Rob's Halfway House -- #8

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Rob's Halfway House -- #8

Post by Jazz Girl »

Good evening, my sisters. Sadly, my second planned trip to see Water for Elephants has been interupted by addressing issues with Hubs' Jeep. Alas, we will reschedule. But, as I had time to be around, I thought I would post something that made me smile.

First, a little backstory. I really must be sometype of masochist, one who enjoys heartfail rather than physical pain, however. For some reason, I decided to check out what the "official" critical reviews have been for WfE. To be sure, there have been some raving about the film. Variety, Roger Ebert, LA Times, EW, all gave the film fairly stellar reviews. But, there were some that threatened to kill my RobKowski buzz for sure. I honestly have no idea how it is that I can read two reviews of the same movie and have them say such polarically different things. So many critics lauded Rob's performance, stating at the least that his role as Jacob would finally cement his talent as an actor outside of the "teen heartthrob" label and in many cases, praising his ability to go toe-to-toe with two Oscar-winners and detailing his ability to bring a very complex Jacob to the screen. And then there were the ones whose names currently top my list of "celebrity" plane-crash first class. One critic even went so far as to say that Rob was even difficult to see on the screen because he is so odd-looking!! I have to write those reviews off as sour grapes and stereotyping. I cannot believe that they even watched the same movie I did! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: But, I digress. A very good friend of mine writes a local movie blog called The Independent Critic. Now, I adore this guy. He's fabulous. But, he and I have gone round and round about The Saga and particularly about Rob. He completely panned both Twilight and New Moon and was so caught up by the end of Remember Me that he could not bring himself to be complimentary. It was not until I convinced him to watch The Bad Mother's Handbook that he admitted that, maybe there was more there than meets the eye. So, in my bout of self-torture, I saved his review for last, knowing that I would have to actually take him to task if he said anything negative. So... well, just let me share a bit of his review...

TheIndependentCritic.com wrote:However, with his appearance in Water for Elephants, Pattinson is proving once and for all that he is a true actor ... admittedly, an uncommonly handsome one, but still an actor... the film is a sign of growth for the young actor who has said without hesitation that he aspires to being taken seriously as an actor....Water for Elephants may very well become the film that convinces Hollywood to take this young actor seriously.

Well, let's just say that that reinvigorated my high for sure. Tomorrow, Hubs, monkeys and I will spend the day with Easter runnings around and soccer. But, I have every intention of returning to the theater on Sunday for what I am sure will be the second of several more viewings of this film.

Susie~ I'm fairly inclined to agree. I'm willing to bet that the only thing garnering the PG13 rating was the love scene between Jacob & Marlena... well, that and the brief glimpse of Kinko's 8-pager. I did notice the decided lack of vulgarity and did find it refreshing. Granted, there wasn't much in the book and what little was there were a few slips in Jacob's internal monologue, which I'm betting he was to much of a gentleman in 1931 to say out loud, particularly in front of a lady, or used by the roustabouts in scenes that were not included in the film. I, personally, found the love scene to be beautiful, focusing entirely on the connection between Jacob & Marlena, rather than the actual physical act itself.

“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
newtonscricket
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by newtonscricket »

Popping in to say I've seen Water For Elephants!

Invisible incomplete review:
They had me crying beginning and end and in the middle. Amazing cast! Agree that Hal Holbrook and Christoph Waltz were incomparable. And the guys that played Camel and Walter. Final home movie scenes were so wonderful, didn't the baby in the bath look like a 1930s baby? How did they do that?

Loved the "baptism" into the circus, I'm sure the "women all gather round and kiss Rob" bit went on forever with the director yelling "Cut!.... Cut!.....Cut it out!"

Loved the credits even, especially that every animal was credited by name!

Quibble: I did not like that Jacob's childhood bedroom was peeling paint. No way hardworking middle class immigrants would let that go while the rest of the house was all tidy and square.

I've been busy with Spring Break and guests the last week, so was on a bit of a Rob hiatus. Saw Jimmy Kimmel and Ellen interviews and this movie. I am never not going to be in love with Rob!
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

I keep thinking of more things to say about the movie -

Hi to NewJen
- It's great to see you back and read what you've been up to.

Caryn - Sorry the 2nd viewing didn't work out - but this was you can more fully recover!

More Comments in Invisible Font:

About the only thing I didn't like in the screenplay was that the attorney settling Jacob's parents' estate was so harsh and insulted the Jacob's father character in front of Jacob during his time of grief. That was so unrealistic and also NOT the tone used in the book. Grrrr! He said something like, "Your father was very irresponsible with money....." with a very unsympathetic voice.

Rob did a fantastic Polish accent!

I loved the exterior train scenes shot near Chattanooga, TN - Sooooo beautiful!

Caryn mentioned the still of Marlena in the black dress and Rob in his work clothes embracing - Yes. now we know that it was a total set up and a very creepy scene. It bugs me that that is the movie poster - I see it all over the place now and I know that they are not really happy in that scene!!! It ruins it for me. What do you all think?

Bye for now!

EDIT - Caryn - I forgot to comment on those horrible reviews you mentioned - I agree! It doesn't sound like the same movie at all! It will all come out in the wash once this movie becomes a box office hit!!! You need to protect yourself from all those evil people, girl. TRY not to willingly seek them out.
Ilovetwilight0509
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ilovetwilight0509 »

:wave: Hi everyone, I don’t have much to say, but I enjoyed reading what everyone has been writing. I like how older twilight fan gave us her take on the Ellen show. He is such a guy. I like when Rob isn’t perfect, but I really like when he is dressed well. On Jimmy I just wanted to button up his shirt one button and lay his collar right. Lol PLEASE no one be mad at me for that. I know some of us was liking the flash of his chest. I love his face, personality, and music, but I don’t even care for my husband’s chest hair. Don’t kill me guys.

The only any kind of news I have to share is I think I guessed the wrong days for my husband to take off in case I want to camp out for BD. I know one or two people said they would like to go or is going what is your guess to the date of the premiere? Thanks.

I have to say I have heard that Reese and Rob didn’t have chemistry. I didn’t see it yet, but it looks like it from the pictures and when they interviewed together they got along so well. In one he asked about her honey moon and she said none of your F ing business. While laughing. They got along well. I can’t imagine they didn’t have chemistry.

Marielle, I say that she did seem to like it, but then I can’t blame her. Don’t be mad at me I wanted to button up his shirt on Jimmy.

Susie, I am blind. I didn’t think he got her. She def. pulled away. But I was wondering from the pics. Why he would kiss her with the cameras there that he know can see through the tinted windows.

Lulu- where are you moving?

Jazz Girl – I love it. That picture you had of Rob on hump day was a true color of his hair. I loved his hair color. In my pics it looked lighter. Hi hair. I lovehis hair and his face. I guess it could be worst. I can’t forget his hands too. His fingers are long, but there is just something about his fingers. What you wrote about your husband he fully and totally supports and enables me. Just great.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hi, Girls! I'm home from the field trip and I am WIPED OUT!! I'm in my pj's and drinking a spritzer. Bed time is not far away. I'll be back sometime tomorrow. I am sooooo jealous of all of you who have seen WfE already. I am going on Sunday afternoon. It's going to be my Easter treat to myself. :D
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Hey girls,

Just a quickly drive by today...I'm going to try and stop by later today but for now I'm going to spend some time outside...
the sun should shine soon and it will be very warm...

just wanted to say that although you girls saw Rob with elephant in the theatre, I saw in with my eyes closed...I think I dreamed the whole movie... :lol:

have a nice saturday already... :wave:
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Hey girls,

How can it be that I posted this morning early and it’s still the last post?????? Are you all out enjoying the weather or painting eggs?

Anyways, like I said in my early post I had the coolest Rob dream last night, I was so bumped over the fact that I have to wait until 5 May to see WFE that I dreamed about it.
In my dream the circus was closing and Rob had to say goodbye to the Elephant, he was really sad, everybody was really sad and we spent the last night cleaning up the caravans and drinking goodbye. I don’t really know what I did there but I was just trying to support him and he was really attached to me…
It was weird..

My day today was heavy… I was planning on helping clean out the FiL’s house so that we can sell it but we found out two large tile in the living room had broken loose so we had to repair that, I have been hacking away old mortar and glue the whole afternoon.. I feel broken…

Lulu, congrats on finding a good house…I bet downsizing isn’t easy but think of all the less room to keep clean and you’ll make it through

Caryn, I love to read your reactions to the movie. You are always very positive about Rob and it’s nice to see people write positive things about but I haven’t read any negative review about WFE. maybe the oscar can really happen...

Susie, I don’t think I believe you, I think you had a moment of shameless gutter mind ;) :D … hihihi… but boy I love a man with masculine legs.
I love your review on WFE as well…I can’t wait to see that movie, everybody is so positive... are you going again any time soon?

Dawn, I won’t be mad at you, I’m just shocked :shock: …how can a girl not like the man with the buttons open…I’m all for more buttons open…but that’s me I had a chronical disease named “gutter-based-mind”…. I love a man that is a real man, I’m so not for the smooth shaven well kept man…I like gruffy…

Well I’m going to spend the rest of my days with my legs up and chocolate eggs…see you all later
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Fly by posting.

We had BAD weather here last night. It was bad enough that the tornado sirens went off. Spent a couple hours in the basement. Luckily, nothing came by. Just lots of wind and rain. Hope you all have a great Easter weekend!
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Typical Holiday Weekend here at the Halfway House! quiet

Poor Marielle - I'm sorry not many of us were here today to talk to you. I'm glad you've enjoyed reading the WfE spoilers - I know many people want to protect themselves....and I do feel bad for those who can't see the movie for a while and we're going on and on about it. They probably feel left out and maybe that's adding to the extra quiet weekend. But it is Easter weekend too. I loved your dream - so sweet. I'm assuming you're going home tomorrow? Have a nice time with your family. Sorry about the hardcore tile work you had to do today.

JennJenn
- I'm glad you didn't get hit by that tornado. How is the One Shot coming?

Tonise - I'm glad the field trip was successful. I saw a lot of your facebook posts, and it sounded fun. I just read Stephenie's interview in The Guide and was blown away. I remember you said the same thing. It is a true gift to be let into her thoughts isn't it? It was just amazing and made me admire her even more. She's a sister too - even though she's basically the Reverend Mother of the sisterhood!! We'll have to discuss someday. You said that you definitely knew you were a writer after reading that interview. I'm not sure about fiction for me, but that really made me want to try it.

Dawn - About that kiss - we were talking a lot about Rob's reasons for doing it - to show the world they are a couple now that the Twilight Series has finished filming. Also that he was just soooooo happy with the reception of Water for Elephants - feeling his success outside of Twilight that he threw caution to the wind. Also he is a bit of an imp - pulling her in just to get the papz and to surprise her! Sorry, I don't have any info on the BD premiere date, but Caryn should.

One more thing from the movie in invisible font:

Rob's feet! We get to see a brief closeup of his feet being submerged in cool a Tennessee (I'm assuming) stream. Oh my goodness - are any of you "feet women", I mean Jaclyn has a thing for his fingers....... It was a little erotic seeing those feet go into the cool water. Am I crazy or did it have the same effect on any of you too?

Sorry to those of you not able to see the movie for a while. I suppose we should actually be taking this to another thread....Is there one?

Have a Happy Easter tomorrow - those of you who celebrate. I hope the Easter Bunny brings you lots of chocolate and jelly beans!

Bye for Now!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Good evening, my sisters! It's been a bit of a busy day for us, off to the MiL's to celebrate Easter with the fam. It was very nice; got to see all of my SiL's, as well as Lil' Miss and Baby A, good traditional ham supper, and we all just got to have a nice chat for awhile. But, I do have to say that one of the highlights for me was the fact that MiddleSiL brought her best friend, who is originally from London. I've met her before and she's got the best sense of hurmour ever. But, the best part is just listening to her talk. :lol: I don't know if you could tell, but I'm kind of a sucker for English accents.

NewJen~ Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that the carrying on during that scene carried on for a good while! :lol: If you watch the GiF of the scene, you actually see a woman's hand come in clothed in black and... well.. let's say aim low! I did notice the condition of Jacob's room, but I didn't think it was paint. Back in that era, it was very common for folks to build their own additions onto their homes as their families expanded and often the construction techniques they uese were less advanced. That's what I chalked it up to at least.

Dawn~ I saw a review or two that said the same thing. I heartily disagree. I thought the chemistry between the two was amazing. The only thing I can think is that it is because they don't immediately start mooning over each other. Marlena has to be very careful and guarded when with Jacob. Some people just don't understand or appreciate a good slow burn. As for Hubs, it's totally true! There's just no other way to put it. As of right now, I do have plans to be in LA for the premiere. My girlfriend whom I am joining there has attended all three premieres thus far. Theatrical release is Friday, November 18th. So, we are figuring that the premiere will be Tuesday, November 15th, but it could be as early as Sunday, November 13th. But, of course, this does not include camping time. The camp out for Eclipse was 4 days, so you have to include that in your planning.

Tonise~ Sounds like you had a wonderful field trip with your kids. Enjoy WfE and I can't wait to see what you think. Talk about a wonderful Easter treat.

Marielle~ Hope you enjoyed your chocolate eggs. Sounds like you earned them the hard way! I do my best to remain objective and just call them as I see them. I would love to say that the role of jacob is going to garner Rob an Oscar nomination, but I don't think he's quite there yet. Make no mistake, I see it happening very soon! But, I honestly believe he needs to be a little further removed from The Saga's shadow before he gets there. It hurts to say, but I think it's true.

JennJenn~ Glad to hear everyone is safe! We've been getting wave after wave of severe weather as well. Here's hoping for a beautiful day soon.

Susie~ Oh believe you me, I took very pointed awareness of that scene. I actually do have a thing for a man with good feet and, just like every other part of his body, Rob's feet seem just sexy as all get out. :shock: :twisted: I kind of wanted to reach out to him and give him a good toe rubbing!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS