasing that triggered Harry's heart attack. It's a really common plot point in fanfiction (not that that's a problem per say), and I've always thought it was really sad. Hasn't the poor girl been through enough?! So I was hoping that it didn't have anything to do with her phasing.
Kate wrote:Until now, my biggest surprise was who kill Esme's husband... I always assumed that was one of the reason why Rosalie say that she have a better record than Esme... :/
Ooooh, I'd never thought of that. I don't see Esme as the revenge type, but then again I don't really see her as a human drinker type either. It would be interesting to know just what her record is. I can't exactly imagine Esme being a feral newborn!
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Jeakat wrote:
Kate wrote:Until now, my biggest surprise was who kill Esme's husband... I always assumed that was one of the reason why Rosalie say that she have a better record than Esme... :/
Ooooh, I'd never thought of that. I don't see Esme as the revenge type, but then again I don't really see her as a human drinker type either. It would be interesting to know just what her record is. I can't exactly imagine Esme being a feral newborn!
I have difficulty to image Esme killing anybody too, so, I think, wrongly, that maybe if she had cross the path of her first husban...

It seem that I was wrong! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
EverythingRemindsMeOfTwili
Settled in Forks

Post by EverythingRemindsMeOfTwili »

I, too, was a little surprised, intrigued by, and LOVED that Edward took care of Esme's husband. I had sorta always assumed that Esme would have done that (a la Rosalie's reference in Eclipse), but it makes sense that it wouldn't have been her and that Rosalie's reference had more to do with Esme having the normal troubles of a newborn. Esme was, after all, head over heels in love with Carlisle and was probably too distracted between him and her thirst to go after her husband. Another thought with Esme is that she was changed just 2 days after giving birth to her son. No wonder she was always the mothering, compassionate vampire. Talk about all that mothering instinct getting concentrated during vampirization.

And, I like so much how it was Edward who gave Esme justice (even if it was vigilante justice). Can you imagine what he SAW in Esme's head of all that had been done to her and that she probably never talked about? Edward's naturally so protective of everyone he loves. It makes great sense that it was him.

I, too, was also intrigued by Victoria's backstory---well, maybe horrified is a better word. It actually softened me toward her, I think...a little...I mean, she wanted to kill Bella so that's never okay, but no wonder she was so upset. Talk about a terrible upbringing!! And, she was rather duped to believe that James loved her and was finally giving her the stability she'd never had. Just another reminder not to anger the vengeful vampires. :)
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side."